How Sotnikova beat Kim - Move by Move | Page 13 | Golden Skate

How Sotnikova beat Kim - Move by Move

Nadya

On the Ice
here are Italy's reaction on Yuna's free skating. Sorry I don't have a subtitle.
you have to watch on computer
http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/...s_keyword=xoQk

Actually I found one with english subtitle. It's from Sky italia

http://vimeo.com/89457478

Silvia Fontana (2 time Olympian and retired figure skater in white), Danilo Freri (blue) and Massimiliano Ambesi (green), both for Sky Italia.
Enjoy
You're late to the game, someone already posted that link and we all had a good laugh over it. What's it got to do with Kwan though?

jatale

On the Ice
I feel bad for Adelina, her politically engineered OGM will haunt her the rest of her life. She will be the victim of this fiasco. From the perspective of history, Yuna will have been robbed and Adelina falsely gifted. The irony of this is that Adelina's legacy could have been so much better if she had justifiably won the OSM.

sk8in

Match Penalty
She's not a victim at all. She is going to reap huge benefits from her gold medal. No one in Russia views her as a fraud, and I doubt the judgment of foreigners or the larger skating world is going to trump all the endorsements, commercials, and skating shows that will make her rich. Political or not, she is the first Russian women to win gold in the individual competition. If you won a million dollars on a game show by cheating, would you really feel badly about it? She is lucky as hell.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not like Adelina subscribes to the Sochi Olympics mail order catalogue and simply phoned in an order for a gold medal. I mean she still had to show up and deliver her performance in front of not only Iceberg Palace but her entire medal crazy country! And with all that pressure she still delivered her programs to the best of her abilities. She is as deserving of an Olympic medal as anyone! The color may be debatable but the effort is not. Feel bad for her? Really? She worked as hard as anyone to get there to even have a chance to compete in the first place. On top of it all she gets the satisfaction of helping out her sister who by all accounts is an insipiration to her and someone she clearly loves dearly. I say helping her sister is worth ten times what that gold medal would ever mean to anyone in the world. Feel bad for her? No thanks. Ill save my pity for those who don't recognize her talent and story as pure gold itself.

While I'm not a major Adelina fan I have always had respect. Come to think of it...I'll probably be rooting for harder than I ever have even though her success could harm my personal favorite.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I have mixed feelings towards Adelina's win. Mainly anger but not to her but to the judges, tech callers, ISU and IOC or whoever's involved in that shenanigan.

Adelina did not rob Yuna. It was those people mentioned above who did. Hating her personally is just plain wrong and mean. Why would anyone hate an athlete who just delivered her best performances in front of her home crowd? She was delighted to skate that way and was happy to receive admiration from her people.
I think when people say they "feel bad for her", it is because of the backlash afterwards. I, myself, stated before that I feel bad for her too BECAUSE she has been receiving hate she doesn't deserve and being judged by people from around the globe. Who wouldn't feel bad about that?

And her interviews before and commentary at Worlds (re who should have received the silver medal) certainly did not help her reputation to people who find her win a fraud. I am guilty of that, I find some of her interviews/comments arrogant and insensitive. But that doesn't take away my respect for her as an athlete.

However, I do honestly believe that even if she would have won an Olympic bronze/silver, that would have and should have helped her financially. So either way, she'd be able to help her sister. The gold win was just pure greed from her fed or whoever's involved IMO.

leafygreens

Final Flight
I have mixed feelings towards Adelina's win. Mainly anger but not to her but to the judges, tech callers, ISU and IOC or whoever's involved in that shenanigan.

Adelina did not rob Yuna. It was those people mentioned above who did. Hating her personally is just plain wrong and mean. Why would anyone hate an athlete who just delivered her best performances in front of her home crowd? She was delighted to skate that way and was happy to receive admiration from her people.
I think when people say they "feel bad for her", it is because of the backlash afterwards. I, myself, stated before that I feel bad for her too BECAUSE she has been receiving hate she doesn't deserve and being judged by people from around the globe. Who wouldn't feel bad about that?

And her interviews before and commentary at Worlds (re who should have received the silver medal) certainly did not help her reputation to people who find her win a fraud. I am guilty of that, I find some of her interviews/comments arrogant and insensitive. But that doesn't take away my respect for her as an athlete.

While the blame for the OGM obviously resides solely on the shoulders of the judges, tech callers, ISU and IOC, Adelina did not help her reputation afterwards, by pompously claiming that *of course she won, she had the most difficult program* and wanted "all the gold in the world." Adelina acted like her PCS/GOE/lack of edge call was completely deserved and not at all suspect. For her to honestly think that requires a willing suspension of disbelief on her part. Dropping out of Worlds after wanting "all the gold in the world" doesn't help the case of her ethics.

Nadya

On the Ice
While the blame for the OGM obviously resides solely on the shoulders of the judges, tech callers, ISU and IOC, Adelina did not help her reputation afterwards, by pompously claiming that *of course she won, she had the most difficult program* and wanted "all the gold in the world." Adelina acted like her PCS/GOE/lack of edge call was completely deserved and not at all suspect. For her to honestly think that requires a willing suspension of disbelief on her part. Dropping out of Worlds after wanting "all the gold in the world" doesn't help the case of her ethics.
She didn't say she wants all the gold in the world right now. She's 17. There's plenty of Worlds opportunities in her future if she wants them.

JayW

Final Flight

Please don't blame Adelina who is only 17, and mistakes at the age can be forgiven and forgotten.

leafygreens

Final Flight
Please don't blame Adelina who is only 17, and mistakes at the age can be forgiven and forgotten.

Re-read first sentence.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Kwan later doubled back, claiming the judging system is correct, but the people doing the judging need to be fixed. That wasn't "inexplicable." She was acknowledging the glaring conflicts of interest present in the judging panel that night. Of course Michelle Kwan is not going to come out and trash the entire Olympic competition. Do you know anything about figure skating? I can not stand people like you who are so obviously insincere. It is like when Republicans decry "reverse racism" or something. If you simply prefered Sotnikova's skating than argue THAT.

When did Kwan explicitly say Yuna should have won? Because she explicitly said Adelina should have won. How is that insincere when I post a video of these words coming out of Michelle's mouth? Here it is again: http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/st...n-gold1-022014

If Kwan is bold enough to criticize the UKR judge you don't think she is strong enough to correct herself and come out and say Yuna should have won if that's what she believes? Michelle skate in Yuna's shows, it would be very easy for her to come out and support Yuna if she believes she should have won, not say "hands down, fair and square, Adelina won." Although continue living in denial that Kwan never said that if you'd like.

At the end of the day, Michelle is just one person. You don't have to agree or disagree with her. There are plenty of people who do not think Adelina should have one. Michelle isn't one of them.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
@drivingmissdaisy - 1) your link doesn't work, 2) there's a caveat to Michelle's statement, 3) I find it contradictory that Elvis Stojko went on record saying that Michelle Kwan (amongst others sitting around him) was visibly upset at the scores and that Michelle approached Yuna's judges crying (some news report), then Michelle went on tv and gave a hem-haw answer on Adelina's win.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
@drivingmissdaisy - 1) your link doesn't work, 2) there's a caveat to Michelle's statement, 3) I find it contradictory that Elvis Stojko went on record saying that Michelle Kwan (amongst others sitting around him) was visibly upset at the scores and that Michelle approached Yuna's judges crying (some news report), then Michelle went on tv and gave a hem-haw answer on Adelina's win.

1) My apologies, here is the full link: http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/how-adelina-sotnikova-won-gold1-022014
2) What is the caveat to her statement when she said clearly she thought Adelina should have won? Michelle could not have been clearer in her opinion that Adelina should have won. I'm not sure how people misconsture that into her thinking Yuna should have won.
3) Whether Michelle was sad for Yuna not winning has nothing to do with the fact that she SAID Adelina should have won. Nothing about her answer seemed "hem-haw" to me. She could have expressed luke-warm support for Adelina's win but didn't; she said "hands down, fair-and-square" Adelina won. To me, that is emphatic support for Sotnikova's victory.

cooper

Medalist
1) My apologies, here is the full link: http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/how-adelina-sotnikova-won-gold1-022014
2) What is the caveat to her statement when she said clearly she thought Adelina should have won? Michelle could not have been clearer in her opinion that Adelina should have won. I'm not sure how people misconsture that into her thinking Yuna should have won.
3) Whether Michelle was sad for Yuna not winning has nothing to do with the fact that she SAID Adelina should have won. Nothing about her answer seemed "hem-haw" to me. She could have expressed luke-warm support for Adelina's win but didn't; she said "hands down, fair-and-square" Adelina won. To me, that is emphatic support for Sotnikova's victory.

and later on she said.. "It's not the scoring system that's the problem, it's the judges" @ 6:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWjEQJwKlK4

she certainly supported that adelina deserved to win that moment.. and then made a comment that is contradictory later..

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
she certainly supported that adelina deserved to win that moment.. and then made a comment that is contradictory later..

I agree it was contradictory but she never said Yuna should have won. To me, suggesting you didn't like the UKR judge doesn't mean she thinks Yuna deserved to win either. Again, a lot of people (and experts) disagreed with the results and were vocal about it. Michelle is not among them; she didn't like the judging panel but agreed with the results and never retracted her initial opinion.

cooper

Medalist
I agree it was contradictory but she never said Yuna should have won. To me, suggesting you didn't like the UKR judge doesn't mean she thinks Yuna deserved to win either. Again, a lot of people (and experts) disagreed with the results and were vocal about it. Michelle is not among them; she didn't like the judging panel but agreed with the results and never retracted her initial opinion.

but she said that the the judging is the problem.. meaning she thinks adelina deserved to win but there's a problem in the judging..? how is that even considered a full support to a win.. when there's a problem in the first place.. sounds wishy washy to me..

In Michelle Kwan's first segment for Fox Sports, right after the ladies event, she said, with some reluctance, that when all was said and all was done, Adelina emerged the victor "fair and square." Her body language was like, "doggone it!" :)

Here is the link to the second MK round table discussion. When asked, "What was the biggest surprise of the Games," she said that the biggest surprise was that Yuna Kim did not win despite skating a clean program. Michelle reveled that before the competition she had told Yuna, her friend, "If you go clean you will win. Just be yourself out there and you will win."

Michelle did not criticize the judging in either segment. It was reported that Michelle later tearfully consoled Yuna in the capacity of a personal friend who understood exactly how bad she was feeling right then.

The other person on the panel with Michelle (I think he is a general sports blogger and commentator) was asked, what was the biggest disappointment of the Games. He said that the worst thing about the Games was the judging controversy, because it took attention away from the wonderful performances of both Kim and Sotnikova. He also said earlier that the best part of the whole Games, to him, was Julia Lipnotskia's short program performance in the team event.

Overall, I think that Michelle wanted Yuna to win, but in figure skating at the Olympics you don't always get what you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrKcWkRue_c

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
but she said that the the judging is the problem.. meaning she thinks adelina deserved to win but there's a problem in the judging..? how is that even considered a full support to a win.. when there's a problem in the first place.. sounds wishy washy to me..

It's possible she meant the judging panel controversy took attention away from the fact that Adelina was the rightful winner, as MM pointed out. Unless she addresses the skaters specifically all we can go on is what she said previously.

sk8in

Match Penalty
When did Kwan explicitly say Yuna should have won? Because she explicitly said Adelina should have won. How is that insincere when I post a video of these words coming out of Michelle's mouth? Here it is again: http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/st...n-gold1-022014

If Kwan is bold enough to criticize the UKR judge you don't think she is strong enough to correct herself and come out and say Yuna should have won if that's what she believes? Michelle skate in Yuna's shows, it would be very easy for her to come out and support Yuna if she believes she should have won, not say "hands down, fair and square, Adelina won." Although continue living in denial that Kwan never said that if you'd like.

At the end of the day, Michelle is just one person. You don't have to agree or disagree with her. There are plenty of people who do not think Adelina should have one. Michelle isn't one of them.
Michelle did not say she thought Sotnikova should have won. She said she thought Sotnikova won "fair and square" according to the rules in place. She said she prefers Yuna's skating because she is both technical and artistic. This is similar to what Sandra Bezic said, however you misconstrued that as well. Michelle would not come out and say Yuna should have won, no because it would make the sport look bad, and she has a responsibility as one of its most public faces. It would hurt her legacy and the sport's image to openly dispute the result of an Olympic games. Again, acquiescing to a bad situation is not the same thing as agreeing with what happened. You clearly 1. don't know anything about the sport, 2. will stop at nothing in your smarmy insincere arguments. Clearly logic isn't a factor in your arguments here.