Did Yuna Kim Really Try? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Did Yuna Kim Really Try?

Ven

Match Penalty
Exactly. There was nothing she could do. This charge is as disgusting as Lipinski's "no guts" comments, who never came back to defend her own title at Worlds or the Olympics.

Yep.

Yuna was out there skating with a broken foot, on painkillers she couldn't feel her leg, against corrupt judges, booing crowd, as the last skater of the night with all of that pressure, when she could have just walked away 4 years ago.

But Tara ran away for good after she won her OGM. Who has no guts, exactly?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yuna's TES was 69 in the LP. What advantage does she gain when she adds a 3Loop?
3Lz-3T (same)
3F (same)
3Lo (-0.4 from 3S-2T)
3Lzx (same)
2A-2T-2Lox (same)
3Sx (same)
2A-3Tx (+4.51 over 2A)

She gains 4.11 in BV doing this. She would have come very close to matching Adelina's TES but wouldn't have exceeded it. Oh my god this analysis is depressing, I'm not going any further.

If Yu-Na skated perfectly with ALL of the Triples, though, I'm pretty sure her PCS would have been higher. The lack of 3Loop has basically been the entire method of attacking Yu-Na's skating and the judges were made more aware of it this season.

Ven

Match Penalty
If Yu-Na skated perfectly with ALL of the Triples, though, I'm pretty sure her PCS would have been higher. The lack of 3Loop has basically been the entire method of attacking Yu-Na's skating and the judges were made more aware of it this season.

The judging system does not disqualify a skater for not doing 7 triples. And it did not disqualify Adelina for lower BV than Yuna in the short program.

The judging system was disregarded and make-believe numbers were used in order to achieve a predetermined result.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuna has wanted to retire since 2010 but she keeps coming back for her country to get spots for the future skaters of her country. She really did need to be on the GP this season though to see how her programs stacked up against the other ladies. The new kids came on strong and were improving at a fast rate in just the last few months and were putting pressure on the veterans.

CarneAsada

Medalist
What about Carolina's treatment? She also landed 7 triples even if 4 of them were 3T and 3S. Yuna would've certainly needed longer setups for the 3Lo and the 2A-3T than for 3S-2T and 2A. Mao had to sacrifice program layout and some choreography to attempt 8 triples and Carolina decided to remove the 3S from the end of her program to land it among other things. It could've just been another excuse for the judges to hold her down.

Of course if ALL of the triples = 3Axel + 7 triples, Yuna of course would have won despite all the Russianflation in the world. It's a bit like Vancouver 2010 where Mao could theoretically have won with 2 3Axels + 6 other triples (as in neither one was ever happening), except in Mao's 2010 case, Yuna was just dutifully milking the Code of Points, and in Sochi, Adelina was just being cheated to gold.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Whoa, winning Olympic silver with two near flawless program isn't really trying? Expections to the Queen has grown higher and higher.

That said, in my opinion, I did think she could have attacked her skate a bit more. I though she had a lovely FS, but I kinda missed a bit more of that POW! that I know she's capable of (ala Olys 2010 and WC 2013). I found this a bit more reserved.

Does anyone know where I can rewatch the ladies FS skates? Can't seem to find some, and I really want to see them again and see if my opinion is changed...

mwk81

Rinkside
Yuna didn't try? She did her best considering it was an audience that by that time couldn't care less. The skater brfore her, Wagner, was trying to sell the heck out of her program, but they were having nothing of it.

flower97

Spectator
Well said. Yulia who falls and misses a jump scores higher than 135 and comes before Mao who landed a 3A. What do we need to say more?

So what is Yuna supposed to say in front of the reporters? I really really wanted that gold medal and I got robbed, and I hate judges...???

To VirMo, you write like you understand Yuna's mentality 100%, and she didn't win because she didn't want it enough. This really shows that you are not a true Yuna fan.
If you are a Yuna fan, you would know what a perfectionist she is and she would have never returned to the field had she not been ready to fight. She's never missed a podium because she's a fierce competitor and she fights harder than anyone you would ever imagine. This is totally different from Adelina smiling and waving at the Russian crowd to get that roar, and then flutzing, underrotating, stepping out of her jumps and getting positive GOEs.

EVERYONE HERE KNOWS THAT IF YUNA MADE ONE MISTAKE, SHE MIGHT NOT HAVE MEDALED.

Yuna had mentioned in her past that she felt that she had been unfairly judged in several occasions already. Going into the second Olympics, she had said numerous times that she would not care about the color of the medal, but she would only focus on perfecting her skating. Would she not have wanted another medal? Of course she would have!!! Otherwise, do you think anyone could have skated 2 additional clean programs at the Olympics with that Crazy Russian crowd?
She just meant that she doesn't need another gold medal to prove that she's the best in the world because she already had to go through so much to prove that she is the best.

:agree::thumbsup:

verysmuchso

On the Ice
This is really sad. From Thursday's event, both Carolina and Mao come away with a feel-good story, finally putting out a clean skate to garner the recognition that has long eluded her (Caro) and displaying the heart of a champion by bravely coming back from 16th place (Mao). But for Yuna, oh Yuna, only the backlash of having been robbed her gold medal. Was she riding her past laurels? Is she no longer the 2010 Yuna? Boy, wasn't she a little flat? The list goes on and on. Just to justify a very ostensibly controversial judging, just because it's more convenient to blame the victim than acknowledge a wrongdoing or the existence of chronic corruption. Do you, in your heart, believe that Yuna won this event despite this judging? Or do you believe she was bested by someone with a better ability? You have to make up your mind and stand by your convictions. Don't let your inner hyena bare its fangs.

blue_ice

On the Ice
Winning a Silver doesn't mean much to her and shouldn't to her fans. She already is a champion and has been for a long time.
Why she even came there? Unexpressive, boring face that showed indifference. I'm glad she is second, because she deserved it.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Yuna is an alien from outer space whose real parents beamed her to Earth when she was a baby. She spent her toddlers years bounding on rooftops. She only hides her true powers from the rest of us and pretends to practice. That's why she was able to waltz in and skate nearly perfectly and snag the silver medal without really trying.

blue_ice

On the Ice
Yuna is an alien from outer space whose real parents beamed her to Earth when she was a baby. She spent her toddlers years bounding on rooftops. She only hides her true powers from the rest of us and pretends to practice. That's why she was able to waltz in and skate nearly perfectly and snag the silver medal without really trying.

She stuck in Vancouver era. Only 6 triples, boring spins, nothing new. WTH? It's not a beauty pageant, this is sport.

spikydurian

Medalist
Yuna's 'doesn't care what colour' comment is aimed at playing down expectations. It does not mean she DOESN'T CARE whether it's gold or silver or none. It also does not mean that since she has a gold, she is happy to settle for less. No one spends so much time training for the Olympics for fun.

As for skating 'tight', what the hell does it mean? What seems to be tight to you does not mean anything to me.

littlepuff

Spectator
I just hate people accusing people of not trying. It's just so low to downplay someone's effort. Of course it's hard to return to the top level after a year of break.

vegarin

On the Ice
This is really sad. From Thursday's event, both Carolina and Mao come away with a feel-good story, finally putting out a clean skate to garner the recognition that has long eluded her (Caro) and displaying the heart of a champion by bravely coming back from 16th place (Mao). But for Yuna, oh Yuna, only the backlash of having been robbed her gold medal. Was she riding her past laurels? Is she no longer the 2010 Yuna? Boy, wasn't she a little flat? The list goes on and on. Just to justify a very ostensibly controversial judging, just because it's more convenient to blame the victim than acknowledge a wrongdoing or the existence of chronic corruption. Do you, in your heart, believe that Yuna won this event despite this judging? Or do you believe she was bested by someone with a better ability? You have to make up your mind and stand by your convictions. Don't let your inner hyena bare its fangs.

I have no words. That's exactly what's happening with half of the newspapers right now. The other half are claiming that it was an outrage, but the other keep saying, Nah, her technical score wasn't high enough compared to Adelina.

Oh my gawd. Screw these people. Except that those technical scores they keep quoting included GOEs, given by the judges. At the BV, combined SP and FP, the difference between Yuna and Adelina were less than 4 points. Adelina's TES, including the 3 GOEs, makes it look like she did so much more, but the base difference was like 4. Plus her botched landing should have knocked it off to around 3.

And Yuna should've been more than easily able to cross that 3 points. If Yuna has gotten the GOEs from just last year, that would've been more than enough to overtake Adelina. If they gave her and Adelina exactly same amount of GOE (which is already outrageous), all Yuna had to do was score 3 points higher in PCS, which she more than deserves.

But the generic public have no idea. The half of the newspapers are saying this is totally okay and the judging was totally correct, insisting that while Yuna looks so much better on ice, Adelina has just so much tech score on Yuna so she totally deserves to win. Plus, hey, they gave Yuna a bit more PCS, right? So we're totally recognizing that Yuna is a better skater. Right, you gave her 0.08. more. But they don't mention that at all. They keep harping on how much connection Adelina had with the general public, and how much tech scores she has against Yuna.

And Yuna was flat. She wasn't the same as 2010. She didn't connect with the crowd. So it's all her damn fault for not attacking the program right.

Even last night I didn't realize this was how they were going to spin the story. I was an idiot. I can't believe it. Just reading some of these uninformed opinions disguising as experts make my blood boil.

Ven

Match Penalty
I have no words. That's exactly what's happening with half of the newspapers right now. The other half are claiming that it was an outrage, but the other keep saying, Nah, her technical score wasn't high enough compared to Adelina.

Oh my gawd. Screw these people. Except that those technical scores they keep quoting included GOEs, given by the judges. At the BV, combined SP and FP, the difference between Yuna and Adelina were less than 4 points. Adelina's TES, including the 3 GOEs, makes it look like she did so much more, but the base difference was like 4. Plus her botched landing should have knocked it off to around 3.

And Yuna should've been more than easily able to cross that 3 points. If Yuna has gotten the GOEs from just last year, that would've been more than enough to overtake Adelina. If they gave her and Adelina exactly same amount of GOE (which is already outrageous), all Yuna had to do was score 3 points higher in PCS, which she more than deserves.

But the generic public have no idea. The half of the newspapers are saying this is totally okay and the judging was totally correct, insisting that while Yuna looks so much better on ice, Adelina has just so much tech score on Yuna so she totally deserves to win. Plus, hey, they gave Yuna a bit more PCS, right? So we're totally recognizing that Yuna is a better skater. Right, you gave her 0.08. more. But they don't mention that at all. They keep harping on how much connection Adelina had with the general public, and how much tech scores she has against Yuna.

And Yuna was flat. She wasn't the same as 2010. She didn't connect with the crowd. So it's all her damn fault for not attacking the program right.

Even last night I didn't realize this was how they were going to spin the story. I was an idiot. I can't believe it. Just reading some of these uninformed opinions disguising as experts make my blood boil.

The backlash surprised many, now they are worried if a scandal erupts, it will damage the sport. So they think they are doing a good thing to sweep everything under the rug, but then the cheating will just go on and on and snowball.

The "storyline" and "explanations" are all being made up out of thin air to justify corruption. That's all that's going on here, and they are counting on the public to just accept their opinions and be unable to understand the results.

But anyone who knows figure skating knows EXACTLY what happened.

Ophelia

Record Breaker

The near unanimous "shocked" reactions on GS, FSU, and ONTD, in addition to multiple commentators and skaters themselves speaks volumes. Just go through the threads and you'll see how everyone is going "***" over the scores.

I'm appalled that people are resorting to ad hominem attacks of everyone who questions Sotnikova's win as an "uber", and or chalking it up to "Adelina had one more jump!"

What we basically saw was Russia blatantly inflate the scores of its own athletes so they could medal, right in front of everyone's faces. I'm so disappointed and disheartened by both 1) the score rigging, and 2) the whitewashing of what happened.

vegarin

On the Ice
Why she even came there? Unexpressive, boring face that showed indifference. I'm glad she is second, because she deserved it.

Seriously. Stop. Stop.

You guys won, all right? You guys really screwed the veteran skaters over properly, and it was so amazingly well executed that we're in awe. So please, go away and leave Yuna alone.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Yu Na's 3L wouldn't have made a difference. The gold was Adelina's when she ended her program.

If Mao went clean in the SP and landed everything in the FS, she would have won. She was 26 points behind Sotnikova. A clean SP would have at least scored 75 points for her (so, 20 points higher), and no URs in her FS would have scored over 4 points higher, even with the ridiculously low PCS compared to Sotnikova.

No, Mao would not win.

The judges were nice to her in the LP because they know she has no shot.
They felt bad for her after the SP.

They didn't even call her out for the 3A

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Are you ******* kidding me? Kim didn't really try?

Anyway, replacing the 2A with the 3Lo, she would still lose. BV goes up by 1.7. Hardly any GOE gain for your worst element compare to the 2A.

Same PCS. Same GOE on jumps. (so laughable)
Less points on steps. (wth!)
Less points on spins. (ok, maybe justifiable)

Really, there's no way she can win even with 7 triples. And this is why it's so ****** up.

7 triples Caro and 7 triples Kim are not worth the same as 7 triples Adelina (flutzing and all)
Mao would need a clean SP, and clean LP without dubious UR calls to even come close. Mao's 3T was more rotated than Adelina's 3T, but if you aren't Russian, they will take you down.