Who gets stressed during the olympics? I'm ready for Worlds thank god. | Golden Skate

Who gets stressed during the olympics? I'm ready for Worlds thank god.

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
I always feel relieved once the Olympic Game Figure Skating Competitions are over. I know it is every four years but it seems as though there is better skating because the athletes are under a little less stress. Does anyone else feel this way.

Amei

Record Breaker
I always feel relieved once the Olympic Game Figure Skating Competitions are over. I know it is every four years but it seems as though there is better skating because the athletes are under a little less stress. Does anyone else feel this way.

Agree, the skating is a lot better at Worlds in an Olympic year because "the event everyone works their whole lives for" is over.

Amei

Record Breaker
forget about it

Agree - every single thread somebody is bringing up this stuff - there are plenty of threads discussing it. Why bring it into a thread that is not related to it.

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
Agree, the skating is a lot better at Worlds in an Olympic year because "the event everyone works their whole lives for" is over.

Thank you.
Please let's do our best to make this a positive thread everybody

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
For me Worlds after an Olympics is a let down in most ways. Normally because the Olympic favorites all take the rest of the year off or retire after the Olys... so we have a half hearted passing of the torch to the next generation - if the federations bother to send the right people for that.

It's nice to see the new blood, but I'm still in an Olympic let down and can't get as into it.

Krislite

Medalist
The Worlds after the Olympics is always a let down. Skaters peak for Olympics so most of them who show up are in relatively poor shape and it is frequently a splat fest. Mao, however, might just feel confident enough after her magnificent LP that she may win another title, especially this time with a much more supportive audience at home. Kostner and Kim won't be there and I'm sure Sotnikova will be experiencing the same let-down other gold medalists go through even if she were to participate, so she's got a great opportunity.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The Worlds after the Olympics is always a let down. Skaters peak for Olympics so most of them who show up are in relatively poor shape and it is frequently a splat fest. Mao, however, might just feel confident enough after her magnificent LP that she may win another title, especially this time with a much more supportive audience at home. Kostner and Kim won't be there and I'm sure Sotnikova will be experiencing the same let-down other gold medalists go through even if she were to participate, so she's got a great opportunity.

Is Mao planning on Worlds? Not sure she can recreate the magic that she had in the LP in Sochi.

Krislite

Medalist
Is Mao planning on Worlds? Not sure she can recreate the magic that she had in the LP in Sochi.

Why not? It must surely be such a big confidence booster that she could take it and build on it. And it will be before a very loving Japanese crowd. It would be the perfect way to cap her career (though this Olympic LP is also a perfect capstone).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Why not? It must surely be such a big confidence booster that she could take it and build on it. And it will be before a very loving Japanese crowd. It would be the perfect way to cap her career (though this Olympic LP is also a perfect capstone).

I'm not saying she can't have a great skate... but there was something *extra* that's in a skate like the one she had... the one where they really have nothing to lose and skate for themselves and... yeah... can't explain it... Kurt Browning's 94 LP comes to mind even though it wasn't "perfect" by anyone's standards... or Jeremy Abbott's LP in Sochi... hard to explain... there's just that... emotion? that's behind it that won't be the same with the clean slate at Worlds.

Amei

Record Breaker
This year I feel like a lot of medal contenders aren't going to be retiring though. The only one's I could see 'maybe' retiring before World's are Asada, Suzuki and Kostner. Kostner got her Olympic medal, and I feel like even though it would be in front of a home crowd that both Asada and Suzuki might retire before - I feel like Suzuki gave everything she had at Nationals, the entire Olympics she seemed like she was running on empty.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I've always enjoyed the Worlds after Olympics, because a lot of people who didn't do their best at Olympics really try hard at Worlds for redemption or just to move up in general. 2002 Worlds had lots of great performances from the Men, Suguri's best performance ever, a solid dance competition, and a stunning FS from Pang/Tong in pairs. 2006 Worlds had a great competition in Men's and Dance and that amazing performance from Meissner in Women's. 2010 Worlds had Takahashi finally winning and lots of superb SP performances, Asada skating a clean competition, a phenomenal D/W FD, and S/S doing a glorious Out of Africa performance.

Trewyn

Medalist
I'm also relieved Olys are over. I think I had too much time at hand and I've basically been living under a rock to watch every minute of figure skating and some other events. Back to real life now. Phew.
I'm also looking forward to Worlds in a way. Though it's going to be sad to finally have it sink that some of my longtime favorites have retired. I went to Turin in 2010 for Worlds and had a blast. They might not be the most memorable Worlds, but they were a lot more exciting than 2011 Worlds, looking back. I hope Mao, Ashley, Akiko and Jeremy all have great redemption this March. (Podium of Mao, Ashley and Akiko would be dream come true :) )

And the good thing is, it's all still a month away :p Taking a break now :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
1984 world's was one of the best ever. (Great performances by Torvill and Dean, Martini and Underhill, Scott Hamilton, Brian Orser, Elaine Zayak) 1992 world's in Oakland was the pits. Post Olympics world's can be either, just like any other worlds.

I am ready to see this year's, if only to see what heights the warm and wonderful Japanese audience will inspire the skaters to rise to. And seeing the new faces is always exciting.

I always look forward to the Olympics, but they are always too much.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Actually I think this is going to be a very important worlds, because it really is transitional from the last Mohicans of the 6.0 world to the "post 6.0" worlds. So we're in for, as the song says, a whole new worlds. Probably in more ways than Disney could ever have imagined. It's going to set a tone.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
There is only one petition we need to start & that's to get Mao & Akiko to carry on skating next season.
I still feel like both have so much to give. Especially Mao.
I would love to see them both medal at the Worlds.