Petition to investigate judging gets record signings, makes Wall Street Journal headline | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Petition to investigate judging gets record signings, makes Wall Street Journal headline

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone who thinks Adelina was a "small name" hasn't been following figure skating too much. As NBC noted, she is a four-time national champion. That means the Russian Federation likes her – a lot. I've read on this very forum that she's one of Vladimir Putin's favorite skaters. That counts – for a lot. She's been a very competitive runner-up at the European Championships both years she's been eligible. She's always in contention if she skates well in the short program and sometimes when she doesn't. This is a girl the judges and her federation have always wanted to reward, and it just so happens that she gave them an excuse to do so at the best possible time (for her). Did I personally think she deserved it? Given her planned technical advantage (according to NBC) and what she put out there, I would have had her very close, but I don't think I'd have given it to her – I felt she was just a little too sloppy on the jumps. I'm not at all surprised this judging panel did so under these circumstances, though.

I knew who she was but never considered her "top tier" among the ladies, internationally. She did poorly at Worlds last year, which is a reason why they only had two spots for Sochi.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All of the results were fair except for the Russians. Suddenly Sotnikova scored within decimal points of Yuna's world record, with a step out and one less element? And her weaker skating skills, transitions, choreo, compared to that skate by Yuna?

Personally, I think the fix was obviously when they announced 149.9 for Sotnikova, how could anyone else not find that score preposterous?

Yes, it was over after they announced that ridiculous score. And anyone who thinks I am a Yuna fan hasn't been reading my posts.

starrynight

On the Ice
Not liking the result is evidence of unfair judging? A lot of people find this decision not controversial. Yahoo Sports says 90% of the petition signers are from South Korea so the decision isn't that controversial anywhere else.

It seems like you want to shrugg off the apparent problematic ISU judging system as a South Korean fuss.

I have heard this same rationale a lot though, like "It is just African Americans' issue because only a small percentage of whites worry about the separate but equal policy at public schools"; "Why does a faction of crazy girls want to vote like men?" Why is it so important who triggers the movement?

Ven

Match Penalty
No they weren't. The record-breaking (at least it should have been record-breaking, no thanks to the technical panel) skate of the night (and no, I'm not talking about any of the medalists) was scored like it was done at a 2009 Grand Prix event. Meanwhile, Gracie Gold ended up 4th. Wrongly.

Yes you're right. I forgot about Gracie, but it's clear she was propped up too and probably there was a deal between the USFSA and Russian federation. No way she should have scored 136 with a fall.

And I loved Mao's skate. In relation to Adelina's ridiculous score, Mao looked underscored, but compared to Yuna and Kostner, I thought they were all great. Mao got hut some on her downgrades, otherwise she would have clearly been scored higher. Even if she did get scored higher, I wouldn't complain. I'm a Yuna fan, but also a Mao fan, and I hope Mao fans saw the very nice comments Yuna made about Mao in the press conference last night.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I knew who she was but never considered her "top tier" among the ladies, internationally. She did poorly at Worlds last year, which is a reason why they only had two spots for Sochi.

That's what I meant. Compare with YuNa Kim who was the favorite to win before going into the Olympics, even compare with Yulia, Adelina was a surprise to everyone.

caseyl23

Rinkside

I've considered her a potential top name, but coming into the Olympics, she hadn't quite done it yet. Given her performance at Europeans, I expected better from her at Worlds last year, but again – I think judges have been waiting to put her in the top tier. She just needed to skate the performances that would let them do so, and this week, she did. I'm fully confident that most fans here knew who Adelina was and many thought this result could happen, regardless of whether they agree with it or not. As I wrote, the ones who didn't know her just haven't watched much skating – those four-year fans we sometimes talk about.

On another note, how brilliantly did the Russians' strategy regarding Adelina and Julia work out? Even though Julia failed to win an individual medal, she still skated lights-out in the team event, and going forward, their Federation can now market both of these skaters as Olympic champions, worthy of being given the highest marks. If they both stay in the sport, and if puberty isn't too hard on Julia, Russia could be on top of the ladies' skating world for a long, long time.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What Scott Hamilton personally feel was quite irrelevant compare with what the judging rules have written and how they were followed, isn't it?!;)

Hamilton doesn't have a lot of credibiity considering he was super lucky he won his gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.