Results that got you the maddest | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Results that got you the maddest

Spinerette

On the Ice
When Oksana Baiul received the gold. Nancy had a triple triple and a clean program. Oksana two footed her jump and did a double double at the end. LOL. It was that Jan Hoffmann that gave that tie break to Baiul. Jan was judging the men's even this year at the Olympics, yuck.

Spinerette

On the Ice
Chan winning Worlds 2013 (also kinda 2012)
Abt losing Euros 2002

Chan winning last year doesn't bother me. There was no conspiracy. It was not intentional. They need to stop with the 1 point deduction with the falls. It should be 3 points with each fall. IJS has so many loopholes. It's worse than the 6.0 system.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm a huge fan of both couples I cried like a baby when Sergi died. They were the ultimate pair for me, but I too think M&D should have edged G&G that year. So many skaters have tried to use that piece (Rachmaninoff piano in c) and had no clue what to do with it. They just slayed that piece. It was magic! They are the definitive couple when it comes to that music. Maos interpretation of it was pretty good, but only after the experience from her sp tragedy brought out the real emotion needed for it.

G&G are my all-time favorite pair. I was delighted to see them win another OGM but in my heart of hearts am inclined to agree re: M&D.

As a musician, G&G's use of the Beethoven "Moonlight" & "Pathetique" sonatas was a real thrill for me. Rach you hear all the time; Beethoven not so much (for obvious reasons).

My bottom line: both programs were gorgeous and I wish there had been 2 golds that year.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
No one competition in particular but I'm sad that Pechalat and Bourzat won't walk away with more medals. They were a very talented team that took a lot of risks with their programs.

Add me to the list of heartbroken Kwan fans! I will say this, though (have said the same thing on other threads): I came to accept that on that particular night, Tara had the better skate. Michelle looked a little too cautious, whereas Tara skated all-out and had a lot more energy. IMO that's what put her over the top along with her higher technical value. Didn't stop me from feeling disappointed for her, though. And 4 years later in Salt Lake...lordy, that's when I really lost it. I didn't disagree w/ the results but again was heartbroken for Michelle. When she skated to "Fields of Gold" in the exhibition wearing that gold dress, I bawled like a baby.

In 1998, Michelle gave her Olympic performance a little too early: at the US nationals. Now that was a skate for the ages! Those moments come all too rarely (if at all) and some of us never get to experience them, much less choose when. I wish the moment had come for Michelle in Nagano but will always be glad for her that it happened, regardless of the timing.

According an ESPN documentary, Michelle suffered from a stress fracture on her left foot in the middle of the 1997-1998 season. Kwan's team decided to modify the program so there was less stress on her foot after her toeloop jump by making skate more on one foot. They had originally planned on competing with Lipinski's tech but then had to work around Kwan's injury.

Venee

Rinkside
In 1998, Michelle gave her Olympic performance a little too early: at the US nationals. Now that was a skate for the ages! Those moments come all too rarely (if at all) and some of us never get to experience them, much less choose when. I wish the moment had come for Michelle in Nagano but will always be glad for her that it happened, regardless of the timing.[/QUO

Correct me but I remember the timing of Winter Olympics got off when they had one after 2 years instead of 4. If they hadn't done that I think her Salome program would have actually been her Olympic program. I wonder what would have happened then.

Venee

Rinkside
G&G are my all-time favorite pair. I was delighted to see them win another OGM but in my heart of hearts am inclined to agree re: M&D.

As a musician, G&G's use of the Beethoven "Moonlight" & "Pathetique" sonatas was a real thrill for me. Rach you hear all the time; Beethoven not so much (for obvious reasons).

My daughter is a serious violinist so I know where you're coming from. I too tend to see programs through a music lens which is why some of the recent result bother me more than they would others. Something else in G&Gs favor was how silky (not a skating term I know lol) they were on the ice. M&D did seem to skate "heavier". That was a weird Olympics all around when they let the pros back in.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Johnny and Evan tied, but Evan won on a technicality, because he won the long program.

I felt they should've had them be co-champions, and I wonder if their annoyance with Johnny over his "partying" or whatever prevented them from bending their own rule to be nice.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha Abt not winning Euros in 2002
Pechalat & Bourzat not winning bronze in Sochi
Todd Eldredge winning bronze @ 2001 Worlds (it should have been no less than silver)
Meryl & Charlie not making the World podium @ 2009 worlds (with their brilliant Samson & Delilah program)
Tanith & Ben not medaling (bronze) in 2010 Vancouver

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
My daughter is a serious violinist so I know where you're coming from. I too tend to see programs through a music lens which is why some of the recent result bother me more than they would others. Something else in G&Gs favor was how silky (not a skating term I know lol) they were on the ice. M&D did seem to skate "heavier". That was a weird Olympics all around when they let the pros back in.

"Silky" may not be a skating term but it's a perfect description for G&G! Virtue & Moir have the same quality. You're right re: the weirdness of 1994, though -- on top of everything else, there was Tonya and Nancy. Sheesh, what a gawdawful mess that was.

Re: your other comment about Michelle's Salome, I honestly don't remember that one so much so will have to check it out on YouTube.

All the best to you and your daughter!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Johnny and Evan tied, but Evan won on a technicality, because he won the long program.

I felt they should've had them be co-champions, and I wonder if their annoyance with Johnny over his "partying" or whatever prevented them from bending their own rule to be nice.

that was the problem, though, Evan shouldn't have won the FS. :laugh: it was insane in those first moments after the scores went up like "um... okay... what now?"

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I wouldn't say Sotnikova's OGM made me angriest, since I'm not as emotionally invested in competition results as I once was (I was 15 years old and an uber-fan of Kwan in '98...nuff said). But it did make me the most disgusted and disillusioned.

I've been unhappy with results before like any other fan. But for the most part even when I didn't like or agree with the results, I could imagine where the judges were coming from (Tara's win in '98), or at least feel confident that even though the system was flawed, it's flaws were more or less consistent and applied equally for everyone (for example, the way PCS marks seem to be "married" to each other, so that high skating skills and transitions automatically means similar scores for P&E and interpretation, even if the program is rather dull). But I don't see either of these things this time. Honestly, I'm quite put off of skating right now.

peg

Medalist
I've been unhappy with results before like any other fan. But for the most part even when I didn't like or agree with the results, I could imagine where the judges were coming from (Tara's win in '98), or at least feel confident that even though the system was flawed, it's flaws were more or less consistent and applied equally for everyone (for example, the way PCS marks seem to be "married" to each other, so that high skating skills and transitions automatically means similar scores for P&E and interpretation, even if the program is rather dull). But I don't see either of these things this time.
This pretty much sums up how I feel. There have been times when I haven't agreed with the results, but I didn't see the egregious padding of scores for one country's skaters.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I wouldn't say Sotnikova's OGM made me angriest, since I'm not as emotionally invested in competition results as I once was (I was 15 years old and an uber-fan of Kwan in '98...nuff said). But it did make me the most disgusted and disillusioned.

I've been unhappy with results before like any other fan. But for the most part even when I didn't like or agree with the results, I could imagine where the judges were coming from (Tara's win in '98), or at least feel confident that even though the system was flawed, it's flaws were more or less consistent and applied equally for everyone (for example, the way PCS marks seem to be "married" to each other, so that high skating skills and transitions automatically means similar scores for P&E and interpretation, even if the program is rather dull). But I don't see either of these things this time. Honestly, I'm quite put off of skating right now.

This. I had alot of suspicions during the SP, but it was SO utterly blatant in the LP (135 for Julia, and 149 for Adelina) that I felt, and still feel, sick to my stomach. The white-washing and throwing out red-herring arguments by certain members of the media isn't the cherry atop this milkshake. I'm shocked, disgusted, and appalled that the Russians are getting away with this. If you look at multiple forums who were live-recapping the events, you can see the unanimous stunned outrage of posters.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I would have said the ladies results here, but I wouldnt be being honest as after the short program and judging panel draw when it was clear Sotnikova's win had already been bought for millions of dollars, I had bet a large amount of money on her winning. So I grudingly had to hope my certainty of the bought gold medal would pan out correct for that reason. Had I not bet alot of money on Sotnikova's obviously fixed win just before the long program starting I would have said that, but alas not for that reason. It feels odd to cheer for evil and wrong, so I dont think I will do that in the future, despite the large sum of money I won from it.

So with that said I would say Slutskaya's win at the 2001 Grand Prix final with 3 triples to 6 for Kwan, the bloc judging in the dance event that robbed Bourne & Kraatz of a medal in 98, and Fusar Poli & Margalio's farcial World title in 2001.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Oh I forgot Chan's wins at Skate Canada 2010, near win at 2010 Trophee Lalique I think it was with the equivalent of 7 falls worth of mistakes vs a clean Verner, his win at the 2011 Grand Prix final, 2012 Worlds, and 2013 Worlds. That must be a record of competitions for one skater which were so blatantly wrong they made my blood boil. I actually used to like Chan before the judging farces began, the same way I somewhat liked Sotnikova before the corruption of the last few days.