A cute story of new fans to lower the tension levels. | Golden Skate

A cute story of new fans to lower the tension levels.

louisa05

Final Flight
I am a substitute teacher (among other things). Today I subbed in K-3 P.E. Since it was P.E, I was dressed down and without thinking about the proximity of the Olympics put on the fleece vest I bought at Nationals last year, with the USFSA Championships logo.

Enter 3rd graders mid-morning. With shining eyes, a little girl asks me "are you a figure skater?" After laughing at the notion, I said I am not and that I bought the vest when I went to watch skating in Omaha last year. Next question from another little girl: "were they real Olympic skaters?" I told her that they were and I saw all the American skaters that were at the Olympics and even shook hands with some of them after they won medals.

Two other girls nearly lost it and one of them gasped out "Did you see GRACIE?" I said yes and that I shook her hand, too.

I finally got them all started running their laps. But kids kept stopping to ask me about skaters including Jason and Meryl and Charlie. But the cutest was when the original four little girls ran up to me and asked to touch my hands because I shook hands with Gracie. One of them informed me that she should have won because her outfit last night made her "look like a fairy princess".

(And then it also occurred to me that perhaps our dear sky_fly is actually 8 years old).

Thanks so much for posting this.

One of them informed me that she should have won because her outfit last night made her "look like a fairy princess".

Specifically, Cinderella. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
;aldjgs;j;sntsjrn;srn s'jtna'na

CUTE LITTLE KIDS.

*ded*

How adorable!

Gahh, this is absolutely ADORABLE!!!!! :eek::

Leave it to kiddos to put stupid things in perspective - it's cool just to get to see them skate or meet them! :) I love it!!!

GF2445

Record Breaker
I am so happy to see that. This Olympics has definitely been an inspiring one for America. The potential for success in all disciplines is fantastic! I hope that it will mean more people lacing up their skates and pursue this sport

The mens's field is so deep. Jason captured the hearts of people and Jeremy showed how much of a fighter he could be.
Three top ten finishes promises great potential in the ladies. Gracie is truly gold, Ashley's face will be remembered and Polina has fantastic qualities
Despite being the weakest discipline for America, if you actually saw the scores for castelli/shnapir, they did quite well.
And Dance...this was a moment for America, i hope this will inspire children to pursue skating or ice dance or to skate like Meryl and Charlie.

Fingers crossed that children will become inspired.

mintx

On the Ice
Thank you for posting such a positive thread. Little kids are so cute! I think Polina's dress could make her a Greek Goddess and I could definitely see Jason as an Irish Prince. Meryl and Charlie also look like they belong in a Disney movie.

Jason has also won me over with his unbridled enthusiasm. I will be following his career and twitter closely.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am so happy to see that. This Olympics has definitely been an inspiring one for America. The potential for success in all disciplines is fantastic! I hope that it will mean more people lacing up their skates and pursue this sport

The mens's field is so deep. Jason captured the hearts of people and Jeremy showed how much of a fighter he could be.
Three top ten finishes promises great potential in the ladies. Gracie is truly gold, Ashley's face will be remembered and Polina has fantastic qualities
Despite being the weakest discipline for America, if you actually saw the scores for Castelli/Shnapir, they did quite well.
And Dance...this was a moment for America, i hope this will inspire children to pursue skating or ice dance or to skate like Meryl and Charlie.

Fingers crossed that children will become inspired.

Thanks for sharing this - priceless! :love:

Louisa, thanks SO MUCH for this story. This is what really matters in skating, this and the skaters' beauty and strength on the ice. I don't think I could ever give up on it. And substitute what? That competitive dance that they show on Dance Moms on TV? Gymnastics? Football? Auto racing? Pigs will fly before that.

louisa05

Final Flight
Louisa, thanks SO MUCH for this story. This is what really matters in skating, this and the skaters' beauty and strength on the ice. I don't think I could ever give up on it. And substitute what? That competitive dance that they show on Dance Moms on TV? Gymnastics? Football? Auto racing? Pigs will fly before that.

It reminded me that for all our handwringing about medals, probably most of us fell in love with the sport because of performances and athletes, not medals.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It reminded me that for all our handwringing about medals, probably most of us fell in love with the sport because of performances and athletes, not medals.

Yes! Absolutely. :)

Thank you for sharing this. Too cute!

emma

Record Breaker
Couldn't agree more, louisa05.

A friend asked me how "why I watch such a discredited sport with such awful judging and/or rules" (this after the ladies LP, and from a 4 year/olympic only, but committed every four years, fan of figuring skating). So I said, that I would quit watching if it weren't for the amazing skating that shines through despite the rest.

Anyway, thanks too for sharing the enthusiasm of the kids - so wonderful and adorable!

SGrand

Final Flight
I am a substitute teacher (among other things). Today I subbed in K-3 P.E. Since it was P.E, I was dressed down and without thinking about the proximity of the Olympics put on the fleece vest I bought at Nationals last year, with the USFSA Championships logo.

Enter 3rd graders mid-morning. With shining eyes, a little girl asks me "are you a figure skater?" After laughing at the notion, I said I am not and that I bought the vest when I went to watch skating in Omaha last year. Next question from another little girl: "were they real Olympic skaters?" I told her that they were and I saw all the American skaters that were at the Olympics and even shook hands with some of them after they won medals.

Two other girls nearly lost it and one of them gasped out "Did you see GRACIE?" I said yes and that I shook her hand, too.

I finally got them all started running their laps. But kids kept stopping to ask me about skaters including Jason and Meryl and Charlie. But the cutest was when the original four little girls ran up to me and asked to touch my hands because I shook hands with Gracie. One of them informed me that she should have won because her outfit last night made her "look like a fairy princess".

(And then it also occurred to me that perhaps our dear sky_fly is actually 8 years old).

Such a cute story! And I literally laughed out loud at your comment that I put bold. Great ending! LOL

Venee

Rinkside
I'm from Omaha born and raised!! I'm raising my family here! My 17 year old just bolted and left to study at Columbia University in NYC. She has to keep explaining that there's more than Farmland here! :laugh:

louisa05

Final Flight
I'm from Omaha born and raised!! I'm raising my family here! My 17 year old just bolted and left to study at Columbia University in NYC. She has to keep explaining that there's more than Farmland here! :laugh:

I live north of Omaha. I have cousins from rural Ohio coming to visit for the first time ever next month. One was looking at hotels and was shocked to learn how large the cities of Lincoln and Omaha are. It's Nebraska, so he thought they were little tiny towns.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

*coughcough* I am a motorsport addict as well as a skating addict and I watch football religiously.

*coughcough* I am a motorsport addict as well as a skating addict and I watch football religiously.

Sorry! And I know you're not the only one who loves those other sports.

But I simply can't. And pro wrestling is out for me as well. :)