Cohen's Swan Lake #2 | Golden Skate

Cohen's Swan Lake #2

thvudragon

On the Ice
Sasha Cohen officially has the worst Long Program of the season. Her Wagner version of Swan Lake is her worst program every since her burst onto the scene in 2000. The program is absolutely horrid.

The music cuts are numerous and chaotic, vintage Wagner. There is even less choreography and transitionss, so now it is almost zero. Wagner has done it again. She's drained all the Swan Lake and turned it into a horribley generic piece of trash. That program is such an embarassment to Cohen. She's worthy of much more (and I'm not even a fan).

Cohen should drop Wagner as a choreography fast. I'm going to have nightmares about that atrocity for a long time.
TV

balabanov

Spectator
It's shocking...

How this program has deteriorated from the beginning of the season - starting out with such beauty, excitement, interest in the spins and steps, and wonderful flow and focus, and ending up a muddled mess of basically nothing.

Sasha is a mess.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I have to agree. I thought "Swan Lake" was a wonderfully intricate and beautiful program during the Grand Prix and even at Nationals....this version was severely gutted and surprisingly bland. I hope this isn't what Robin has in mind for next season.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Pegy or Dick (I think) said that Robin simplified the program so that Sasha wouldn't have to think so much and would be less likely to make mistakes. They made it sound like she had skating ADD. IMO they could have worded it a little better.

mzheng

Record Breaker
My daughter's comments "it looks like through together on spot". However kudos to Sasha's effort to stay on her foot all 3 phase.

N@d&A

Rinkside
Re: It's shocking...

balabanov said:

Sasha is a mess.

I don´t think is Sasha´s fault maybe Wagner´s intention was to make the programme lighter but she didn´t have the proper time to think in a better way of changing it.

I was very concerned about Sasha´s switches Tatiana for Robin I knew that Robin wasnt the proper thing for Sasha but well the season is finishing and I hope Sasha fixes her LP SOON

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Wasn't crazy about the changes either...

But I'm willing to give this a little time before "deciding" (like my opinion matters LOL) that Sasha/Robin aren't a good mix. Sasha medalled for the first time this year. Sasha stayed on her feet this year. Those are definitely improvements.

I thought the season starter of Swan Lake was much more exciting. But Sasha on her feet is very important at this stage of the game. It will be interesting to see what evolves next year after Robin and Sasha have the full off season to work together, and what programs come about.

DG

Antilles

Medalist
I wonder who will do her choreagraphy next year? ITA about the changes made. I didn't enjoy the new version at all.

soogar

Record Breaker
ITA about this version of Swan Lake not being nearly as good as the one TT choreographed. It was extremely watered down but at least Sasha stayed on her feet. I hope that Robin isn't going to water Sasha down to another Sarah Hughes.

However I thought TT did a wonderful job with Arakawa. She had a wonderful program.

I thought it was interesting how Dick said that TT "gave up on Sasha Cohen" while she was sitting in Kiss and Cry with Arakawa.

heyang

Record Breaker
How can you say she stayed on her feet? She had an obvious fall an a jump attempt and a wonky landing that caused her to skip a planned combo.

I think Robin's gotta work on Sasha's mental game. Based her not being able to skate a 'watered down' Swan Lake, it's obviously not that there's too much for her to concentrate on. The program prior to World's was much more complex with the same number of bobbles as the lP at World's.

I still think that Sasha's thinking too much about winning during the LP and that distracts her. If she concentrated on just skating well, she'd probably pull it off.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
TV,
ITA. I do not like the Wagner changes to the program, and I didn't like the new costume either. I thought the old one was a lot more interesting.

But...Wagner got Sasha a world medal. None of her other coaches could get her to stand up more than 1 out of 3 sections of the competitions. Wagner coached her to 1 in the q/r and the best SP I have seen Sasha give. I like Wagner as a coach, just not as a choreographer. Maybe TAT will do Sasha's choreography next year? Hope so.

soogar

Record Breaker
She stayed on her feet b/c usually Sasha has 2-3 major mistakes in her program. In this case, she had some wonky landings but they were still on one foot. She only fell on one jump which isn't bad esp since this is out of three skates. Even Mk had fell more than that in this comp.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
When I heard that they changed the music cuts in the beginning and lightened up the choerography I thought it was just a slight change, but this was an entirely new program. I don't even think they used the same orchestration of SL. The music seemed much slower, all the elements had been moved around, and the essence of what made this a great program was all gone. And I don't know why Robin opted to put a Falling leaf in instead of a Russian split. Sasha has the most awesome Russian Splits, much better than her falling leaf. They should have used one of those instead.

LBC

On the Ice
DORISPULASKI said:
TV,
ITA. I do not like the Wagner changes to the program, and I didn't like the new costume either. I thought the old one was a lot more interesting.

But...Wagner got Sasha a world medal. None of her other coaches could get her to stand up more than 1 out of 3 sections of the competitions. Wagner coached her to 1 in the q/r and the best SP I have seen Sasha give. I like Wagner as a coach, just not as a choreographer. Maybe TAT will do Sasha's choreography next year? Hope so.

I agree that Robin was able to do what TT couldn't. She did skate 2 clean programs back to back and she stood on her feet in the LP. Got that world medal. I do think the breathing thing has helped as while the LP wasn't perfect it was better than at Nats. I think Robin will be a good coach for Sasha. Choreographically I don't know yet as this was a redo of a program not one from scratch. I don't think Sasha wanted to do Swan Lake in the first place but TT insisted. I heard she's got a new exhibition program that Robin did so we'll see how that is.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I wasn't wild about the 1st version of this to begin with, and I really think Robin Wagner or whoever all was involved in the re-choreographing ruined it!! It is ONE thing to change a few things here and there, but a complete overhaul at this point in the season? Please. Worst of it for me, was they took out the one cool thing that I liked about Version 1.0 -- the scratch spin with the angled arms which with the original dress looked really cool. Yeah, she did do the same spin at the end, but at that part of the program, and with the new dress (apparently courtesy of Nancy Kerrigan's yard sale) it didn't have nearly the same effect.

shanilia

Rinkside
Wow, I haven't heard many people praising the new Swan Lake. I'm not going to praise it either. I just re-watched the old Swan Lake and cannot believe that it was changed.

But Robin's her new coach and she'll change it to her style. At least Sasha still scored well with the new Swan Lake. I wonder if they'll use it next year since this was the first time she skated it.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
As others have said, I thought the move was a good one strategically but not artistically. There was so little to that program it wasn't funny. Perhaps Team Cohen thought Sasha's perfect positions would be enough to carry the day even though the program was completely threadbare. However, people are absolutely correct in that it paid off -- Cohen had the best, most consistent worlds of her life and won her first Worlds medal -- a silver.

floskate

On the Ice
I just watched it and frankly I thought it was pretty dreadful. How could a program change so much in such a short space of time. I realy hope that Sasha does NOT have Robin choreograph her programs next year!!!