Who will be dominating Ladies figure skating? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who will be dominating Ladies figure skating?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I see Julia losing her jumps in the next year or two. Even if she doesn't grow much more in height her body will continue to change and she won't be as petite. Remember how petite and thin Mirai was at 16 but her body kept changing over the next year or two.

JYSkate

Rinkside
Kim,Mao and Carol is retired in this season,

Who will be dominated ladies figure skating in next season?

It was Japan VS Korea before, now i think it will be Russia vs USA.

In my opinion Russian ladies are more artistic than USA ladies. (flexibility!!!!)

But USA ladies are technically better than Russia ladies. (I like jump style of Gracie and Polina) +they have better quality of jump.

Both Korea and Japan don't have next Yuna and Mao, now it is back to American and European..

Also, it will be very interesting to see how two Russia ladies' PCS are changed after the Olympic..

I agree with your comment. Don't know about Gracie (she tends to tilt while she's in the middle of her jumps, but her sochi free skate was perfect), but Polina has an incredible technique especially her triple lutz triple toe combination. It looks almost more effortless than Yuna Kim's. I really hope she improves over the following years. With that, I could see an American phenom.

bebevia

On the Ice
We have US junior wondergirls reaching seniors in a few years. Hopefully they'll maintain health and steadily improve skills.

ahy

Final Flight
i hope karen chen and elena radionova with dominate, they have lots of potential

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I agree with your comment. Don't know about Gracie (she tends to tilt while she's in the middle of her jumps, but her sochi free skate was perfect), but Polina has an incredible technique especially her triple lutz triple toe combination. It looks almost more effortless than Yuna Kim's. I really hope she improves over the following years. With that, I could see an American phenom.

Absolutely agree re: Polina and looking forward to watching her grow as a skater and an artist. Like you, also not so sure re: Gracie although I enjoy her very much.

For my money, Yulia/Polina could be the next great rivalry unless Yulia gets thrown under the bus (even more) by the Russian TPTB.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^I highly doubt Sotnikova will be winning another gold in 2018 in Pyeongchang. I see Gracie Gold giving her a serious run for her money. Plus, I've already seen Gold give her an epic b*tchface backstage in Sochi so that's already some good rivalry brewing there.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
What? The US Skating Federation isn't a strong one? Besides Russia, which Federation is? Japan?

MiRé

Match Penalty
I will dominate this following quad. I mean if Adelina can get Gold, everyone else can too :biggrin:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Gracie and Adelina. Maybe Julia, but she has lots of things to work on. (ok, we got used to those incredible spins)
Even though Polina's performances were good, I was not impressed. Gracie and Adelina have beautiful jumps and seem very confident. With Polina, I was just hoping at every jump that she won't fall. But again, I'm not an expert.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Battle of the robots?

Pretty much. This next 4 years will be all about the technical elements. Actual choreography and musical interpretation will become meaningless because anyone who nails all of the elements will score at least high 8's in all of the components anyway. One of the Russian girls will likely start doing 3Lutz+3Toe, 3Axel, and 3Flip (or 3Loop) in the SP, which will push others to start seriously training 3Axel as well.

After 2018 there will then be a push to start rewarding artistry again and components will start getting looked at more closely. The PCS factor for the Women's event will be increased from .8 and 1.6 in the SP and LP, respectively, to .9 and 1.8. This will be necessary to balance the value of the component scores against the now-standard heightened technical content in the Women's event.

qwertyskates

Medalist
^I highly doubt Sotnikova will be winning another gold in 2018 in Pyeongchang. I see Gracie Gold giving her a serious run for her money. Plus, I've already seen Gold give her an epic b*tchface backstage in Sochi so that's already some good rivalry brewing there.

This sounds like you're gleefully looking forward to melodrama and fights than actual skating.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I enjoy good figure skating rivalries, esp. when the skaters can back it up with great skating. :popcorn:

vegarin

On the Ice
Rivalries can be exciting and actually instrumental in pushing the sport forward.

Pretty much. This next 4 years will be all about the technical elements. Actual choreography and musical interpretation will become meaningless because anyone who nails all of the elements will score at least high 8's in all of the components anyway. One of the Russian girls will likely start doing 3Lutz+3Toe, 3Axel, and 3Flip (or 3Loop) in the SP, which will push others to start seriously training 3Axel as well.

After 2018 there will then be a push to start rewarding artistry again and components will start getting looked at more closely. The PCS factor for the Women's event will be increased from .8 and 1.6 in the SP and LP, respectively, to .9 and 1.8. This will be necessary to balance the value of the component scores against the now-standard heightened technical content in the Women's event.

...Sadly, I find your prediction to be entirely on the mark.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Russia, they're churning them out so fast, it's scary. Their Junior Girls are already formidable and intimidating in competition. It's not a bad thing if it ups the ante. The only Fed that could challenge them is Japan's, and I think the domination of Hanyu will help to bring a new crop of Japanese Junior Girls like Satoko. Elena, Julia, Sotnikova, Edmunds, Gold, Li, Osmond, Daleman, Ukolova, will all probably rise to the top.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I am SO EFFING EXCITED to see how Hanyu develops. He's the skater that's making me stay in to watch the next quad.

B*tchface is the cherry atop the rivalry, which will play out over the ice and in Gracie's facial expressions off-ice. :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am SO EFFING EXCITED to see how Hanyu develops. He's the skater that's making me stay in to watch the next quad.:
I'd be very interested to see the ratings if Hanyu skated in ladies events.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker

I'll wait til after 2018 then