Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Results that got you the maddest

Custom Title

Results that got you the maddest

I don't agree with the results last night, but I can't say that this is the judging that got me the maddest. That dubious honor still goes to a few GP competitions back in the early 2010's when Patrick Chan would make a major mistake--skating into the wall, going off his music, regular falling--and then win by a huge margin over someone clean. Sometimes, the announcer (usually Michael Weiss or Scott) would make some sort of excuse for him--he fell on his footwork because he was so committed to it, or something like that. It all hit its nadir when he barely lost to IIRC Tomas Verner after falling three times and Verner was clean. That was the only time I really felt like giving up watching the sport. (Of course, then Universal Sports was dropped, and I practically did! But anyway. . .)

What competition(s) got you the maddest? Was Adelina's victory the worst for some of you in terms of what you think was unfair? Or were there others that were just as bad?

And I apologize if I don't remember the details of the competitions that I mentioned above that well--it all stopped bothering me as much after a while, I guess!

This not a tough one for me 2002 Sale & Pelletier.

Fusar-Poli and Margaglio winning bronze in SLC! B&K and D&V should have been ahead of them, and maybe other teams too! B&A at the 2010 Olympics.. Chan at the 2013 Worlds.. that's all I can think of at the moment. Oh, B&S winning at 2000 GPF. I think it was 2000, anyway.

Custom Title
    Chan winning Worlds 2013 (also kinda 2012)
    Abt losing Euros 2002

Rinkside
    Grishuk & Platov winning Olympics in 1998
    Bourne & Kraatz coming in 4th in 1998 and 2002
    Sale & Pelletier Olympics 2002
    Yuna Kim losing last night to Sotnikova
    mishketuniok & dmetriev losing to G & G in 1994

Custom Title
    I'm not sure if mad is the the correct adjective, mine isn't so much what I think of as preference as I watch without fandom these days, so much less stressful, but of the worst examples of extreme judging corruption in my opinion (and someone older may remember something more egregious, I watched skating for the first time in 76 but I was a kid, I didn't know what I was watching well then):
    Baiul
    Sotnikova

Quote Originally Posted by Skatetomusic View Post
    This not a tough one for me 2002 Sale & Pelletier.
    For me, too. I was a fan of both teams, but I felt S/P did a bit better (they were more open, less tight). I was in high school and emotions ran high that night... I vented for days

That's the only one I remember being SUPER upset about, though.

ETA: Oh, wait, the other one was when Evan Lysacek beat Johnny Weir at Nationals 2008 - and I was and am a HUGE Evan fangirl... I was there in the Arena that night and just felt Johnny's skate was better (then again I may have been biased about the program considering who the choreographer was...)

2010 Plushenko's silver medal.
    Chan winning 2013 WC.

Yagudin over Abt in 2002 euros

Lysacek over Weir 2009(?) US nats (maybe the closest in style to the current ladies situation).

B/S over S/P in 2002 (though I thought the second gold was beyond stupid and completely uncalled for)

For more I'd have to go back.

Custom Title
    G/P winning the Nagano Olympics. They had a slip in the OD and were very sloppy in the freedance. Also, P/S not finishing in the top 4 when they actually had the best performance of the night.

Abbott not medalling at the 2010 worlds. Robbed imo.

D/V not winning Olympic bronze in SLC Olympics.

The German pair Peggy Schwartz and Mirko Muller losing bronze at Skate America to Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze (2000 or 2001 I think) .

Krylova/Ovsyannikov not winning gold at 97 worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aquacandy83 View Post
    Please tell me you're joking

Custom Title
    After getting over Michelle's not winning in 1998, I became more philosophical. It saves wear and tear on the blood vessels. That one took me years to understand, but when I realized that it didn't make her a less good skater, I could let go. Part of it is that I'm not confident in my understanding of technique, so if I prefer a skater or a pair, I don't know whether I'm looking at the wrong things. Each side's argument always sounds so convincing!

Rinkside
    nope. personal preference. I loved both teams, still do, but favoured m/d that night.

Medalist
    Patrick Chan won a world title in 2013. With a two falls!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aquacandy83 View Post
    I actually think M&D should have won that one too..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast