I was scared for Michelle's safety | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I was scared for Michelle's safety

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Re: Rinkside Banners...

Doggygirl said:
Assuming you are talking about the official company advertisements, I am sure those companies paid (as sponsors or whatever they call it in FS) for that exposure in the rink and on TV. It's a way of advertising that is common at events with large audiences, and/or even more televised events, and help offset costs and contribute to profits for the event. While this sort of advertising might be irritating at times, ticket prices would be higher if that type of advertising didn't exist.

DG

That's what I was referring to, yes. And I'm not saying it should have been blocked out, I was referring more to the irony of it all. However, as I mentioned in another post -- though I understand why the ads are there, that is BY FAR the most I have ever seen on the rink wall; I've never seen the entire walls COVERED like that. And I'd love to know what an Uncrustable is....:D

amykaren

On the Ice
See the ads worked-you want to know what an uncrustable is now!
;) BTW it is a highly overpriced pb&j sandwich-without the crust.

amykaren

On the Ice
I also want to add that I was worried about her being safe too. It's just luck that he didn't do anything. I mean he or they picked that particular time to come out and do that. Michelle had a stalker before-I remember reading that somewhere. It should not have happened at all. What a worlds for Michelle! And of course she handled it like a true champion. Aww, what a person she is! :love:

sarahmistral

On the Ice
digitizing Arakawa's bee-hind

JonnyCoop,
I'm guessing you said it half-jokingly, but her bum did seem a bit too bare to me..I'm no prude, by any means, but it's funny that someone else noticed.
She was fabulous though...back to the topic. The guy going on the ice was absurd; as I think Jaana said, HOW does someone on skates who's obviously not in the comp get by everyone like that? Has he explained what he was doing there? They let him go, just like every other weirdo at a sporting event in Germany, or so it seems...I'm one of the biggest Monica Seles fans anywhere, and this did hit a nerve with me:mad: I'm just glad Michelle wasn't rattled and that he didn't ruin any of a great night of skating. I LMAO when she said, "I thought it was a flower girl and then I saw..."IT'S a MAN!!!" So cute:)

Sarah

lovespirals

Rinkside
Re: digitizing Arakawa's bee-hind

sarahmistral said:
I LMAO when she said, "I thought it was a flower girl and then I saw..."IT'S a MAN!!!" So cute:)

I laughed when she said this too. Hilarious! Every once in awhile now I'll remeber "IT"S A MAN!!" and snort..:p

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I think it was great that Michelle used the fan support to help raise her level of skating to the roof........glad she was safe, if anything had happen, to heck with the security guards, I am sure figure skating fans would have swarmed all over him..............42

LarasB

Rinkside
The thing I wonder about, is why he chose to do this right before Michelle skated, and how would we feel if it had affected her free program and she would not have skated as well as she did. I was very concerned for Michelle's safety when this man came on the ice.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Re: Thank God, She was in no danger

Panther2000 said:
HOWEVER, that is not the point. He could have been anyone with an agenda. With what is going on in the world today, you can't just blah blah it.

Didn´t I make it clear in next sentences of my posting that something like that should not happen and that he should have been stopped by security before he got onto the ice?

I still say though that it did not look one bit that Kwan was in any danger. The guy did not have any weapons in his hands and his skating did not have the speed to catch any skater of even the lowest level. And as I mentioned in my earlier posting, he did not give Kwan any attention, he was there to get attention for himself.

Marjaana

Last edited:

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Re: Re: Thank God, She was in no danger

Jaana said:
Didn´t I make it clear in next sentences of my posting that something like that should not happen and that he should have been stopped by security before he got onto the ice?

I still say though that it did not look one bit that Kwan was in any danger. The guy did not have any weapons in his hands and his skating did not have the speed to catch any skater of even the lowest level. And as I mentioned in my earlier posting, he did not give Kwan any attention, he was there to get attention for himself.

Marjaana

That still isn't the point, a gun or knive could have been stashed in hit tights, down his skate.... so what if he didn't look like a harmful person, a harmful person has no specific look...he could have easily done harm, but HEY he didn't so cool.

I was never prouder of my girl than when she laid down that fantastic performance after all the bizarre setbacks and then this frightening intrusion. :love:

Mathman

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Kwanisqueen81:

A little over reaction don't you think? It was just too bad he chose to do his antics when it was Kwan's turn to skate. Apparently this sort of thing has happened at other sports events. It's a company that pays people to advertise their web site. Of course, this is a first for figure skating. I don't think he was out to hurt any of the skaters. Kwan was pretty composed through the whole thing. She still managed to garner a bronze medal!

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
Re: Re: Re: Thank God, She was in no danger

TRAxel said:
That still isn't the point, a gun or knive could have been stashed in hit tights, down his skate.... so what if he didn't look like a harmful person, a harmful person has no specific look...he could have easily done harm, but HEY he didn't so cool.

Exactly. The bottom line was that if he did want to go after Michelle, the security guards had absolutely no way to stop him or keep her safe. THAT is the upsetting part, and the fact skaters have been attacked in the past and they should know better.