Results that got you the maddest | Golden Skate

Results that got you the maddest

Poodlepal

On the Ice
:mad:

I don't agree with the results last night, but I can't say that this is the judging that got me the maddest. That dubious honor still goes to a few GP competitions back in the early 2010's when Patrick Chan would make a major mistake--skating into the wall, going off his music, regular falling--and then win by a huge margin over someone clean. Sometimes, the announcer (usually Michael Weiss or Scott) would make some sort of excuse for him--he fell on his footwork because he was so committed to it, or something like that.:sarcasm: It all hit its nadir when he barely lost to IIRC Tomas Verner after falling three times and Verner was clean. That was the only time I really felt like giving up watching the sport. (Of course, then Universal Sports was dropped, and I practically did! But anyway. . .)

What competition(s) got you the maddest? Was Adelina's victory the worst for some of you in terms of what you think was unfair? Or were there others that were just as bad?

And I apologize if I don't remember the details of the competitions that I mentioned above that well--it all stopped bothering me as much after a while, I guess!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Fusar-Poli and Margaglio winning bronze in SLC! B&K and D&V should have been ahead of them, and maybe other teams too! B&A at the 2010 Olympics.. Chan at the 2013 Worlds.. that's all I can think of at the moment. Oh, B&S winning at 2000 GPF. I think it was 2000, anyway.

aquacandy83

Rinkside
Grishuk & Platov winning Olympics in 1998
Bourne & Kraatz coming in 4th in 1998 and 2002
Sale & Pelletier Olympics 2002
Yuna Kim losing last night to Sotnikova
mishketuniok & dmetriev losing to G & G in 1994

DaveT

On the Ice
I'm not sure if mad is the the correct adjective, mine isn't so much what I think of as preference as I watch without fandom these days, so much less stressful, but of the worst examples of extreme judging corruption in my opinion (and someone older may remember something more egregious, I watched skating for the first time in 76 but I was a kid, I didn't know what I was watching well then):
Baiul
Sotnikova

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
This not a tough one for me 2002 Sale & Pelletier.

For me, too. I was a fan of both teams, but I felt S/P did a bit better (they were more open, less tight). I was in high school and emotions ran high that night... I vented for days :laugh:

That's the only one I remember being SUPER upset about, though.

ETA: Oh, wait, the other one was when Evan Lysacek beat Johnny Weir at Nationals 2008 - and I was and am a HUGE Evan fangirl... I was there in the Arena that night and just felt Johnny's skate was better (then again I may have been biased about the program considering who the choreographer was...)

Mafke

Medalist
Yagudin over Abt in 2002 euros

Lysacek over Weir 2009(?) US nats (maybe the closest in style to the current ladies situation).

B/S over S/P in 2002 (though I thought the second gold was beyond stupid and completely uncalled for)

For more I'd have to go back.

Dots

Final Flight
G/P winning the Nagano Olympics. They had a slip in the OD and were very sloppy in the freedance. Also, P/S not finishing in the top 4 when they actually had the best performance of the night.

Abbott not medalling at the 2010 worlds. Robbed imo.

D/V not winning Olympic bronze in SLC Olympics.

The German pair Peggy Schwartz and Mirko Muller losing bronze at Skate America to Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze (2000 or 2001 I think) .

Krylova/Ovsyannikov not winning gold at 97 worlds.

After getting over Michelle's not winning in 1998, I became more philosophical. It saves wear and tear on the blood vessels. That one took me years to understand, but when I realized that it didn't make her a less good skater, I could let go. Part of it is that I'm not confident in my understanding of technique, so if I prefer a skater or a pair, I don't know whether I'm looking at the wrong things. Each side's argument always sounds so convincing!

vinganca

Rinkside
the ice dance bronze medal in this Olympics. Pechalat and Bourzat earned it, but apparently playing to the audience with a swan lake cliche and lots of "dramatic" arm waving is enough to win over a team that actually put some effort into coming up with an original concept and choreography and executing it beautifully. and apparently you can score 168.01 at the Russian nationals in December, and magically become SO much better in a month and a half that your score for the same programs jumps 15 points for the Olympics. Not to mention the 7-point jump in their FD from the team competition to the individual in Sochi (a 7 point difference for the same program in one week) ! Couldn't possibly be any bias or unreasonable score inflation there, right?

selfishly as a fan, i really wish P/B would go to worlds this year (and perform their delightful petit prince program one more time), although i think they said the olympics was their last competition. :/ imho they could have a good chance at silver, esp. since V/M aren't going to worlds.

Venee

Rinkside
After getting over Michelle's not winning in 1998, I became more philosophical. It saves wear and tear on the blood vessels. That one took me years to understand, but when I realized that it didn't make her a less good skater, I could let go. Part of it is that I'm not confident in my understanding of technique, so if I prefer a skater or a pair, I don't know whether I'm looking at the wrong things. Each side's argument always sounds so convincing!
Oh I'm right with you! I hadn't watched her Olympic performance since that day. I pulled it up yesterday after all of the drama with Yuna and Adelina as it brought back such memories. Her performance, her tears when she finished, her Dad running down those stairs made me cry all over. I still feel she should have won that day. As you said she was the eventual winner! She went down as a legend and makes twice as much as the gold medallist.

Venee

Rinkside
Please tell me you're joking
I'm a huge fan of both couples I cried like a baby when Sergi died. They were the ultimate pair for me, but I too think M&D should have edged G&G that year. So many skaters have tried to use that piece (Rachmaninoff piano in c) and had no clue what to do with it. They just slayed that piece. It was magic! They are the definitive couple when it comes to that music. Maos interpretation of it was pretty good, but only after the experience from her sp tragedy brought out the real emotion needed for it.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh I'm right with you! I hadn't watched her Olympic performance since that day. I pulled it up yesterday after all of the drama with Yuna and Adelina as it brought back such memories. Her performance, her tears when she finished, her Dad running down those stairs made me cry all over. I still feel she should have won that day. As you said she was the eventual winner! She went down as a legend and makes twice as much as the gold medallist.

Add me to the list of heartbroken Kwan fans! I will say this, though (have said the same thing on other threads): I came to accept that on that particular night, Tara had the better skate. Michelle looked a little too cautious, whereas Tara skated all-out and had a lot more energy. IMO that's what put her over the top along with her higher technical value. Didn't stop me from feeling disappointed for her, though. And 4 years later in Salt Lake...lordy, that's when I really lost it. I didn't disagree w/ the results but again was heartbroken for Michelle. When she skated to "Fields of Gold" in the exhibition wearing that gold dress, I bawled like a baby.

In 1998, Michelle gave her Olympic performance a little too early: at the US nationals. Now that was a skate for the ages! Those moments come all too rarely (if at all) and some of us never get to experience them, much less choose when. I wish the moment had come for Michelle in Nagano but will always be glad for her that it happened, regardless of the timing.