Jenna McCorkell - goodbye? | Golden Skate

Jenna McCorkell - goodbye?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Jenna finished yet another Olympic and has won yet another GB title. Is it time for her to go and let someone else skate at world's? Is she going to worlds? She skated poorly in the team event and individual. She didn't even qualify to skate her freeskate. Is it time to go? Give someone else a chance Or will she go to world's to try to yet again, and I say again, redeem herself?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem is no other British ladies qualify to skate at Worlds---they go to international Bs, but none of them get qualifying scores. Jenna was the only one.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I wish she got to skate the free. For some reason she seems to do better at Worlds, since most trips, she's managed to get into the free there while she has never skated a free in the Olympics.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, here's an opportunity to hijack the thread and gripe about the failure of British skating to back up the extraordinary foundation laid by Curry, Cousins, and T/D.

What a tremendous legacy... gold medals in three straight Olympic Games.

Since then... very little to get excited about. I recall Steven Cousins was a fairly reliable "Top Ten at Worlds, but not a Medal Threat" kind of skater, and now they've got a dance team that medaled at Euros... but that's not a whole lot to crow about.

I'm ready for the Brits to start producing again. Because they didn't just turn out champions, they turned out legends!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Jenna finished yet another Olympic and has won yet another GB title. Is it time for her to go and let someone else skate at world's? Is she going to worlds? She skated poorly in the team event and individual. She didn't even qualify to skate her freeskate. Is it time to go? Give someone else a chance Or will she go to world's to try to yet again, and I say again, redeem herself?

Come on Skater Boy, you're being rather harsh. Jenna skated well in the Team Event, getting a very good score for her. It's just that the other girls entered were always going to beat her anyway.

And as for the Individual competition, well, Jenna did well in it too, but was underscored by the judges. Did you notice how much she missed out on the FS by? 0.22 of a point! But, I don't want to go down the already over-trodden road of the judges scoring in this thread!

Who else is there to send? Scotland's Karly Robertson is consistently 2nd in the British Championships every year. But if she cannot get close to Jenna in British Championships, do you honestly expect her to do a lot better than Jenna on the international circuit?

But to answer your question. Yep, Jenna is retiring.

As you should all know by now, Jenna is my local skater. And because of the Olympics, she has been getting a lot of coverage in the local newspapers (although, not anywhere near as much coverage as our Slopestyle Snowboarder, Aimee Fuller).

And in these stories, she has made no secret that she is intending to hang up her skates once this season is up.

Note I have said "once this season is up". She IS planning on doing Worlds.

I have already scanned most of the stories I have come across, and am going to post them to Facebook (with links in the "Northern Ireland at the Winter Olympics" thread) when I finally get the chance to!

And I fully agree with TontoK! Although, I would say that Scotland's Sinead and John Kerr were becoming real contenders in the Dance a few years ago, but were stopped prematurely by injury.

I know "prematurely" is a strange word to use in reference to a couple that were on the Dance circuit for years, and were already the oldest couple still competing. But, it is true! They were only starting to show their full potential.

The whole problem is funding. The British Isles in general have no interest in Wintersports, so the UK and Irish governments don't see any point in giving them a lot of money.

I know of a number of VERY good skaters here in Northern Ireland that have had to give up their dreams and get proper jobs because they can't get the funding they need. And I am sure that it is the same across the water in Britain (and "Down South" in the Republic).

And, unfortunately, I cannot see that changing any time soon.

Good luck for the future Jenna... from down the road in Tyrone! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I like Penny and Nick.. they could become contenders on the World stage. It seems their results aren't always consistent from competition to competition though. They have come a long way since 2010, when they were near the back of the pack in Vancouver.