How Sotnikova beat Kim - Move by Move | Page 14 | Golden Skate

How Sotnikova beat Kim - Move by Move

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Michelle did not say she thought Sotnikova should have won. She said she thought Sotnikova won "fair and square" according to the rules in place. She said she prefers Yuna's skating because she is both technical and artistic. This is similar to what Sandra Bezic said, however you misconstrued that as well. Michelle would not come out and say Yuna should have won, no because it would make the sport look bad, and she has a responsibility as one of its most public faces. It would hurt her legacy and the sport's image to openly dispute the result of an Olympic games. Again, acquiescing to a bad situation is not the same thing as agreeing with what happened. You clearly 1. don't know anything about the sport, 2. will stop at nothing in your smarmy insincere arguments. Clearly logic isn't a factor in your arguments here.

I suppose we disagree that the phrase "hands down, fair and square this person won" means someone thinks that person should have won. She obviously prefers Yuna's skating but didn't think Yuna should have won under the judging system. I'm not sure what you think I'm missing there logically. :laugh:

sk8in

Match Penalty
She doubled back on that statement. Again, you really have no regard for context or seeking out the truth. You're just cherry picking things to make a case, because YOU prefered Adelina's skating. You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts. When Michelle later said, "the people doing the judging" need to be changed, the implication was that she disagreed with how the judges applied the system at the Olympics. On the NBC broadcast what they pointed out was that no one was betting on the top 3 skaters having tied PCS, and that would continue to be a debate. At world this past week, Anna Pogorilaya skated in my opinion a better program than Sotnikova and came in fourth. What is the difference between Worlds and Sochi? The former wasn't in Russia.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She doubled back on that statement.

No she didn't. It is a fact she said under the scoring system Adelina should have won. Stop dismissing her actual words and injecting your own interpretation in her criticism of the judges. Michelle doesn't have to agree with you for your belief that Yuna should have won to be credible. Even as an Adelina fan I can see the case being made for any of the top three winning. Like Michelle, I think Adelina should have won but, unlike Michelle, I personally preferred Carolina's program. We don't always have to agree and that's ok.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
At this point, it's up to people how they want to interpret Michelle's stance. For me, I don't think it's an ringing endorsement to say Adelina won fair and square (add a qualifying remark of under the particular scoring system), then follow that up with a big "however...".

I also think it's rather telling that Michelle congratulated and gushed over all the top skaters on Twitter but didn't even mention Adelina or her win. But that just might be me reading too much into things. :think:

sk8in

Match Penalty
No she didn't. It is a fact she said under the scoring system Adelina should have won. Stop dismissing her actual words and injecting your own interpretation in her criticism of the judges. Michelle doesn't have to agree with you for your belief that Yuna should have won to be credible. Even as an Adelina fan I can see the case being made for any of the top three winning. Like Michelle, I think Adelina should have won but, unlike Michelle, I personally preferred Carolina's program. We don't always have to agree and that's ok.
You're the one who started claiming Adelina's credibility as a gold medalist based on the authority of commentators and former competitors. I'm pointing out that you're taking quotes out of context, and spinning peoples' opinions which is GROSS, and demonstrates that you are insincere. When Sandra Bezic said Yuna gave up points, she wasn't saying Adelina's PCS should have been that high. When Michelle said the judges needed to be changed, it is inherently an indictment of how points were handed out at Sochi. Again, she said that AFTER she made the fair and square comment. The outcome can't have been fair and square if the judges were corrupt and contaminated by huge conflicts of interest! That isn't an interpretation of Michelle's comments! It is a very obvious reflection of her skepticism.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
For me, I don't think it's an ringing endorsement to say Adelina won fair and square (add a qualifying remark of under the particular scoring system), then follow that up with a big "however...".

She prefers Yuna's skating. That is no secret. I'm not saying Michelle didn't want Yuna to win, or that Yuna wasn't her favorite, just that she thought Adelina won "fair and square". (And it's not a qualifying remark to say Adelina won "under the scoring system" because it is the score that determines the winner, not whom we like best.)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm pointing out that you're taking quotes out of context, and spinning peoples' opinions which is GROSS, and demonstrates that you are insincere.

I posted a link to video commentary and taking the words at face value. You are trying to read meaning into something and completely ignoring what you choose to ignore. Stop getting so mad. You don't have to hate Michelle just because she thought Yuna should have scored lower than Adelina. This is why everyone gets frustrated with Yuna-ubers because you refuse to acknowledge that it's ok for people to disagree with the outcome.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
When Sandra Bezic said Yuna gave up points, she wasn't saying Adelina's PCS should have been that high.

When did she say Adelina's PCS was too high? Please post a link to video or an article with a quote because you assume far too much.

sk8in

Match Penalty
You're truly amazing. So now I hate Michelle Kwan because I'm pointing out how slimey and inane your posts are. I'm saying it is OK for you to love Sotnikova and be happy with her gold. I may think your taste in figure skating is awful, however we are all entitled to like what we like. What I don't think is ok is using that preference as an excuse to spin others' statements, and try to pretend like everyone agrees with Sotnikova win, when clearly it was controversial.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
What I don't think is ok is using that preference as an excuse to spin others' statements, and try to pretend like everyone agrees with Sotnikova win, when clearly it was controversial.

You're right. Michelle never said Adelina won "hands down, fair and square." Please accept my apologies for bringing up her statement, which was so courageous given that she is friends with Yuna and still went on record saying she thinks Adelina should have won.

sk8in

Match Penalty
When did she say Adelina's PCS was too high? Please post a link to video or an article with a quote because you assume far too much.
Once again you are the one who said Bezic endorsed Adelina's gold. Now we have video on YouTube of the actual broadcast and they undermine your claims quite a bit. Please don't try to project your crappy logic onto me because you got caught spinning.

sk8in

Match Penalty
You're right. Michelle never said Adelina won "hands down, fair and square." Please accept my apologies for bringing up her statement, which was so courageous given that she is friends with Yuna and still went on record saying she thinks Adelina should have won.
Once again, if you are just going to cherry pick quotes, you can make anyone sound like they believe whatever you want them to.

cooper

Medalist
It's possible she meant the judging panel controversy took attention away from the fact that Adelina was the rightful winner, as MM pointed out. Unless she addresses the skaters specifically all we can go on is what she said previously.

and disregard what she said later...??

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
and disregard what she said later...??

She said nothing. Not. A. Thing. About Yuna or Adelina specifically later. She also said nothing. Not. A. Thing. About who should have won other than when she said Adelina should have won initially. I don't understand how you Yuna-ubers can completely ignore her initial statement which was explicit and go on a subjective interpretation of her disliking the composition of the judging panel as some sort of endorsement that Yuna should have won.

cooper

Medalist
She said nothing. Not. A. Thing. About Yuna or Adelina specifically later. She also said nothing. Not. A. Thing. About who should have won other than when she said Adelina should have won initially. I don't understand how you Yuna-ubers can completely ignore her initial statement which was explicit and go on a subjective interpretation of her disliking the composition of the judging panel as some sort of endorsement that Yuna should have won.

she said nothing?? she just basically said that there's a problem in the judging.. of course when someone is saying that there's a problem in the judging you will just shrug it off..

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Thanks for the link.

I am curious about what this means (from the Google translation)

Yes, it's a good one. She meant double loop - "loop" sounds similar to лук which is onions in russian. So she says that Yuna did not do a 3 jump combination and even in the 2 jump combination the second jump was easy - not the same as her loop.

Another good one is "mat in Korean". Mat (Мат) is curse words (both in plural and singular). "Solid mat" means "heavy curses". Poor girl.

But my favourite is "in the mean time I will carry the pope". She meant in fact that her father would drive before she obtains the license. Google made my day.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If [Yuna] had chosen something more complicated, for example, Great Snipe onions, as I did …[/b]
What I've learned at GS

Loop Jump=snipe onion
Toe Loop= sheep skin

:laugh: