Three entrants from countries that have not made the top 3 last year? | Golden Skate

Three entrants from countries that have not made the top 3 last year?

Flaya

Match Penalty
Hi guys.

I wasn't following the figure skating closely in the last 6-7 years.

And I was surprised by this with the Olympics and now the Worlds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_World_Figure_Skating_Championships

A few years ago, when you made the top 3 you could enter 3 contestants next year, when you placed 4th to 10th you could enter 2 contestants.

Now, in men's competition, why can Japan enter 3 skaters and not 2. Why Spain and Kazakhstan can only enter 2?
I understand some skaters may not meet all the requirements, but if 3 Spanish or Kazakhstani skaters did, why they cannot enter a third skater based on their top 3 from last year.

The same goes to USA in women, why can they enter 3 girls if they did not make the top 3 last year and why Italy can only enter 2?

What is the new formula that ISU uses nowdays to determine how many skaters can enter? Can someone explain it to me.

Flaya

Match Penalty
The rules are the same as they have always been: http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/faq/rules.shtml#Q10

No, they are not as they have been.

Open the link that you included yourself and read the second line:

In past years, the formula was based on the placement of the highest skater from each country in each discipline. Now the formula is based on adding the placements of the two best competitors from the country. Competitors who didn't qualify for the free skate get 18 points, and anyone who finishes lower than 16th overall gets 16 points. There is now an exception made for skaters who have to withdraw in the middle of the competition because of injury or equipment damage.

That is what I wanted to know: adding the placements of the two best competitors.

Crylais

Rinkside
If you have only 1 skater then it's based on placement in the top 2. Now if a nation has two skaters, there is a higher chance of one placing in the top 2. Hence I think that's why they add the best two scores. I think that is pretty fair.

No, they are not as they have been.

Open the link that you included yourself and read the second line:

In past years, the formula was based on the placement of the highest skater from each country in each discipline. Now the formula is based on adding the placements of the two best competitors from the country. Competitors who didn't qualify for the free skate get 18 points, and anyone who finishes lower than 16th overall gets 16 points. There is now an exception made for skaters who have to withdraw in the middle of the competition because of injury or equipment damage.

The text I linked to has been written many years ago. ;)

This formula has been in use ever since I remember starting to follow skating closely. So 10-15 years, at least.