Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Winners we all agree upon

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    Arakawa, while not a personal favorite of mine, was clearly the best on the evening that it counted.

Her win is definitely not controversial. I also put Sarah Hughes in this category. Not my favorite, but also not a controversial gold medalist.
    Hughes winning the free skate was not controversial at all, but there is a lot of discussion about Slutskaya vs. Kwan for second in the FS, which is what enabled Hughes to win overall.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    Plushenko and Yagudin's 2002 and 2006 wins were zero controversy at least. Although Scott Hamilton might still think that Yagudin was "conceding the long program to Evgeny Plushenko" and Tim Goebbel.
    RE: 2002...the right guy was on top of the podium, but I still believe that Timothy Goebel should have gotten the silver medal.

Banned
    2014:

Pairs- Cant question V&T's win even if much of their scoring was disgusting- +3s for a two footed triple throw, +3s for hands down on a throw, early proof of the whole figure skating competition being fixed by the Russians. Still their win given the performance was unquestioned.

Men- Hanyu's win is pretty much unquestionable I think, and I havent heard anyone complain. 2 mistakes over the 2 programs to 5 for Chan, and arguably better quality technical elements and higher base value. There is only so much you can do for Chan on PCS.

2010:

Dance- Havent heard anyone dispute V&M's win here, even D&W fans.

Ladies- No brainer.

2006:

Pairs- No brainer. Tons of controversy after that, but that isnt the topic.

Men- No brainer, even if the scores were proposterous (like always for a Russian skater).

Dance- N&K's win was pretty much unquestionable. I know some think they were overrated but neither of the D&S teams skated cleanly enough over the event to merit winning, maybe one or both were robbed of a medal, but not gold. B&A also did not turn in a gold medal competition, only their OD was competitive with N&K here.

Ladies- Unquestioned win for Shizuka despite only 5 triples. Slutskaya had a bad fall, 4 triples, but also many shaky landings, lost levels, and a very slow and weak performance. Cohen had basically 4 falls (landed 5 but one with a shaky landing with -GOE and part of a 2 triple sequence with a substracted value so overall comes to more like 4 triples), a fall, a step out, and didnt do a 3rd combination or 3 jump sequence.

Yes Turin amazingly did not have even a single questionable gold medalist, let alone a controversial one. However it was also a fairly blah competition so maybe that shows us what has to happen for every win to be uncontested. Pretty much the competition has to suck for that to happen over 4 disciplines it seems.

2002:

Men- No brainer given how Plushenko skated vs how Yagudin did here.

Dance- Nobody thinks A&P shouldnt have won and had L&A won it (as they nearly did, what a scary thought) it would have been a scandal approaching Sotnikova's win yesterday. Lots of controversy about places 2-5, many think the 5th place finishers were the real silver medalists.

1998:

Pairs- No brainer given the performances, even if the gold performance was kind of blah.

Men- Cant question Kulik's victory.

1992:

Ladies- Despite falling in the LP there cant really be any debate about Kristi's win given everyone elses mistakes, and that Midori put herself in 4th in the short with a fall.

Pairs- Despite that the silver medalists had a cleaner performance, nobody questioned the win of Miskutienok & Dmitriev that I can recall.

Dance- Other than the egotistical Isabelle Duchesnay nobody questioned this result. Not even the crazed French crowd who instead booed the low 5.5 given by the judges from France to the deserved winners.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    Hughes winning the free skate was not controversial at all, but there is a lot of discussion about Slutskaya vs. Kwan for second in the FS, which is what enabled Hughes to win overall.
    Then there are others who think Slutskaya should have won the SP and thus should have won the gold. Then there are others who think Cohen should have medalled over Kwan or/and Slutskaya. Then others who think Suguri should have medalled. Then others who think Hughes should have been way lower than 4th in the short. This is one of the most contentious events ever and definitely no consensus on the rightful winner. Most stomach Hughes's victory though as she was the clear and undisputed winner of the LP, and stood up in the short.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I'm surprised there aren't more people saying the win should have gone to S&K
    I'm surprised you would even expect anyone to think that. V&T would have to have huge falls in the LP for anyone to even consider S&K deserving the gold. V&T with their usual stellar short are going to have and deserve to have a humungous lead on pretty much everyone other than maybe S&S. Their getting +3s for two throws with a two foot landing and hand down were absurd and proof of the whole fixed Russian Olympic skating competition, and their choreography and interpretation scores for that Jesus Superstar program many found ridiculous as well; but not serious enough to allow S&K to deserve to win the LP, let alone by the 10 points or so to pass V&T. Many feel S&K were overmarked due to the whole fixed Russian Olympics anyway, especialy in PCS given their complete lack of maturity and lack of refinement relative to the more seasoned teams; and there are even some who think they should have finished behind S&S and/or P&T in this competition despite their 2 clean programs.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I'm surprised you would even expect anyone to think that. V&T would have to have huge falls in the LP for anyone to even consider S&K deserving the gold. V&T with their usual stellar short are going to have and deserve to have a humungous lead on pretty much everyone other than maybe S&S. Their getting +3s for two throws with a two foot landing and hand down were absurd and proof of the whole fixed Russian Olympic skating competition, and their choreography and interpretation scores for that Jesus Superstar program many found ridiculous as well; but not serious enough to allow S&K to deserve to win the LP, let alone by the 10 points or so to pass V&T. Many feel S&K were overmarked due to the whole fixed Russian Olympics anyway, especialy in PCS given their complete lack of maturity and lack of refinement relative to the more seasoned teams; and there are even some who think they should have finished behind S&S and/or P&T in this competition despite their 2 clean programs.
    That's true that V&T have that cushion over the rest of the field minus maybe S&S, but a lot of people on this board and others don't think that's right. People would never say that the gold medal would have gone to S&K (barring V&T spending most of their programs on their backsides), but I thought some might say it should have. I think I only saw one person say this though, and I can't remember where.

Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    2014 - Really cheering for Yulia, but after she fell switched to Adelina.
    The whole crooked judging hypothesis in a nutshell!

I'm pretty sure there's no one alive who would contests Lysacek's clear as crystal victory in 2010....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I'm pretty sure there's no one alive who would contests Lysacek's clear as crystal victory in 2010....

There's a whole wikipedia page on that controversy lol.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    That's true that V&T have that cushion over the rest of the field minus maybe S&S, but a lot of people on this board and others don't think that's right.
    Umm nobody thinks them having a significant cushion on S&K isnt right. Some have a problem in their cushion over S&S that has suddenly formed to the judges in the last year or so, but nobody disputes V&T on a good day are a whole other level than S&K right now. The idea anyone would think S&K should beat V&T for the overall gold medal just due to a couple tiny errors over the 2 programs is crazy. As long as they had their usual short program, V&T would have to skate a LP like Europeans for anyone to think S&K would deserve to beat them (they still wouldnt most likely, I am talking about people disputing the result).

Yes there are people here who think V&T are overscored (and they certainly are) but firm Russian fed. #2 S&K are almost as overscored too, and if anything there are probably some who think they didnt deserve the silver even with S&S falling twice and P&T struggling with their jumps some. Saying you thought people might think S&K should have won with V&T having an almost clean skate, is like saying you think people would believe Duhamel & Radford (probably on their best day perceived as a similar level of team to S&K by fans, if not to judges) should have beaten V&T had D&R gone clean and V&T been almost clean as well.

1984 - Torvill & Dean
    1998 - Ilia Kulik
    2006 - Shizuka Arakawa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2