Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Have the values of figure skating been betrayed?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    Thanks for extended answer!
    However, the result is made by both technical and component score and the later is where values befall. I'll explain to you how it was explained to me: skaters have to interpret the music. Thay have to do every move with music accenting or illustrating it. They are not allowerd to make preparation pauses before elements like Sotnikova did; which besides suggests that her technique wasn't superior. If supperior, the jumps should look like a musical accent - like Yuna's.
    That's what Caro did. She had it ALL in her performance. Adelina had huge easy looking jumps - that's considered too..And her jumps were in the 2nd half of the program - her difficult jumps and combos, I mean. So her GOE was bigger, and rightfully so! Also her spins were much better than Yuna's. So is there a question on TES? Her PCS were high, I agree. But even if she had 69-70, she'd still have won. Yuna has reputation. But her mistake was to go to Olys w/o competing in GP and other big ISU events. She can't be sure to get super high marks not competing. And Mao was better than both, so to say. Caro too!

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    That's what Caro did. She had it ALL in her performance. Adelina had huge easy looking jumps - that's considered too..And her jumps were in the 2nd half of the program - her difficult jumps and combos, I mean. So her GOE was bigger, and rightfully so! Also her spins were much better than Yuna's. So is there a question on TES? Her PCS were high, I agree. But even if she had 69-70, she'd still have won. Yuna has reputation. But her mistake was to go to Olys w/o competing in GP and other big ISU events. She can't be sure to get super high marks not competing. And Mao was better than both, so to say. Caro too!
    I can't disagree that Mao and Caro did better programs than both Yuna and Adelina
    That's right about Adelina's high jumps - this is praised and this is where her long preparation phase delivered; except for that weak landing after one combo. The 2nd half of the progran also matters. I think Adelina's program was buit for giant technical score like Russian programs usually are. However, that's why component score was invented: to make skaters intrepret the music, not just do the elements. This is where I feel that the values of figure skating have been betrayed. Had they been betrayed just emotionally or also technically - I think we have to see the protocol to tell that.

Bored
    Updated: fans are doing their own move-by-move; they compare videos and now they say there was a flutz in Sotnikova's first combo. The scandal is obviously a snowball that doesn't grow less. Myself, I'm glad I got involved and I just hope all these official and unofficial discussions will help to make figure skating of future better than it is today.

It's rather upsetting to think otherwise. I've read a number of articles since yesterday, most of them thanks to the links I found in this forum. Thanks to all of you! However, this one article made me particularly sad:
    http://deadspin.com/was-the-figure-s...tte-1527342028
    Maybe figure skating really has no values like this writer thinks and it's only tolerated because scandals and weird dresses entertains the public but it doesn't feel fair to me. People do this sport all life and it's a hard work. They deserve something beautiful in the end.

Custom Title
    The values of figure skating has been betrayed not only because of the judging but mainly because of the skater that has been bullied, death threats and malaise on that being. Skaters will never feel the same way about skating again. There will always be that doubt that if they win, there will be controversy about judging and the public and fans reaction to their win. Do you think that they are going about their business and not thinking about what happened event.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3