Who will be dominating Ladies figure skating? | Golden Skate

Who will be dominating Ladies figure skating?

swc0931

Rinkside
Kim,Mao and Carol is retired in this season,

Who will be dominated ladies figure skating in next season?

It was Japan VS Korea before, now i think it will be Russia vs USA.

In my opinion Russian ladies are more artistic than USA ladies. (flexibility!!!!)

But USA ladies are technically better than Russia ladies. (I like jump style of Gracie and Polina) +they have better quality of jump.

Both Korea and Japan don't have next Yuna and Mao, now it is back to American and European..

Also, it will be very interesting to see how two Russia ladies' PCS are changed after the Olympic..

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I think many sports go through cycles, with countries dominating and having rebuilding periods. The US and Russia were having a rebuilding period for women while the Japanese and Koreans were on top (well, I guess only one Korean, but still). Now Japan, Korea, Italy etc will go to a rebuilding period, while USA and Russia will dominate. Then the same thing will happen and other countries will be on top...

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
I don't think we will have ONE ladies skater dominating, but I think the top contenders for the next years will be Sotnikova, Lipnitskaia and Gold. If clean Sotnikova should win, but I'm still thinking Lipnitskaias consistency will prevail a couple of times. If she keeps up her consistency and artistic improvement, Gold should be a threat next season.

On the rise: USA, Russia
Going down: Japan, Italy, South Korea

Up-and-comer Edmunds has a lot of potential, but other than that USA doesn't have the next hot thing, though Junior Worlds will tell more.

Radionova has already shown good results on senior level and should rise barring continuing injuries. Russia seems to have a steady supply of ladies to take over, though besides the already names mentioned I'm not ready to pin-point the next big thing.

Japan will decline with Suzuki and especially Asada retiring. Murakami might stay, but is quite inconsistent and doesn't have the same difficulty as the americans and russians. Promising juniors don't seem to be there (Miyahara jumps too small), so the next wave might the current novices who have shown promise.

Both Italy and South Korea will fall off the map with their star skaters retiring. Italy doesn't have junior prospects, and the SK juniors still need much more work.

Manitou

Medalist
US and Russian teens. New youth and new energy. It's going to be fun to watch!

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Back in 2008, I remember when people believed the trio of Flatt, Nagasu, and Zhang would lead domiance of the Ladies discipline by the Untied States. With talk of Radionova being sidelined by a growth spurt, one country's stable of skaters could end up with a short shelf life.

Amei

Record Breaker
But USA ladies are technically better than Russia ladies. (I like jump style of Gracie and Polina) +they have better quality of jump.

I don't necessarily agree on that the Americans have better technique, their lack of height on jumps (in particular Lipnitskaia) is more to do with their physical size and muscle size - Wagner has more bulk power muscle vs. Lipnitskaia who has longer muscles more like a dancer.

And while Gold has jumps that go higher, Lipnitskaia does cover a lot of distance and lands them a lot more natural (IMO) than Gold.

Amei

Record Breaker
Back in 2008, I remember when people believed the trio of Flatt, Nagasu, and Zhang would lead domiance of the Ladies discipline by the Untied States.

It's difficult to say specific skaters, but I feel that Russia will dominate the sport in the next quad; Lipnitskaia is very consistent and has shown improvement between last year and this year. I think Adelina will be a threat because of her jumps, and they have a steady stream of superb jr. skaters.

I remember in 2011 when everyone was raving about Elizaveta Tuktamysheva and saying she was in prime position for the Olympics, and she never really competed at a level to contend for 1 of Russia's 2 spots this year.

With talk of Radionova being sidelined by a growth spurt, one country's stable of skaters could end up with a short shelf life.

Last year Lipnitskaia missed the GPF, Sr. Nationals and was clearly not at the top of her game at Jr. Nationals or Worlds because of injuries and puberty. They interviewed her mother and she said that Julia had 7 injuries last year. And this year Julia came back better.

I do question Elena's ability to stay healthy, her legs seem very 'twiggy' and I remember they said that her parents initially put her into the sport to help strengthen her weak legs.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I hope Radionova comes back strong next season -- she was so charming at Skate America. I enjoy Sotnikova very much also, these Oly results notwithstanding (meaning she certainly had no part in any possible scandal, all she did was skate well), and JuLip and Tukt (hope she also comes back strong) too, thought not as much as Sot (just personal preference).

Oops, I guess I'm not really answering the question -- I don't know who will dominate, but I do think these skaters will be key players. I hope Edmunds and Gold are, also. I like Gold's skating quite a bit; she has some really nice choreo flourishes and she can really hit them right on time with the music, as she did in her Oly LP -- and to me that adds nuance to her performance, and I don't find her as cold or wooden as others do.

Agree it's hard to say about Murakami. Osmond should still be in the mix, hopefully, too.

But it is certainly a fool's game to predict now, as Srin Odessa already said.

LRK

Record Breaker
I think the Russians advantage is that... there seem to be such an awful lot of promising young ladies. So, chances are that some of them at least will make it through growth spurts or whatever. Even if one cannot say just who.

lutzlover

On the Ice
Wait, what happened to Elena?

And I believe the upcoming Americans and Russians will "dominate", as well as Gold, Edmunds, Sotnikova, and Lipnitskaya. However, I'm rooting for Osmond to improve and start winning :)

Juliasochi

Match Penalty
Without cleaning up the mess, what is the point to discuss this. Russians can always collect those meaningless medals with corrupt judges in their corner.

jkun

Final Flight
I think Worlds in Japan will tell a lot about what will happen in the next quad. It will depend on how PCS is rewarded: the proper values or the values received at olympics (as if to justify them at another competition).

fadeevfan

Rinkside
Back in 2008, I remember when people believed the trio of Flatt, Nagasu, and Zhang would lead domiance of the Ladies discipline by the Untied States. With talk of Radionova being sidelined by a growth spurt, one country's stable of skaters could end up with a short shelf life.

This. Sotnikova is the only Russian I'm convinced is safe from adolescence. And Pogo, probably.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't think Sotnikova will dominate. She'll win some titles, but Gracie Gold and Julia will catch up to or surpass her. If Kanako stays she'll be a contender, but I heard she was retiring. Others to watch - Radionova, Satoko Miyahara, Polina Edmunds, Zijun Li. I'm not sure about the Canadian ladies. I think Daleman may eventually overtake Osmond.

NMURA

Medalist
In Russia no lady can expect consistent "pushes" from the federations. There will be always ups and downs. Quite impressive to see the change in just one SP. If Sotnikova does poorly at worlds, she can lose her position easily. In this sense, Gold is more advantageous because no other US ladies would challenge her in near future.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
In Russia no lady can expect consistent "pushes" from the federations. There will be always ups and downs. Quite impressive to see the change in just one SP. If Sotnikova does poorly at worlds, she can lose her position easily. In this sense, Gold is more advantageous because no other US ladies would challenge her in near future.

exactly, but Gracie will also have someone on her back waiting like Polina, Karen etc