Perhaps retiring for MK? | Golden Skate

Perhaps retiring for MK?

preztobe

Rinkside
Do you think it might be time to reitire for MK? Why not retire while on top? She has won everything that is possible to win...maybe not the gold medal, but, perhaps, this might be the signal to pass the torch to someone else and ride off into glory on top?

Crazycat

Spectator
I don't think she shoud. The only person who should deside for her to retire is, Michelle and no one else. As long as she has the will power to keep pushing herself and and the love for the sport she should continue on the road that she chooses for herself. I for one hope that she continues on to the road to the Gold in 2006.

lavender

Record Breaker
Lost of questions

Ok well I guess Elena, Irina, Elena L, Julia S, Arakawa and a few others should all retire now that they've got their titles and are over the age of 23. I think perhaps they could take whatever they are going through as signs that it's time to go pro. Why only Michelle? Michelle came in 2nd in the long and would have in the short if it weren't for all that went on with the timing of her short. She nearly vaulted in 1st in the long if she had completed that last lutz over a 3/3 and 3/3/2 combo. Why not stay. I think she has much more to give. I don't know but should Sasha give up after competing and faltering so many times.

I say they all should stay until they can't stand this sport no more even if it's not on top. From the sounds of it Michelle was totally happy and it only proves that she loves to compete win or lose.

NwSwEeTy

Spectator
MK shouldn't retire. She had a bad week and even then she still medaled at Worlds. She would have been higher but because of technicalities she was left lower. Plus also the judges didn't take all the necessary cheated jump deductions from the Japanese ladies. If judges had done that then she would have been higher, maybe not beating Sasha but deffinatly higher.

PatC

Rinkside
Not unless she wants to. Her life, her body, her choice.

I'm just going to enjoy watching her skate for as long as she chooses to do it.

lavender

Record Breaker
NwSwEeTy said:
MK shouldn't retire. She had a bad week and even then she still medaled at Worlds. She would have been higher but because of technicalities she was left lower. Plus also the judges didn't take all the necessary cheated jump deductions from the Japanese ladies. If judges had done that then she would have been higher, maybe not beating Sasha but deffinatly higher.

Well Michelle did beat Sasha in the long program and to me that says a lot since Sasha had 6 triples and Michelle had 5.

JOHIO2

Medalist
I think Michelle should stay and compete if that is what she wants to do. I think changing coaching to Artunian shows she's leaning toward being around for the 2006 Olympics. Why not? Uninjured, she can still be a contender, even without the 3/3.

I do think Michelle will be under a great deal of pressure to do the Grand Prix next season. She should because it will give her a better grasp on what it will take to win under COP. Personally, I think her spins are looking better. And if she can get 3/3's back, who but Sasha could beat her?

Arakawa's win was well deserved. She seems to have put together 3 excellent skates and did her 3/3 combos. Miki Ando will probably be pushing those quads (actually, with the depth of ladies in Japan, she is being pushed herself. All those 3ax. jumpers are consistantly throwing off difficult jumps.). I'm looking forward to seeing the LP tonight.

If Michelle wants to stick around, she'll have to put more tech and more competitions together. If anyone can do that, Michelle can. Hope she's enjoyed her "vacation," 'cuz the competitors are nipping at her heels. Congrats on your medals, Michelle. Go for the Gold as long as you want to!

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Excuse me, I don't want to refight old battles, but is figure skating a sport or not? If it is, then why would anyone be asking if the current world bronze medalist needs to retire 2 years before the Olympics? I can't imagine this happening in any other sport. Of course, this isn't on par with those who think she should retire to give others a chance. :rolleye:

Michelle gave 2 very lovely performances this week. She won the bronze medal and placed 2nd in the lp. She is still a valid competitor and has a real chance at the OGM.

My question is- why in the world should she retire?

soogar

Record Breaker
Considering all this retirement talk was somewhat started by Richard Callaghan (sp?), I think that the only skater who needs to pack it up is Jenny Kirk (haviing finished 18th) and she has an excuse for everything. Seriously, it's her costume, she feels sick blah, blah. I think the girl needs to eat b/c she looks really anorexic (esp compared to how healthy she looked when coached by Evy and Mary Scotvold).

I think MK skated great in her LP, but seriously, even if she had the last 3-ltz, she should not have beaten Arikawa. Arikawa was amazing and has the presentation to back up the technical skills. I loved her Ina Bauer.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Why retire? She's 23, Shizuka is 22. I really got tired of the teeny bopper years, those where most top tier skaters had little maturity to their skating. That was a major snoozathon for me. As far as Michelle goes, she made incredible strides between 2 years ago and last year and from what I see, none at all this past year. I'm not sure why, but I am sure she noticed how many talented skaters are out there at this time.

Enero

On the Ice
I think Michelle should retire when she feels the time is right. If that be after the 2006 Olympics or even after the 2010 Olympics, then so be it. It’s her life. However, I will be honest and say that I don’t find her (or many of the other skaters who have been around for a while – Irina, Victoria, etc.,) as exciting as they were 4, 5 years ago. And I am ready for a changing of the guard. Though I am disappointed that Sasha did not win the gold, I was happy to see others (Arakawa, Miko etc.,) starting to shine despite the veterans being around. It’s refreshing and for me, it makes figure skating exciting to watch again.

PatC said:
Not unless she wants to. Her life, her body, her choice.

I'm just going to enjoy watching her skate for as long as she chooses to do it.
Right on, PatC. Personally I think Michelle is just getting started on yet another wonderful reinvention of yourself. If she wants to stay, I think she'll blow the roof off a lot of arenas even more than we've seen in the past. Michelle is one determined, gifted, and amazing athlete. I hope she stays because I'd love to watch her skate as an eligible at least through the next Olympics and even beyond, as long as she's healthy.

I think of Katerina Witt coming back to skate in the '94 Olympics. She knew she would not be a medal contender, but she wanted to skate again as an Olympian. (Witt also wanted to skate as a free woman.) I'm not talking about Michelle in '06 because I think she will be not only a medal contender but a contender for the gold. I'm talking about beyond '06. Michelle doesn't have to win to thrill figure skating fans. Of course her fans and even others hope she wins, but even if she doesn't, she's still a phenomenon, and a gorgeous one at that.

If she's healthy, happy, and wants to be there, I'd be thrilled to see Michelle competing at 30.
Rgirl

preztobe

Rinkside
Agreed to a point

Enero said:
I think Michelle should retire when she feels the time is right. If that be after the 2006 Olympics or even after the 2010 Olympics, then so be it. It’s her life. However, I will be honest and say that I don’t find her (or many of the other skaters who have been around for a while – Irina, Victoria, etc.,) as exciting as they were 4, 5 years ago. And I am ready for a changing of the guard. Though I am disappointed that Sasha did not win the gold, I was happy to see others (Arakawa, Miko etc.,) starting to shine despite the veterans being around. It’s refreshing and for me, it makes figure skating exciting to watch again.

I agree that I'm tired of seeing the same routines over and over. Time for changing of the guard. Sorry to the MK fans.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I forgot to add that while I don't see why she should retire, Mr. RG feels that she should, and he expresses this opinion each and every time he watches her on TV. I have no doubt that I will hear this statement at least twice during this evening's broadcast, not to mention the one from this afternoon that I taped for him while he was working. He will say "same old, same old" about her trademark movements and her programs and "What does she have to prove already? Another title, another medal. Big deal." He feels she is as predictable as I feel his comments about Michelle are!:laugh: :D

I have to admit that while I find her "Tosca" program old hat, it's better than watching some of the less talented skaters during a splatfest!:eek: :D

Last edited:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Well, I hope not. She's the class of women's skating. Her triple flip had plenty enough flow for a triple toe on the end in the LP. If she works at it, I think she can have a t-t combo again. She just never really needed it til now. I don't mind a skater staying in so long as they're still able to compete for that top spot and I think MK proved today that she still can.

preztobe

Rinkside
Yeah, but

Yeah, but, I cringe when I see the SAME OLD THING....over and over and over again. Why did Michael Jordan retire? He'd been there and done that. When he came back? Well, it was just kind of sad, that someone was tryingt o hang on to old glory. Same can be said about MK. She should have hung it up AFTER Worlds of 2003. I think she's on borrowed time that's running out. Time to move on into pros or something else.

lavender

Record Breaker
Re: Yeah, but

preztobe said:
Yeah, but, I cringe when I see the SAME OLD THING....over and over and over again. Why did Michael Jordan retire? He'd been there and done that. When he came back? Well, it was just kind of sad, that someone was tryingt o hang on to old glory. Same can be said about MK. She should have hung it up AFTER Worlds of 2003. I think she's on borrowed time that's running out. Time to move on into pros or something else.

I find it funny how people are cringing over Michelle skating. I hope she stays so there will be more cringing.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Sk8n Mama said:
If she works at it, I think she can have a t-t combo again. She just never really needed it til now.

Never really needed it until now??? She lost TWO Olympic gold medals because she didn't have it. She's needed it since 1998! Yes, she's won World titles, but we all know that she covets the OGM or she would not still be hanging in there.