Amber Corwin | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Amber Corwin

S

sk8guy2k2

Re: Amber Corwin

To me, Amber clearly is just "there" competing. She isn't pushing the other competitors techically and artistically. Theres something I just dont like about her presentation, I just can pinpoint what it is. Maybe its her arms that are too stiff. Or maybe its just the choice of music...

J

JillLaQ

I think Amber is an attractive woman. I guess she is to this decade what Kwiatkowski was to the 90s, the perennial bridesmaid.

BTW, when life throws you lemons, stick them in your bra. It won't hurt, it might help!

D

DORISPULASKI

What I meant about 'is not beautiful' was that I personally believe if she had her same current skating
skills and was drop dead gorgeous, that she would place a couple or 2 places higher at every competition. Sadly,
this is how the world often works. I once saw a statistical breakdown on this, and attractive people make something like 10 or 15% more than unattractive people in the same job description.

P.S. compared to me at any stage of my life, she is Miss Universe!

DPP

J

JillLaQ

Hey Doris, unfortuneatly, that's usually true. However, good looks aren't going to last forever, and they don't take the place of true talent and abilities.

L

Linny

Interesting to compare Corwin to Kwiatkowski as if they were different generations... Think back as to how long Amber has been on the national scene and you'll get what I mean.
Linny

J

Joesitz

It must be summer time. The Amber waves of grain are getting taller.
:)

Joe

B

berthes ghost

Well, I can see the similarity in that both let kids slip right past them (MK, Bobek and Tara for Tonia and SH, Sasha and Angela for Amber).

However, Tonia was always better prepared with more interesting programs and more finshed moves. Despite the competiton, she kept it together to win 2 bronzes, a silver and 3 trips to worlds. Amber's never made it past 5th.

Amber definately missed the boat in 99, now she'll never catch up.

R

rgirl181

I agree with Peachskater, BronzeisGolden, Mathman, and others who have said that Amber has problems putting a good program together, lacks spark, and especially with Mathman's comment that there is something unfinished about her skating. As for Doris's comments about attractive looks, unfortunately I think Doris is correct that female skaters who are exceptionally beautiful who skate the same as a "plain" young woman have a one or two place advantage. Doris didn't say it was right, just that that's the reality. Also, some of the other "plain" skaters who were mentioned, like Midori Ito, had phenomenal skating skills. Amber has always been on the bubble. I don't think she has been undermarked for reasons mentioned by Peachskater and BronzeisGolden. Plus as someone else said, when you've been on the scene year after year in 5th-7th place, I don't think it's a conspiracy of judges undermarking you. That's too many different judges giving you the same marks. I say it means there are some fundamental problems in your skating that perhaps we can't see watching on TV.

However, if Amber really can pack her programs with everything she said she's going to do, then I think with the COP she might move up. However, I will only believe it when I see it. I hope for her sake that her new strategy works--I really do admire her proactive work in terms of skaters' rights, etc.--but the COP is such a huge unknown that I have no idea what might happen with any skater. I wish Amber well and would love to see what she says actually happen, but I'm not holding my breath.
Rgirl

M

MSI83

I think Corwin has some interesting choreography in her SP's, but lets it slide in her LP's. I remember once in a competition where she beat Angela N, and her skating impressed there.

She has the jumps and spins, but she should improve on stamina, connecting steps/moves, and better speed. Certainly I find her a more interesting skater than Volchkova, Mcdonough, and Ye Bon Mok (sp?).

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:green;font-family:georgia;font-size:medium;">It's a shame she thinks that the way to move up is to concentrate on upping the technical rather than looking at the overall package and fix what she is so obviously lacking.</span>

I

Idleracer

[c]<font size=4><font color="#008080">No she doesn't look like Naomi Lang. She looks like Mayim Bialik. She's basically an attractive woman. Unfortunately, her one facial flaw is something that cannot be fixed with plastic surgery...her eyes are way too close together.<font size=2>

E

Excidra2001

Amber is an okay skater not great but I think she can be great if she works hard at it. Doing a 3toe/3toe in every program and the judges still give her the same marks every time out should give her some hints.
I don't think she is lacking, presention wise but she needs a team of choreographers who can bring out the best in her. Imagin what Nikoli M could do for Amber.

As for the people(not you Doris) who are criticizing Amber's looks, I bet she looks better then those who are making fun of her looks.