Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Time to apologise to Edmunds!

Custom Title
    I don't need to apologize because I felt she earned her way to the Olympics and she ended up in a top 10 finish. Kudos to her.

Custom Title
    I liked Edmunds most among the US ladies in Sochi. So much potential.

Banned
    Edmunds did the most difficult combination of any of the ladies with that flip/loop/salchow. She probably has the highest potential of the US ladies.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8in View Post
    Edmunds did the most difficult combination of any of the ladies with that flip/loop/salchow. She probably has the highest potential of the US ladies.
    I wouldn't put too much stock into this. At that age, it's fairly easy to pop these tricks out, and that's why it's pretty popular on the junior circuit (off the top of my head, Serafima Sakhanovich, Alexandra Proklova, and Lutricia Bock also do a variation of this, as well as a few other girls). She'll likely lose that jump (or at least be unable to keep it at competitive levels) as she ages.

Banned
    She was still the 3rd U.S lady so those who still cry Nagasu should have gone, Edmunds is still the obvious target. FWIW I think Nagasu would have placed the same or lower as Edmunds did in Sochi (probably lower) and agreed with the team selections all along, but still mantain Wagner's spot was and should have been more of a lock than either Edmunds or Nagasu even after Nationals.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Nagasu, Gold, and Wagner got the SOI spots over Edmunds. That might serve Nagasu better in the long run than going to Olympics, especially as she has already been. Edmunds did a nice job at Olympics. She may not be done growing and developing; whether she will keep all her jumps is just not known at this point. She has good technique though, so she has a decent chance.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by caelum View Post
    I wouldn't put too much stock into this. At that age, it's fairly easy to pop these tricks out, and that's why it's pretty popular on the junior circuit (off the top of my head, Serafima Sakhanovich, Alexandra Proklova, and Lutricia Bock also do a variation of this, as well as a few other girls). She'll likely lose that jump (or at least be unable to keep it at competitive levels) as she ages.
    Isn't she 17? Her body doesn't look like a type that will become more lady-like in the future. And gosh, is she tall. Just how tall is she? 5'10"?

Edit: My bad. She's 15. So yeah, perhaps she may go through growth spurt.

Tripping on the Podium slutskayafann's Avatar
    Good Luck to her. And actually "grown-ups" who talk passive about any 15 year girl cause she went to Olympics scare me.

Custom Title
    I'll say it: I think it's a totally rubbish joke that Nagasu gets Stars on Ice and Edmunds doesn't.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    15 year olds are a little young for touring. The tour is 20 stops, including all of April and May. It is difficult to get school work done, and the other cast members are a lot older. It was very hard for Tara, when she won Olympics, so she wrote later.

Plus I have to say, although I admire Polina's expertise, I can't see I particularly loved watching her live at Boston-she's still in that not quite soup category, exactly because she is young. She is not young enough to be automatically cute, nor grown up enough to look finished. I wouldn't pay to see her skate at this stage in her career.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-27-2014 at 07:27 AM.

Medalist
    I did think she deserved to go to the Olympics. My opinion was that the discretionary rule shouldn't have been applied at all, because the circumstances under which it was being applied were unprecedented and as such, will create a problem with precedent going forward, so not here to apologize. I still think there's going to be a problem with that new, lower-bar precedent (they'll now apply the rule for a healthy skater who skates nationals and doesn't make the podium) now in play, but that's another discussion.

Just wanted to mention seeing a post-Olympic wrap-up with Elvis Stojko on Yahoo Sports, where he's asked to name three skaters who will have the most impact on over the next four year Olympic cycle. Elvis's picks: Hanyu, Lipnitskaya, and...Polina!

Medalist
    I assume that Polina is not touring on SOI because she is still in a pubic high school and has just come back from 3 weeks off for the Olympics. If she decided to take another 6 off to tour then she might have to withdrawal and homeschool. However, SOI has 3 California stops and I'm sure she will be a guest skater at those stops. SOI has not confirmed it but I would be really surprised if I'm wrong. At 15 she would also need a chaperone to go with her and maybe her family ( mom most likely, does not want to take the time away from obligations at home). I am happy and a little surprised to see Ryan Bradley on the tour as the only skater that has been out of competition for a few years.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Nagasu, Gold, and Wagner got the SOI spots over Edmunds. That might serve Nagasu better in the long run than going to Olympics, especially as she has already been. Edmunds did a nice job at Olympics. She may not be done growing and developing; whether she will keep all her jumps is just not known at this point. She has good technique though, so she has a decent chance.
    Thanks for the news, Doris, if Mirai made SOI, I will probably go, and I am sure she could use the income (no big multiple sponsors like Gold and Wagner). Having said that, I think Edmunds should have been included as well, unless she turned it down. She is still in high school which is a conflict.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
    I wonder if Edmunds feels cheated out of the bronze medal from being left off the Team Competition in favor of Wagner. I would.
    Absolutely not. I'm sure she was happy to be there and perform as well as she did.

Not to mention, Ashley scored higher in the Team Competition SP than Edmunds did in her individual SP (which would have placed behind Osmond). So, another good decision made there.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast