Did Yuna Kim Really Try? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Did Yuna Kim Really Try?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
actually even if Yuna landed a 3loop and Mao went clean in SP and landed everything in FP, they still wouldn't have won. It seems.

If Mao skated a clean SO with the triple axel she would have won gold. There is NO WAY that freeskate could have been beaten.

Krislite

Medalist
If Mao skated a clean SO with the triple axel she would have won gold. There is NO WAY that freeskate could have been beaten.

But it was beaten. She got 142 for her LP while Adelina got 149. do you think she would have scored 7 points higher in the SP than Adelina? No way.

VirMo

On the Ice
If the argument that Adelia won because she had seven triples, then Mao should have won free skating.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I don't think Yuna would have been crying the way she was if she didn't care. It is ludicrous to say she didn't try, you have no way of knowing that. Why would she bother if she didn't want to do well?

FlattFan

Match Penalty

Absolutely not. That freeskate was beaten hard! Mao was flawless and they dumped a bucket of ice water on her.
I can't believe Mao's absolute best LP lost to a hunchback troll on an imaginary ship by 7 points.

lifesaver84

Spectator
The score gap between Yuna and Adelinna sotinokova is around 5 points.

And Russians say this is because sotinokova has jumped one more triple jump.

But though Yuna has jumped one less triple jump, she did one more double jump. which means the total number of jumps is just the SAME.

Yuna jumped 6 triple +5 double while sotinokova jumped 7triple + 4 double.

The score gap between triple and double is just 2 points.

This fact shows if that was the main reason to have the score gap it should be more or less around 2points instead of 5 points.

and aside from that, we all know she has one double jump mistake in free program.

this means there must not be any score gap between Yuna and sotinokova.

Therefore Sotinokova score gap argument connecting to number of triple jump is nonsense

volk

Final Flight
The score gap between Yuna and Adelinna sotinokova is around 5 points.

And Russians say this is because sotinokova has jumped one more triple jump.

But though Yuna has jumped one less triple jump, she did one more double jump. which means the total number of jumps is just the SAME.

Yuna jumped 6 triple +5 double while sotinokova jumped 7triple + 4 double.

The score gap between triple and double is just 2 points.

This fact shows if that was the main reason to have the score gap it should be more or less around 2points instead of 5 points.

and aside from that, we all know she has one double jump mistake in free program.

this means there must not be any score gap between Yuna and sotinokova.

Therefore Sotinokova score gap argument connecting to number of triple jump is nonsense

Adelina did 2axel/3toe in the second half which means higher bonus. Kim easier 2axel/2/2 combination.

Becki

Medalist
On a side note, I really liked Yuna's LP music cut...it's very nicely put together.

yuki90

On the Ice
YuNa
3Lz+3T 10.10
3F 5.30
2A 3.63 x

3Lz+3T 10.10
3F 5.30
3S+2T 5.50
3Lz 6.60 
2A+2T+2Lo 7.04 
3S 4.62 x
2A 3.63 x 
Total 61.84

Sotnikova
3T+3T 8.20 
3F 5.30
2A 3.63 x

3Lz+3T 10.10 (Wrong edge. should get -GOE -1~-2 but Judges gave +GOE.)
3F 5.30
3Lo 5.10 
2A+3T 8.14 x
3F+2T+2Lo 9.24 x 
3S 4.62 x 
2A 3.63 x
Total 63.26 

the difference is only 1.42 point.
Their PCS is almost same in both SP and FP.
YuNa's step sequence got level 3 in SP and FP and Adelina got level 4 and 1.7 GOE.
This is fixed from the beginnig.YuNa was robbed of gold medal.

bara1968

On the Ice
Adelina did 2axel/3toe in the second half which means higher bonus. Kim easier 2axel/2/2 combination.

Ha! Look at BV difference above. Merely -2 pts difference.

And don't you know that COP does not differentiate combos from individual jumps? (i.e. 2A+3T = 2A , 3T) So direct comparison between combos does NOT explain ANYTHING!

By the way, in your logic, HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN CARO K BEATEN BY SOT IN SP WITH 3F+3T >> 3T+3T? HUH? Difficult combo, there it is. And Sot is light years away from Caro K in terms of artistry. HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THAT?

ginal

Rinkside
Yuna should have waved to the judges during her FS and then blown them a kiss a la Plushy...but she doesn't do tacky well.

wootie

Match Penalty
Right....Yu-na didn't try. That's why she skated beautiful, clean short and long programs. Yup, definitely not trying.

vegarin

On the Ice
I am wondering what will you say in the next Olympics in Korea.;)

Unless they drag Yuna out of retirement, I don't think Korea would be ready with anyone who can be a real podium threat, so that's a moot point.

Or not. I suppose Korea can put a puppet on ice and twirl it and give it inflated PCS and GOE and declare it a winner, and I don't think it'll be that different from Sochi. :sarcasm:

wootie

Match Penalty
Unless they drag Yuna out of retirement, I don't think Korea would be ready with anyone who can be a real podium threat, so that's a moot point.

Or not. I suppose Korea can put a puppet on ice and twirl it and give it inflated PCS and GOE and declare it a winner, and I don't think it'll be that different from Sochi. :sarcasm:

Basically.

vegarin

On the Ice
Absolutely not. That freeskate was beaten hard! Mao was flawless and they dumped a bucket of ice water on her.
I can't believe Mao's absolute best LP lost to a hunchback troll on an imaginary ship by 7 points.

That's just the thing. It wasn't just Yuna. Both Mao and Caro got dumped at the same time. Our three most decorated, most admired, go-down-history-as-the-best skaters in contemporary time laid down the best possible short (-Mao) and free possible. They all brought their A game and pulled through and laid down everything they've got, everything unique to them, everything that makes them them. Mao laid down all her jumps. Caro her pure artistry accompanying a rare clean skate, and Yuna, her steel nerves and poise that let her lay down a clean skate while skating last in her last Olympic while facing the audience that would rather see her fall.

And after all that, the judges told them, Nah, you guys are not good enough to beat Adelina with a mistake.

All three of them. At the same time.

They were all defeated by Adelina at the same time.

How am I supposed to take figure skating seriously now? How? How the heck can the ISU be OKAY with this? :bang:

elee011

Rinkside
I have no words. That's exactly what's happening with half of the newspapers right now. The other half are claiming that it was an outrage, but the other keep saying, Nah, her technical score wasn't high enough compared to Adelina.

Oh my gawd. Screw these people. Except that those technical scores they keep quoting included GOEs, given by the judges. At the BV, combined SP and FP, the difference between Yuna and Adelina were less than 4 points. Adelina's TES, including the 3 GOEs, makes it look like she did so much more, but the base difference was like 4. Plus her botched landing should have knocked it off to around 3.

And Yuna should've been more than easily able to cross that 3 points. If Yuna has gotten the GOEs from just last year, that would've been more than enough to overtake Adelina. If they gave her and Adelina exactly same amount of GOE (which is already outrageous), all Yuna had to do was score 3 points higher in PCS, which she more than deserves.

But the generic public have no idea. The half of the newspapers are saying this is totally okay and the judging was totally correct, insisting that while Yuna looks so much better on ice, Adelina has just so much tech score on Yuna so she totally deserves to win. Plus, hey, they gave Yuna a bit more PCS, right? So we're totally recognizing that Yuna is a better skater. Right, you gave her 0.08. more. But they don't mention that at all. They keep harping on how much connection Adelina had with the general public, and how much tech scores she has against Yuna.

And Yuna was flat. She wasn't the same as 2010. She didn't connect with the crowd. So it's all her damn fault for not attacking the program right.

Even last night I didn't realize this was how they were going to spin the story. I was an idiot. I can't believe it. Just reading some of these uninformed opinions disguising as experts make my blood boil.

Thank you, you echo my sentiments exactly.
I think I was relieved right along with Yuna who was simply glad that it was over. It was a grueling journey for her, and even her coach expressed that she was one of the ones to push Yuna, but after seeing the results, just regretting about pushing her to compete again. I was ready to accept the "silver" for her--because it honestly did not matter what medal she got. She showed us through her performances that she's a great athlete, a great skater.

But yes, it makes me EXTREMELY angry that ex-figure skaters, "analysts", and who-for-god-sakes-knows-fake-journalists devaluing her performance, saying that she didn't bring it or try hard enough. PLEASE. Those are the most asinine excuses for why they would give Yuna the silver medal and give the gold medal to simply someone who "wanted" it more. Heck, maybe if I "want" a gold bad enough, I could skate in the next Olympics too.

AND there's news coming out that Yuna was still getting treatment for a slight fracture in her right foot up until the Games, and was on painkillers the whole time. I should've known when she was wincing throughout practices, and for both the SP and FS when she bent over like it was too much.

INCREDIBLE WOMAN.

And Tara Lipinski should know better. She's a one-hit-wonder. Have some dignity, woman.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
All three of them. At the same time.

No kidding.
Mao's absolute best LP in her career
Carolina's absolute best LP in her career
Kim's almost absolute best LP (only one lutz is tight, but with good sped, good height, true lutz, still +1 to +2 GOE)

I feel like all three of them got tricked into participating in this charade to crown a Russian girl. Make her win more legit. Johnny and Tara, these two disgusting individuals, kept on saying Yuna only had 6 triples vs. Adelina's 7 triples. What about Mao's 8 triples? What about Carolina's 7 triples?

Line, carriage, speed, choreography, interpretation, all 3 should beat Adelina by at least 2 points in each component.