Thread: Ettiquette & A Dick Button Interview

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar

Question Ettiquette & A Dick Button Interview

I know that it's been very firmly on skating forums suggested that interviews and content written on blogs and other sites be kept in one thread, but I'm curious as to whether it would be OK to include my interview with Dick Button in its own thread in the 'Figure Skating: The Edge' area so it reaches a wider audience when I post it later this week? I don't want to step on any toes.

I know that it's been very firmly on skating forums suggested that interviews and content written on blogs and other sites be kept in one thread
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean here?

would be OK to include my interview with Dick Button in its own thread in the 'Figure Skating: The Edge' area so it reaches a wider audience when I post it later this week?
    If you mean posting the interview in it's entirety, absolutely! We encourage folks to post interviews and articles to promote discussion. The problem we have is when folks post a link to an external site to promote their own personal site.

I think what n_halifax is referring to is the fact that bloggers are told to post their entries in the Announcements section, which isn't that well-read.

Since the topic has been brought up, I do feel that it's a bit much to exile bloggers to the announcement section. I understand the concern about flagrant self-promotion, but a lot of the interview/content offered by the bloggers is actually quite useful/informative. Is there a way we can allow more of these blogs to show up in the Edge and other more-read forums?

What I meant is that it's been suggested in the forum that if I post anything that's on my external site (which is a blog that also has a Facebook page) it should go in the 'Announcements' section, which I'm happy to do.

I wouldn't be posting the interview in its entirety here, I'd be linking the blog and/or Facebook page again in this instance. So I should put it in the 'Announcements' area again in this case where it's promoting an external site?

I do feel that it's a bit much to exile bloggers to the announcement section
    Exile gives a negative connotation where one is not meant. The problem is that if we allow one, we must allow others. While I don't mind the occasional interview/article, we have had many other sites that just came to post their links but did not participate otherwise in the forum This is called spam. Unfortunately, these folks spoiled it for others (i.e. Halifax). Hence, the Announcement folder was born.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I absolutely agree that we can't be promoting one blogger over another.

How about this? The bloggers continue to post in the Announcements area, but when there is a really important event, like for example, a Dick Button interview (something that I can't wait to read/listen to, whatever), it's OK to post a thread in the Edge (or Fan Fest, or Competition section, as appropriate for the subject), where the link given is to the post in Announcements, rather than directly to the blog?

I think that might meet the requirement of not favoring one blogger over another, while still highlighting important reports and interviews to our members (Many, many of them want to read & talk about Dick Button...or for that matter, YuNa Kim ...or Jason Brown).

I do think that if someone posts a thread in the Edge, they should committ to answering questions that arise on such a thread, rather than just posting a thread and leaving.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 01-28-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    Exile gives a negative connotation where one is not meant. The problem is that if we allow one, we must allow others. While I don't mind the occasional interview/article, we have had many other sites that just came to post their links but did not participate otherwise in the forum This is called spam. Unfortunately, these folks spoiled it for others (i.e. Halifax). Hence, the Announcement folder was born.
    Well I understand the logic, but I do feel that legitimate blogs are segregated when they don't have to. That's just my opinion.

Maybe there could be like a "bloggers" subforum where approved blogger could post their work? Or maybe a widget that include those folks Twitter feed? Surely, there's a way you can allow good bloggers to post w/o allowing spam.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    How about this? The bloggers continue to post in the Announcements area, but when there is a really important event, like for example, a Dick Button interview (something that I can't wait to read/listen to, whatever), it's OK to post a thread in the Edge (or Fan Fest, or Competition section, as appropriate for the subject), where the link given is to the post in Announcements, rather than directly to the blog?

I think that might meet the requirement of not favoring one blogger over another, while still highlighting important reports and interviews to our members (Many, many of them want to read & talk about Dick Button...or YuNa Kim ...or Jason Brown). Would it work?
    That's a good idea, but it would require in essence for the blogger to post twice in the forum...

True, but as writers, that is not a huge thing. And if I saw a blog with a Dick Button interview in it in announcements, I would certainly start a thread to highlight it. The blogger should perhaps leave the creation of the 2nd thread to GS members, especially if they have no intention of checking in on the thread in The Edge after it is posted.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 01-28-2014 at 12:20 PM.

I know personally if I'm sharing my Dick Button interview, I'm going to want to talk about it! I love Dick Button! That's just me though... haha.

True, but as writers, that is not a huge thing. And if I saw a blog with a Dick Button interview in it in announcements, I would certainly start a thread to highlight it. The blogger should perhaps leave the creation of the 2nd thread to GS members, especially if they have no intention of checking in on the thread in The Edge after it is posted.
    Good point; I actually post my writing in multiple platforms, so you are totally right.

That's a good idea to let GS members take the lead.

Sounds great! I'll post an introduction and link to the article in the 'Announcements' thread and will let other members decide if they want to share it or not. I will, of course, definitely come back to respond to any comments!

Dick Button interview has been posted!

I can't find it...

Thank you!