How Sotnikova beat Kim - Move by Move | Page 4 | Golden Skate

How Sotnikova beat Kim - Move by Move

Manitou

Medalist
Sotnikova won by PCS inflation. Plain and simple. It took Kim and Kostner 7 years to increase their PCS in the magnitude that Sotnikova's PCS did in 3 months time. By Sochi they were supposedly all equal in PCS. The 7-triple nonsense just doesn't hold up, especially when you compare it against Kostner's 7-triple program or Mao's 8-triple program, both of which were scored far below Sotnikova's despite being far superior in choreography, skating skills and interpretation.

Glad you are referring to Carolina's choreography and interpretation, because here in particular I agree with you. Fortunately Olympics is not about choreography and interpretation, but about athletically measurable elements.
And I am also glad you did not refer to Yuna's choreography and interpretation, because here is Sochi those didn't exist at all.

volk

Final Flight
Sotnikova won by PCS inflation. Plain and simple. It took Kim and Kostner 7 years to increase their PCS in the magnitude that Sotnikova's PCS did in 3 months time. By Sochi they were supposedly all equal in PCS. The 7-triple nonsense just doesn't hold up, especially when you compare it against Kostner's 7-triple program or Mao's 8-triple program, both of which were scored far below Sotnikova's despite being far superior in choreography, skating skills and interpretation.

PCS go up with tech score and this was the her best performance in FS. Because she never skated so well she never got scores so high! DUH!

miaobrien

Rinkside
You can do the math on the jumps, but Sotnikova clearly got the benefit of the judges all the way around. They were eager to give her full credit as long as she didn’t obviously stumble but think about a hitch on the exit of the first 3Lz-3T jump (caused by slight under-rotation), to a two-foot or step-out on the landing form 2Lo, to changing hands from a spin at short program. There has to be a steeper gradient of deductions to Sotnikova's performances for increasing flaws because figure skating is not a circus. Therefore, Asada surely received insufficient points for her long program which was more difficult than Sotnikova. I think anyone who loves figure skating felt modified by tossing out the high and low outliers is an insufficient mitigation for the anonymity, period. Artistry matters in figure skating. No judge can honestly tell you Sotnikova came within 0.09 of Kim in artistry. Not even close. Sotnikova did not even match Kostner or Asada, but somehow she got higher component (artistic) score than those two. There is no explanation for this other than padding by biased judges.

Ven

Match Penalty
Kim, one of the greatest skaters of all time, scored flawless 150.06 in 2010 with one more element. That skate would have earned 146 today. And her flawless Les Mis last year earned 148.

But Adelina Sotnikova of all people scored 149.95 with a step out. Yeah, makes sense to me.

miaobrien

Rinkside
Math is math. 6 technical score difference, period. Proven point by point, element by element. And you bitter people need to shut up! There is a reason the 6.0 system is gone.
Let's write a petition to ISU to invalidate math! Math is corrupted! Math is a russophile! Putin corrupted math!

Even in artististry Yuna's marks were overblown in my opinion. No choreography. Performing to tango without a tango? It's the same as performing to waltz with a some random tempo. Just going from jump to a jump with no concept of any performance in between. I am not an expert in dance at all, but I know enough that you cannot just randomly skate around to tango music, because the result will be terrible. If she had chosen some contemporary classical then she would not have exposed her lack of choreography so much. The tango choice was really bad.
However, it's my own personal opinion. It's just how I saw tangos performed before and how Yuna looked disconnected from it.

Not to mention she lacked energy and looked very passive in her performance.

Mao did 8 and she should have won the gold then.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
PCS go up with tech score and this was the her best performance in FS. Because she never skated so well she never got scores so high! DUH!

She must've drunk some magic potion to skate so much better within 3 months. Either that or she was skating with one foot three months ago.

Gracie Gold switched coaches, changed programs, improved her techniques, skated miles better than she did a year/2 years ago, and her scores still didn't shoot up that much.

Krislite

Medalist

Wow! I bow at your cogent and logical refutation! :bow: Argument over folks. That completely explains Sotnikova's PCS.

tectonicplate

Spectator

It might be her best performance, but it doesn't match up to the performances of Kim, Kostner, or Asada. Which is, uh, probably why she doesn't get scores so high. That is, until Russianflation happened

Ophelia

Record Breaker
By Volk's logic, if I was at Sochi and skated my best, I'd medal too.

Brb, signing up for the next Olympics.