Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 111

Thread: Petition to investigate judging gets record signings, makes Wall Street Journal headline

  1. #31
    Riveted vegarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Unlike Yunabots - I am not obsessed. Mao lost - so what. The problem with Yunabots is their total obsession with one individual - they call her a 'Queen'. They regard her almost as a goddess, with godlike qualities - perfection, unbeatability, infallibility. That is why they just cannot stomach the fact that she lost fair and square - because it's absolutely shattered their image of her as perfect and unbeatable. And given their obsession - its devastating for them. But ultimately, she is, like the rest of us, a human being - not perfect, fallible, beatable. She accepts that, and accepted defeat with good grace. Her obsessed fans obviously have not. They need to follow Kim's excellent example, get over it, and move on.
    Wow, thanks for the sweeping generalization and a dose of psychoanalysis there. I'll think on it and see if I qualify as this yunabot category.

    Minds you, as far as sour grapes go, upset fans are pretty harmless. I think it pales in comparison to an actual head of a state creating a "platinum medal" to award a skater who won the silver and publicly declaring him to be better than the gold-earning skater, but hey, ymmv.

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,719
    This thread needs to be transferred to conspiracy thread along with all the other bellyaching, whinging and moaning Yunabot threads. These people (the same old usual suspects - many using multiple pseuds) should confine there whinging to the one thread and should not be swamping The Edge section with multiple threads on the same theme. Sanctions required if they persist

  3. #33
    Custom Title verysmuchso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    This thread needs to be transferred to conspiracy thread along with all the other bellyaching, whinging and moaning Yunabot threads. These people (the same old usual suspects - many using multiple pseuds) should confine there whinging to the one thread and should not be swamping The Edge section with multiple threads on the same theme. Sanctions required if they persist
    Setting aside the fact that this poster needs to turn elsewhere with her sour grapes, this petition pleasantly surprised me; ***! 2 million people and counting actually care about figure skating! Way to go!

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by verysmuchso View Post
    Setting aside the fact that this poster needs to turn elsewhere with her sour grapes, this petition pleasantly surprised me; ***! 2 million people and counting actually care about figure skating! Way to go!
    92% from Korea
    and counting more

  5. #35
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Yes they were on the list of judges.

    She has been a judge for 20 some years...Figure skating is such a small sport tha guess what judges are often coaches, federation officials etc. The Russian judge was always going to be supporting Adelina. The Korean judge Kim. That's the sport. Nobody's found fault with her judging in terms of corruption.
    Oh my.

    Interesting that you are defending these judges as being fair on the basis that they were only exercising nationalistic favoritism and that it is part of the sport. Nice to know.

    It may surprise you, but if there is ever an argument for condemning the sport as condoning biased judging and getting it thrown from the Olympics, the statement in your post makes it. "That's the sport."??????? The Russian judge was always going to be supporting Adelina? The Korean judge Kim? That's the sport?????

    No, that is not the sport. Judging has to be impartial or it is not a sport.

    I disagree with your definition of corruption. Not sure if it is a cultural difference, but definitely a moral one. Keep posting. Keep digging the hole deeper.

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    268
    About 20 minutes ago, Korea Olympic Committee anounced they will send a protest letter to IOC.
    They said they will protest strongly and are now preparing for protest letter.

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    92% from Korea
    and counting more
    If, when the petition signing period closes, hundreds of thousands of non-Koreans actually cared enough to provide information on themselves and sign, then this is a pretty huge number. Do you realize what it takes to get that many people committed to make any effort, on any issue, including political questions of far greater import than figure skating, and this in favor of someone not of one's own nationality?

    Even if they eliminated every single Korean signatory from that petition, I'm fairly certain it would still be one of the most prominent petitions that change.org has ever had.

    I don't know whether the petition will have any practical effect, but as an expression of international dissatisfaction with the way the human elements of judging are handled (as distinct from the scoring system), it is pretty persuasive, IMO.

  8. #38
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    That's insane.

    Kevin VDP said in his commentating (I think during ice dance) that if figure skating was involved in another judging scandal, the IOC would kick it out of the Olympics. I really doubt that is what figure skating fans hope to achieve with this.
    That's what I am saying.

    Fortunately, most of these people who signed this petition were YuNa bots and mainly from the nation of hers. That makes sense.

    Maybe YuNa bots could learn a thing or two from Devoted Plushenko fans - make YuNa a platinum medal or something in order to honor her queen's status.

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    That's insane.

    Kevin VDP said in his commentating (I think during ice dance) that if figure skating was involved in another judging scandal, the IOC would kick it out of the Olympics. I really doubt that is what figure skating fans hope to achieve with this.
    We have to digress very far in order to discuss that. Judging scandals are a common issue in many major sports. Speed skatings, martial arts, wrestlings, on and on. That "scandal" refers to misconducts, not fan response.

    Also, I'm seeing some tiresome posts. The world doesn't go like YunaGold=Yunabot vs. YunaSilver=Fairness.

  10. #40
    Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,024
    We gave the judges a chance to judge fairly , now we have clear evidence they didn't

  11. #41
    Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvoff View Post
    May be you should read the protocols and try to understand the difference in the score before saying it is not right? I love that - let;s give the medal by signing a petition or by vote of fans, who has the most, then this athlete wins...
    I did, maybe you should

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,546
    Quote Originally Posted by enlight78 View Post
    We gave the judges a chance to judge fairly , now we have clear evidence they didn't
    Not liking the result is evidence of unfair judging? A lot of people find this decision not controversial. Yahoo Sports says 90% of the petition signers are from South Korea so the decision isn't that controversial anywhere else.

  13. #43
    Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    92% from Korea
    and counting more
    Glad they at least care fairness and take action

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    123
    i signed it to ask why Sotnikova's and Lipnitskaya's PCS improved 18+ points in a span of a month. Im still confused. I dont think their skating improved that drastically. I have been a skater and a hard core fan since I was 8 years old and Im not Korean. This is the most baffling competition result I have ever seen.

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    192
    Thing is if the Olympics were in South Korea, Yuna would have won hands down. If they would have been in Japan, I don't think Mao, even with her terrible short program, would not have scored so low and therefore would have still been in the hunt for a medal. What's tiresome about figure skating is that judging favors the figure skaters where the events are being held. I wonder why this is?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •