Cohen's Swan Lake #2 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Cohen's Swan Lake #2

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Another thought on the same old, same old. Sasha's "inconsistency." When I watched her short, I was SO impressed by her jumps (flutz aside). None of the wonky landings that I feel have characterized her jumps in the past. They were gorgeous and had a wonderful run-out. Sounds like the QR was similar. Why is it inconceivable that she just has a case of the nerves?

I cannot fathom the pressure that comes with trying to win a World gold medal. From a personal perspecitive, I'm not sure how I'd fare. Ice is slippery! I was very nervous as I was getting myself ready for a bike time trial yesterday. Really silly to be honest, but I have expectations of myself, and I don't like to fail. Riding slower than my competition is a failure. Clearly I'm competitive (!) and that translates into quite a set of nerves which does not help my performance. Thank goodness I don't have ice to deal with.

My point in all that babble, is that it seems reasonable to me to think that Sasha's issue could be as simple - well, simple to identify, not so easy to fix - as nerves. She has shown her wonderful skating ability on the practice ice numerous times, and in the first two rounds of this year's worlds (amongst other places). The wonky landings seem to my untrained eye to be a sign of stiffness which could result from being nervous. The _____ - insert the big words Rgirl used - analogy seems interesting, but could that be the case if she is capable of doing a full, perfect LP at some times but not others?

It makes me sad that she gets a bad rap for her "inconsistency" because it just seems so difficult, to me anyway. I don't know how someone like Michelle does it. In any case, I'd think a sports phychologist would benefit her. I wish her luck and would love to know her secrets if she figures it out:)

April

Rinkside
My initial reaction to the LP was how bland she looked and how the program was stripped of its nuances. Anything stripped is different when you try to put it back together. The music cut was a heavier and uninteresting. The cuts didn't lift the cheorgragphy. For the most part, hear jumps were okay. The spirals perfect and the spins were good. She didn't have that sparkle and fire I have come to enjoy. I know that program probably was better in QR, so where was the passion.Yeah, Wagner knows what she's doing. Sasha won that silver medal, and I can't wait to see a full Wagner program next fall.

thvudragon

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I seriously think if any of you posters on this thread did not see the Qualifying Round of Sasha's Swan Lake then yoyou missed an extremely great Sasha skate. It was super clean and she nailed everthingy in her own style. It was one gorgeous program. Later she did an impeccable Malaguena that had the audience on their feet. It was the LP where she lost the zip of the previous two.
I wasn't criticizing the performance, I was criticizing the program, or to say, a lack thereof. It is one thing to perform great, it is another to have a good program (See Michelle Kwan's program the last 2 seasons. Great performances, but poor programs).

Her QR performance may have been good, but that doesn't disquise the fact that her program is her worst she's ever done since 2000. It doesn't hide the fact that it has no choreography, and doesn't even bother to have musical, let alone program, coherence.

TV

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Rgirl said:
Anzwaz (in honor of Joe's reports from Germany--great job Joe:))

BTW, I didn't mind the split falling leaf. In the Q round, photos of Sasha show her with her back leg straight and her front leg above hip level--pretty spectacular, at least in the photos on Yahoo--so it seemed like it was better in the Q round.

:laugh: :laugh: re: the Anzwaz

Here's a link to the QR split falling leaf - http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20040324/mdf505386.jpg

Maybe it's just the picture, but I stand by my 'she's got a magnificant Russian, keep it until the left leg is straight on the split falling leaf.'

Interesting points about Jenny. I can't imagine what the loss of her mother has done to her. I've noticed the weight loss this year too. I hope she's okay.

mpal2

Final Flight
Someone please help my memory, but I think she deliberately lost some weight to help with the hip injury. I vaguely remember a fluff piece or interview where she talked about that. I'm hoping I didn't dream it. :p Anyway, I think she is trying to find the fine line between too little weight for strength in her programs and too much mostly due to the hip.

imanta

Rinkside
I did not prefer this version of Sasha's swan lake, but I do feel that overall she has definitely improved. I thought she looked more powerful and more sure of herself, especially in the SP (best performance I think I've ever seen her do btw). There seemed to be little improvements, such as with her spirals, her speed, her jump runouts. I'm not sure why her LP seemed to have next to no choreography. It just was not as interesting IMO, but I had read good things about it in the QR so maybe part of it was just Sasha was being tentative?? Joesitz stated that her QR performance was very good. I think this World's has been incredibly successful for her and is a good stepping stone. Both her and Michelle will likely need to have 3/3 over the next couple years. There are a lot of really good jumpers coming up and you can bet that at least one (Shizuka) and likely more will continue improving their artistry as well to catch up to Michelle and Sasha.

BTW, I was wondering if perhaps JK appears to have lost weight partly because she's been doing pairs lately? Maybe she's trying to stay extra-slim??

soogar

Record Breaker
I wouldn't be surprised if Jenny lost weight to appease Richard Callaghan. I think he drives his skaters hard and I'm not sure if he truly understands women. Nicole Bobek got injured when she was with him, Tara had gotten injured, now Jenny is losing weight probably to counteract whatever jumping he's making her do in practice.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Tharrtell......I have to agree. I love Sasha, and her Russian split jump is spectacular, but she does appear to have a bent knee on her falling leaf........no one does that move better than Michelle, but I saw a picture of Arakawa with a falling leaf almost as good as Michelle's.........42

About that dress. Sasha's dress was too long waisted. Her body doesn't need the extra torso thing. I would have preferred she use the original black and white costume which gave her a better figure.

Joe

imanta

Rinkside
It sounds like a lot of people didn't really like her new LP dress. I actually kinda liked it! I thought it was very pretty. It wasn't my favorite dress of hers, but it was nice. Loved Michelle's SP dress. Gorgeous.

imanta

Rinkside
Joesitz---did seeing Sasha's QR give you a better impression of the LP than many of us seem to have based on just seeing the last LP?

euterpe

Medalist
The one thing I noticed about the new program is how very front-loaded it is. TT had gotten away from the front-loaded programs Sasha had been doing under Nicks, because CoP rewards well-balanced programs.

All of the jumps but one (the one she fell on) were done before the 3.5 minute mark. Perhaps that helped her to land most of the jumps, but it also left the first 3.5 minutes as jump-stroke-jump, and the rest of the program rather empty.

There was little expression in the program, too. It came across as not only bland, but just a little boring. I think even if she hadn't made the mistakes on the lutz and the salchow, she still wouldn't have received 6.0s for presentation, and would still have lost to Arakawa. Arakawa's program had drama and technical impact (even though it, too was very front-loaded). Sasha's was dull by comparison.

kosjenka

On the Ice
Since I have not seen the 1st version of Swan Lake, I can not say anything about it. But the one Sasha preformed in Dortmund is the worst free I have ever seen. I am Sasha fan, but I haven t seen any choreography. where were the steps? I loved her Rach free, it was emotional and even in Washington she did not performed it so well, she skated with passion and smile on her face.
I think that here in Dortmund she was thinking how important is for her to win, so she forgot that she needs to skate well too. Better luck next year Sasha! I still love you!

dunja:)

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I liked her new LP dress.....just not on her. It made her torso look too long and her legs look too short. The other fit her body proportions better.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
BSF...

You hit it on the nose re the new costume. I knew I didn't care of for the feathers, but there was something else I couldn't quite put my finger on. It doesn't look right on her and I do think it's about the look of the body proportions. I think the turtle neck just adds to the problem. Might be great on someone else though. At least that's my humble opinion.

DG

soogar

Record Breaker
Maybe she traded her swan dress b/c she's kind of superstitious? Wanted positive vibes from a new dress.

The new dress was beautiful however I think that b/c the old dress was much better, people don't like the new dress.

I loved Arakawa's swan lake dress: it looked like Bjork's!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have never been so disappointed as I was with Sasha's LP. First of all, I loved her first b/w swan dress. When I was at Skate Canada, I couldn't believe the intricate work on that dress, it was gorgeous. TV did nothing for the beauty of that costume. OK, so I can let go of the dress but I can’t the music. Can anyone tell me why Robin changed the music??? There has to be a very good reason. Now, I could see changing some of the choreography to make it easier but to change the entire music cut wasn’t very bright. If Sasha has a problem concentrating then how is changing her music helping??? I am sure Robin has to know that. Consistency in everything seems like what you would want in the final big competition of the season. It was almost like a new program. When I heard the music at the beginning of the program, I thought -- oh no, why did she change her LP? Then I realized it was swan lake.

I am very disappointed to say the least. I am happy that Sasha got the silver but am wondering if there was some meaning in all that happened.

Dee

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
One thing that worried me about Sahsa/Robin collaboration from the start is the choreography. What makes Sasha's skating so very special is her musicality and expression. While I tought Robin has done a decent job with some of Sarah's choreography, I just don't think she can do justice to Sasha's unique talent. Having said that, I am certainly not ready to declare the collaboration a failure. There are many wonderful choreographers out there, and I see no reason why Robin cannot hire one of them to do Sasha's choreo in the future.

On the semi-off note, there has been some speculation as to whether Robin was going to be Sasha's "final destination", or just a temporary coach until the season is over. Then again, if it had been the latter, I don't think Sasha would have allowed Robin to turn "Swan Lake" into "Swan Puddle".

BTW, as to the dress... Sure the new one isn't bad, it nice and elegant. However, this all gets the whole program away from the Swan Lake concenpt.

BittyBug

On the Ice
It did get her to where she wanted to be (the podium), so I suppose there's something to be said for that, but I found myself completely perplexed during the first minute or so wondering where in the world Swan Lake had gone to - there was not swan left at all.

I hope this was just an interim quick fix to achieve a short-term goal and not a harbinger of the Sasha to come.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
I have never been so disappointed as I was with Sasha's LP. First of all, I loved her first b/w swan dress. When I was at Skate Canada, I couldn't believe the intricate work on that dress, it was gorgeous. TV did nothing for the beauty of that costume.

Dee

Yes. Loved her old dress. While it did look a little wiered and not so much elegant when she stand still, but it went so well with the movements she did in her old LP, the imagines she created on ice (swan spiral, forward scratch spin with arm angle over head, etc.) with this dress were so perfect and beautiful done. btw, I watched from TV, it did show the beauty and perfect match with the movments. The new dress while looks elegant and beautiful when she stand still, but gose no where with her moves.

And she skated without the spark she show in Campbell. But kudos to Sasha and Robin, finally she stands up in all 3 phases.