Winners we all agree upon

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Let's see if there were any non-controversial Olympic results. Ever.:laugh:
2014-- M-- No, shouldn't have been any winner, they all stunk:laugh:
L-- No, see the rest of the board!
ID-- No, V and M robbed by judging conspiracy
P--Maybe?

2010--M--People have major problems with this one.
L--Some feel Mao was robbed
ID-- I thought both Americans were gypped
P--Maybe?

2006--M--Yes! I think this one was not controversial. Evgeni ruled!
L--Sad results for Sasha and Irina fans, but considered fair
ID--my mother thought B and A were punished for being too sexy, don't know if it's a common opinion.

2002--L--Michelle, No, Irina, No, Sasha, no "Woman Among Girls" Maria should've won. . . Just kidding about the last one, but I liked her!
M--Probably not controversial, but Plushenko was held up when he fell

P-- I won't even go into it. . .

So anyway, it seems like just about every decision has been controversial lately.

Is there anyone we all agree really did win?

Franklin99

Medalist
ID-- I thought both Americans were gypped
P--Maybe?

Nope, Mao made mistakes in the LP, and as much as I love her skating, it was in no comparison to Yuna's LP. But alot of ppl did think Mao was robbed in the SP. If she would skated after Yuna, I gurantee you her score would have been 75+ instead of 73+. I think that's where she got robbed. She wasn't going to beat Yuna, but she deserved a better score for her clean SP with a 3a combo.

moviechick

On the Ice
I think 2006 is the only Olympics in recent memory (granted I'm not old) where every event seemed to go smoothly without any huge controversy? Of course given the splatfests in men and ladies, it wasn't exactly difficult to determine a winner cause basically the one person who didn't fall.

The "clearest" results to me:

2010 - Yuna Kim
2006 - Plushenko
2002 - Yagudin
1998 - Kulik

desertskates

Medalist
I'm going to choose my wins in a different way if that's okay.
Men---Jason B. is an attitude win!
Ladies---the 3 lovely USA girls that landed in the top 10.
Pairs---V/T. Wonderful.
Dance---Meryl & Charlie, fantastic!
Random win goes to Ondrej Hotarek for getting himself some yellow-er pants than Trankov :)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
My biggest issue in 2010 was the Ladies' bronze, which I thought should have gone to Mirai.

Edit....

....but the OP's question was: are there any results we can agree on? Sheesh, that's tough. Digging deep in the memory bank for that one, all the way back to the '88 pairs in Calgary -- G&G simply blew everyone else out of the water. Also agree re: Yagudin in 2002.

Manitou

Medalist
Say I will start with what I remember:

1976 - As a teen I had crush on Dorothy. Hell yeah!
1980 - Glad it was Potzsch because I couldn't stand Errath. But Linda Fratianne was really good looking.
1984 - Witt - hell yeah!
1988 - Nooo! I was cheering for Thomas! Couldn't stand Witt.
1992 - Didn't care about Yamaguchi, but Mishkutenok/Dmitriev - my all time favorites. Natalia - the perfect beauty!
1994 - Baiul - hell yeah! Great story and great result. Too bad it was downhill for Oksana since then. Couldn't stand Kerrigan. Cheering for Chouinard.
It was actually great Olympics for skating. Stoiko was my favorite, Urmanov was a joke. Cheering for Brasseur/Eisler.
1998 - Tara - hell yeah! Couldn't stand Kwan. Tara's win was the best thing that Olympics.
2002 - Yagudin - my hero. For me the best single male skater ever. Was happy for Sarah then, but now I would go for Irina. And still couldn't stand Kwan.
2006 - Who the hell was that Arakawa or whatever? Irina deserved it! Couldn't stand Plushenko.
2010 - Yuna - hell yeah! Tessa/Scott - hell yeah! Lysacek - hell yeah! Didn't care about the Chinese in pairs. So the whole Olympics - hell yeah!
2014 - Really cheering for Yulia, but after she fell switched to Adelina. So hell yeah! Meryl/Charlie - hell yeah! And didn't care about anybody else.

Juliasochi

Match Penalty
Say I will start with what I remember:

1976 - As a teen I had crush on Dorothy. Hell yeah!
1980 - Glad it was Potzsch because I couldn't stand Errath. But Linda Fratianne was really good looking.
1984 - Witt - hell yeah!
1988 - Nooo! I was cheering for Thomas! Couldn't stand Witt.
1992 - Didn't care about Yamaguchi, but Mishkutenok/Dmitriev - my all time favorites. Natalia - the perfect beauty!
1994 - Baiul - hell yeah! Great story and great result. Too bad it was downhill for Oksana since then. Couldn't stand Kerrigan. Cheering for Chouinard.
It was actually great Olympics for skating. Stoiko was my favorite, Urmanov was a joke. Cheering for Brasseur/Eisler.
1998 - Tara - hell yeah! Couldn't stand Kwan. Tara's win was the best thing that Olympics.
2002 - Yagudin - my hero. For me the best single male skater ever. Was happy for Sarah then, but now I would go for Irina. And still couldn't stand Kwan.
2006 - Who the hell was that Arakawa or whatever? Irina deserved it! Couldn't stand Plushenko.
2010 - Yuna - hell yeah! Tessa/Scott - hell yeah! Lysacek - hell yeah! Didn't care about the Chinese in pairs. So the whole Olympics - hell yeah!
2014 - Really cheering for Yulia, but after she fell switched to Adelina. So hell yeah! Meryl/Charlie - hell yeah! And didn't care about anybody else.
Reading comprehension is a challenge, I guess. This thread is asking the winners everyone agreed on. You gave us this

Really cheering for Yulia, but after she fell switched to Adelina. So hell yeah! Meryl/Charlie - hell yeah! And didn't care about anybody else.

By your own admission, you are not very young. But the style of your commentary... Even those mindless teen girls could do better. Unbelievable.LOL.

Manitou

Medalist
Reading comprehension is a challenge, I guess. This thread is asking the winners everyone agreed on. You gave us this

Really cheering for Yulia, but after she fell switched to Adelina. So hell yeah! Meryl/Charlie - hell yeah! And didn't care about anybody else.

By your own admission, you are not very young. But the style of your commentary... Even those mindless teen girls could do better. Unbelievable.LOL.

Sorry to offend your sensitivity! :laugh:

CarneAsada

Medalist
Let's see if there were any non-controversial Olympic results. Ever.:laugh:
2014--
ID-- No, V and M robbed by judging conspiracy
P--Maybe?

P--Maybe?

So anyway, it seems like just about every decision has been controversial lately.

Is there anyone we all agree really did win?
2014 ID and P were pretty non-controversial. Didn't D/W triumph merely thanks to better technical elements? And V/T were grossly overscored but no one would've beaten them anyway.
2010 Men obvious. For Ladies, Mao wasn't really robbed as such, but the scoring system really favored Yuna's great execution of easier elements. Under 6.0 I think Mao could've won the SP. Mao's 3A back then was undervalued, especially when in combination. It's mostly moot though due to her 3 jump combo and the singled 3T. Pairs I don't know, but maybe pangtongfan thinks Pang and Tong should have gotten gold? :biggrin:

Plushenko and Yagudin's 2002 and 2006 wins were zero controversy at least. Although Scott Hamilton might still think that Yagudin was "conceding the long program to Evgeny Plushenko" and Tim Goebbel. :confused:

moviechick

On the Ice
Plushenko and Yagudin's 2002 and 2006 wins were zero controversy at least. Although Scott Hamilton might still think that Yagudin was "conceding the long program to Evgeny Plushenko" and Tim Goebbel. :confused:

Scott went a little crazy that year obviously. I think he was focusing a little too much on the techs and was clearly blown away by Plushenko's 3A-3F combo. Maybe in CoP, Yagudin would've lost the LP but obviously in 6.0 a clean Yagudin was going to get the higher presentation scores no matter how many quads and crazy combos other people did.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
2014 ID and P were pretty non-controversial. ...

Not everyone agrees on the 2014 ID outcome. (And not b/c of the article raising the possibility of corrupt judging.)

Not trying to stir up the pot ... not trying to re-hash anything. Just disagree with CarneAsada's one sentence.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think the pairs was pretty non-controversial in 2014. Most people agree V&T should have won, although some aren't impressed with the program they delivered to win it. S&S made that decision very easy for the judges by skating quite poorly. I'm surprised there aren't more people saying the win should have gone to S&K, but they kind of came out of nowhere to take 2nd, and haven't even been to worlds, so I guess no one would expect them to take the gold (and some didn't even expect them to medal, either). All the other disciplines, of course, had controversy this year. The men less than the dance and especially the ladies, but there are still some people saying Chan should have won and some saying neither Chan nor Hanyu deserved it lol.

Most agreed-upon wins for me in the past are T&M and Plushenko in 2006 (the ladies' competition is a bit foggy in my mind, so I'm not sure about Arakawa), Yagudin in 2002, Kulik in 1998 (probably wouldn't have been so agreed-upon had Elvis done a quad), M&D in 1992, and.. I can't remember back any further than that. That's not to say there wasn't controversy over some of the other podium placements though.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Arakawa, while not a personal favorite of mine, was clearly the best on the evening that it counted.

Her win is definitely not controversial. I also put Sarah Hughes in this category. Not my favorite, but also not a controversial gold medalist.

moviechick

On the Ice
Arakawa, while not a personal favorite of mine, was clearly the best on the evening that it counted.

Her win is definitely not controversial. I also put Sarah Hughes in this category. Not my favorite, but also not a controversial gold medalist.

Hughes winning the free skate was not controversial at all, but there is a lot of discussion about Slutskaya vs. Kwan for second in the FS, which is what enabled Hughes to win overall.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States

RE: 2002...the right guy was on top of the podium, but I still believe that Timothy Goebel should have gotten the silver medal.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
2014:

Pairs- Cant question V&T's win even if much of their scoring was disgusting- +3s for a two footed triple throw, +3s for hands down on a throw, early proof of the whole figure skating competition being fixed by the Russians. Still their win given the performance was unquestioned.

Men- Hanyu's win is pretty much unquestionable I think, and I havent heard anyone complain. 2 mistakes over the 2 programs to 5 for Chan, and arguably better quality technical elements and higher base value. There is only so much you can do for Chan on PCS.

2010:

Dance- Havent heard anyone dispute V&M's win here, even D&W fans.

Ladies- No brainer.

2006:

Pairs- No brainer. Tons of controversy after that, but that isnt the topic.

Men- No brainer, even if the scores were proposterous (like always for a Russian skater).

Dance- N&K's win was pretty much unquestionable. I know some think they were overrated but neither of the D&S teams skated cleanly enough over the event to merit winning, maybe one or both were robbed of a medal, but not gold. B&A also did not turn in a gold medal competition, only their OD was competitive with N&K here.

Ladies- Unquestioned win for Shizuka despite only 5 triples. Slutskaya had a bad fall, 4 triples, but also many shaky landings, lost levels, and a very slow and weak performance. Cohen had basically 4 falls (landed 5 but one with a shaky landing with -GOE and part of a 2 triple sequence with a substracted value so overall comes to more like 4 triples), a fall, a step out, and didnt do a 3rd combination or 3 jump sequence.

Yes Turin amazingly did not have even a single questionable gold medalist, let alone a controversial one. However it was also a fairly blah competition so maybe that shows us what has to happen for every win to be uncontested. Pretty much the competition has to suck for that to happen over 4 disciplines it seems.

2002:

Men- No brainer given how Plushenko skated vs how Yagudin did here.

Dance- Nobody thinks A&P shouldnt have won and had L&A won it (as they nearly did, what a scary thought) it would have been a scandal approaching Sotnikova's win yesterday. Lots of controversy about places 2-5, many think the 5th place finishers were the real silver medalists.

1998:

Pairs- No brainer given the performances, even if the gold performance was kind of blah.

Men- Cant question Kulik's victory.

1992:

Ladies- Despite falling in the LP there cant really be any debate about Kristi's win given everyone elses mistakes, and that Midori put herself in 4th in the short with a fall.

Pairs- Despite that the silver medalists had a cleaner performance, nobody questioned the win of Miskutienok & Dmitriev that I can recall.

Dance- Other than the egotistical Isabelle Duchesnay nobody questioned this result. Not even the crazed French crowd who instead booed the low 5.5 given by the judges from France to the deserved winners.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Hughes winning the free skate was not controversial at all, but there is a lot of discussion about Slutskaya vs. Kwan for second in the FS, which is what enabled Hughes to win overall.

Then there are others who think Slutskaya should have won the SP and thus should have won the gold. Then there are others who think Cohen should have medalled over Kwan or/and Slutskaya. Then others who think Suguri should have medalled. Then others who think Hughes should have been way lower than 4th in the short. This is one of the most contentious events ever and definitely no consensus on the rightful winner. Most stomach Hughes's victory though as she was the clear and undisputed winner of the LP, and stood up in the short.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I'm surprised there aren't more people saying the win should have gone to S&K

I'm surprised you would even expect anyone to think that. V&T would have to have huge falls in the LP for anyone to even consider S&K deserving the gold. V&T with their usual stellar short are going to have and deserve to have a humungous lead on pretty much everyone other than maybe S&S. Their getting +3s for two throws with a two foot landing and hand down were absurd and proof of the whole fixed Russian Olympic skating competition, and their choreography and interpretation scores for that Jesus Superstar program many found ridiculous as well; but not serious enough to allow S&K to deserve to win the LP, let alone by the 10 points or so to pass V&T. Many feel S&K were overmarked due to the whole fixed Russian Olympics anyway, especialy in PCS given their complete lack of maturity and lack of refinement relative to the more seasoned teams; and there are even some who think they should have finished behind S&S and/or P&T in this competition despite their 2 clean programs.