Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Results that got you the maddest

Tripping on the Podium
    the ice dance bronze medal in this Olympics. Pechalat and Bourzat earned it, but apparently playing to the audience with a swan lake cliche and lots of "dramatic" arm waving is enough to win over a team that actually put some effort into coming up with an original concept and choreography and executing it beautifully. and apparently you can score 168.01 at the Russian nationals in December, and magically become SO much better in a month and a half that your score for the same programs jumps 15 points for the Olympics. Not to mention the 7-point jump in their FD from the team competition to the individual in Sochi (a 7 point difference for the same program in one week) ! Couldn't possibly be any bias or unreasonable score inflation there, right?

selfishly as a fan, i really wish P/B would go to worlds this year (and perform their delightful petit prince program one more time), although i think they said the olympics was their last competition. :/ imho they could have a good chance at silver, esp. since V/M aren't going to worlds.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    After getting over Michelle's not winning in 1998, I became more philosophical. It saves wear and tear on the blood vessels. That one took me years to understand, but when I realized that it didn't make her a less good skater, I could let go. Part of it is that I'm not confident in my understanding of technique, so if I prefer a skater or a pair, I don't know whether I'm looking at the wrong things. Each side's argument always sounds so convincing!
    Oh I'm right with you! I hadn't watched her Olympic performance since that day. I pulled it up yesterday after all of the drama with Yuna and Adelina as it brought back such memories. Her performance, her tears when she finished, her Dad running down those stairs made me cry all over. I still feel she should have won that day. As you said she was the eventual winner! She went down as a legend and makes twice as much as the gold medallist.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by 96skiluvr View Post
    Please tell me you're joking
    I'm a huge fan of both couples I cried like a baby when Sergi died. They were the ultimate pair for me, but I too think M&D should have edged G&G that year. So many skaters have tried to use that piece (Rachmaninoff piano in c) and had no clue what to do with it. They just slayed that piece. It was magic! They are the definitive couple when it comes to that music. Maos interpretation of it was pretty good, but only after the experience from her sp tragedy brought out the real emotion needed for it.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Venee View Post
    Oh I'm right with you! I hadn't watched her Olympic performance since that day. I pulled it up yesterday after all of the drama with Yuna and Adelina as it brought back such memories. Her performance, her tears when she finished, her Dad running down those stairs made me cry all over. I still feel she should have won that day. As you said she was the eventual winner! She went down as a legend and makes twice as much as the gold medallist.
    Add me to the list of heartbroken Kwan fans! I will say this, though (have said the same thing on other threads): I came to accept that on that particular night, Tara had the better skate. Michelle looked a little too cautious, whereas Tara skated all-out and had a lot more energy. IMO that's what put her over the top along with her higher technical value. Didn't stop me from feeling disappointed for her, though. And 4 years later in Salt Lake...lordy, that's when I really lost it. I didn't disagree w/ the results but again was heartbroken for Michelle. When she skated to "Fields of Gold" in the exhibition wearing that gold dress, I bawled like a baby.

In 1998, Michelle gave her Olympic performance a little too early: at the US nationals. Now that was a skate for the ages! Those moments come all too rarely (if at all) and some of us never get to experience them, much less choose when. I wish the moment had come for Michelle in Nagano but will always be glad for her that it happened, regardless of the timing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I actually think M&D should have won that one too..
    Me too.

Custom Title
    When Oksana Baiul received the gold. Nancy had a triple triple and a clean program. Oksana two footed her jump and did a double double at the end. LOL. It was that Jan Hoffmann that gave that tie break to Baiul. Jan was judging the men's even this year at the Olympics, yuck.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    Chan winning Worlds 2013 (also kinda 2012)
    Abt losing Euros 2002
    Chan winning last year doesn't bother me. There was no conspiracy. It was not intentional. They need to stop with the 1 point deduction with the falls. It should be 3 points with each fall. IJS has so many loopholes. It's worse than the 6.0 system.

I'm a huge fan of both couples I cried like a baby when Sergi died. They were the ultimate pair for me, but I too think M&D should have edged G&G that year. So many skaters have tried to use that piece (Rachmaninoff piano in c) and had no clue what to do with it. They just slayed that piece. It was magic! They are the definitive couple when it comes to that music. Maos interpretation of it was pretty good, but only after the experience from her sp tragedy brought out the real emotion needed for it.
    G&G are my all-time favorite pair. I was delighted to see them win another OGM but in my heart of hearts am inclined to agree re: M&D.

As a musician, G&G's use of the Beethoven "Moonlight" & "Pathetique" sonatas was a real thrill for me. Rach you hear all the time; Beethoven not so much (for obvious reasons).

My bottom line: both programs were gorgeous and I wish there had been 2 golds that year.

Custom Title
    No one competition in particular but I'm sad that Pechalat and Bourzat won't walk away with more medals. They were a very talented team that took a lot of risks with their programs.

Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Add me to the list of heartbroken Kwan fans! I will say this, though (have said the same thing on other threads): I came to accept that on that particular night, Tara had the better skate. Michelle looked a little too cautious, whereas Tara skated all-out and had a lot more energy. IMO that's what put her over the top along with her higher technical value. Didn't stop me from feeling disappointed for her, though. And 4 years later in Salt Lake...lordy, that's when I really lost it. I didn't disagree w/ the results but again was heartbroken for Michelle. When she skated to "Fields of Gold" in the exhibition wearing that gold dress, I bawled like a baby.

In 1998, Michelle gave her Olympic performance a little too early: at the US nationals. Now that was a skate for the ages! Those moments come all too rarely (if at all) and some of us never get to experience them, much less choose when. I wish the moment had come for Michelle in Nagano but will always be glad for her that it happened, regardless of the timing.
    According an ESPN documentary, Michelle suffered from a stress fracture on her left foot in the middle of the 1997-1998 season. Kwan's team decided to modify the program so there was less stress on her foot after her toeloop jump by making skate more on one foot. They had originally planned on competing with Lipinski's tech but then had to work around Kwan's injury.

Rinkside
    [QUOTE]In 1998, Michelle gave her Olympic performance a little too early: at the US nationals. Now that was a skate for the ages! Those moments come all too rarely (if at all) and some of us never get to experience them, much less choose when. I wish the moment had come for Michelle in Nagano but will always be glad for her that it happened, regardless of the timing.[/QUO

Correct me but I remember the timing of Winter Olympics got off when they had one after 2 years instead of 4. If they hadn't done that I think her Salome program would have actually been her Olympic program. I wonder what would have happened then.

Rinkside
    G&G are my all-time favorite pair. I was delighted to see them win another OGM but in my heart of hearts am inclined to agree re: M&D.

As a musician, G&G's use of the Beethoven "Moonlight" & "Pathetique" sonatas was a real thrill for me. Rach you hear all the time; Beethoven not so much (for obvious reasons).
    My daughter is a serious violinist so I know where you're coming from. I too tend to see programs through a music lens which is why some of the recent result bother me more than they would others. Something else in G&Gs favor was how silky (not a skating term I know lol) they were on the ice. M&D did seem to skate "heavier". That was a weird Olympics all around when they let the pros back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post

Lysacek over Weir 2009(?) US nats (maybe the closest in style to the current ladies situation).
    you mean 08.. 09 was not a good year for Johnny IIRC.

Custom Title
    Johnny and Evan tied, but Evan won on a technicality, because he won the long program.

I felt they should've had them be co-champions, and I wonder if their annoyance with Johnny over his "partying" or whatever prevented them from bending their own rule to be nice.

Sasha Abt not winning Euros in 2002
    Pechalat & Bourzat not winning bronze in Sochi
    Todd Eldredge winning bronze @ 2001 Worlds (it should have been no less than silver)
    Meryl & Charlie not making the World podium @ 2009 worlds (with their brilliant Samson & Delilah program)
    Tanith & Ben not medaling (bronze) in 2010 Vancouver

My daughter is a serious violinist so I know where you're coming from. I too tend to see programs through a music lens which is why some of the recent result bother me more than they would others. Something else in G&Gs favor was how silky (not a skating term I know lol) they were on the ice. M&D did seem to skate "heavier". That was a weird Olympics all around when they let the pros back in.
    "Silky" may not be a skating term but it's a perfect description for G&G! Virtue & Moir have the same quality. You're right re: the weirdness of 1994, though -- on top of everything else, there was Tonya and Nancy. Sheesh, what a gawdawful mess that was.

Re: your other comment about Michelle's Salome, I honestly don't remember that one so much so will have to check it out on YouTube.

All the best to you and your daughter!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast