Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian Audiences

Russian Audiences

Have you noticed how biased the audience has been during the team competition? Yes, it is in Russia but even when a skater from a different country excels in his performance, they are very muted. Compare that with American or Canadian crowds who really cheer when they witness great skating regardless of country. I think it has to do with the innate Russian sense of insecurity.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sgsmozart View Post
    Have you noticed how biased the audience has been during the team competition? Yes, it is in Russia but even when a skater from a different country excels in his performance, they are very muted. Compare that with American or Canadian crowds who really cheer when they witness great skating regardless of country. I think it has to do with the innate Russian sense of insecurity.
    no, this thread is a sense of insecurity
    another troll account that should be rmeoved

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    I hope it'll be a bit fairer in the individuals. The team competition is new and so they were cheering for the home team. That's ok. I kind of think though that it is influencing the judging a bit too much, but I hope I'll be proven wrong in the individuals. I wouldn't exactly call American and Canadian Crowds much fairer, like I wrote, the team competition is new, so we wouldn't know.

Custom Title
    One thing I do like - and I'm not sure I've ever seen this before in a competition setting - is how they sometimes applaud right after the music starts, seemingly in appreciation of the music choice. They did this for (I think) I/K with Swan Lake, Kostner with Ave Maria, at least and one other one (I think another Russian competitor), and I even thought I might have heard more faint rumblings of this with a few other skaters, though I might have just imagined those. Anyway, I thought that was nice, and they did do it for at least one non-Russian, FWIW.

I wonder if they'll still do it when it gets to the 6th or 7th Swan Lake program over the course of the games? ;-)

Custom Title
    Could anyone confirm if the throwing tissue to the ice is true or not? I'm a bit worry about it.

Custom Title
    I think it would be a great gesture if Putin himself led the applause for non-Russian skaters a bit more. It would convey the idea that part of Russia's job at this Olympics is to be a gracious host to the world.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sgsmozart View Post
    Right! Because American public is not bias. Because Japanese public is not bias. Because Italian public is not bias!
    I love Russian public. Great support, great crowds and great spirit. This is what it should be. To me it's absolutely fantastic. In contrast to several snotty snobs on this forum.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I think it would be a great gesture if Putin himself led the applause for non-Russian skaters a bit more. It would convey the idea that part of Russia's job at this Olympics is to be a gracious host to the world.
    And another pig flies by.

You'd be likelier to have seen Hitler have the crowd cheer on Jesse Owens.

Home ice cheers are to be expected, though. It's immensely louder than the cheers for other skaters, and notably distracting as followup skaters take the ice. That being said, the Russians have also delivered pretty solid performances, which lead to those cheers.

All Russian skaters say the support was very helpful. From this point of view the audience was absolutely right. If you don't like this, buy ticket and go to Sochi and support your favorite athletes.

Custom Title
    I thought the audience was supportive of the skaters. They cheered madly for their own skaters but that's natural

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by amateur View Post
    One thing I do like - and I'm not sure I've ever seen this before in a competition setting - is how they sometimes applaud right after the music starts, seemingly in appreciation of the music choice. They did this for (I think) I/K with Swan Lake, Kostner with Ave Maria, at least and one other one (I think another Russian competitor), and I even thought I might have heard more faint rumblings of this with a few other skaters, though I might have just imagined those. Anyway, I thought that was nice, and they did do it for at least one non-Russian, FWIW.

I wonder if they'll still do it when it gets to the 6th or 7th Swan Lake program over the course of the games? ;-)
    Kostner and Yuzuru Hanyu are non Russian favorites

Virtue/Moir, Chan... not so much

Custom Title
    As I already menioned that in another topic, it was VERY strange.
    Usually figure skating audience is supportive with all the competitors when they are professional and know how difficult to land even a double jump.
    It was the case in Budapest European and most of the big figure skating event.
    Asian audiences can wave French, Canadian or Russian flags all over the World cheering with enthusiasm.

This atmosphere -sadly- was TOTALLY missed in the team event.

Or the audience was only Russian or very occasional outsiders. Or both.

Olympic spirit? ?? sic!

Custom Title
    Kostner and Yuzuru Hanyu are non Russian favorites

Virtue/Moir, Chan... not so much
    I remember V/M's Carmen being very well received at COR (in Moscow?) last season. Maybe that program could have helped them here with the audience connection.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
    As I already menioned that in another topic, it was VERY strange.
    Usually figure skating audience is supportive with all the competitors when they are professional and know how difficult to land even a double jump.
    It was the case in Budapest European and most of the big figure skating event.
    Asian audiences can wave French, Canadian or Russian flags all over the World cheering with enthusiasm.

This atmosphere -sadly- was TOTALLY missed in the team event.

Or the audience was only Russian or very occasional outsiders. Or both.

Olympic spirit? ?? sic!
    92% tickets sold have been for Russians
    but nothing wrong with that, the more national support, the better it is their Olympics held event after all

Chan isn't liked obviously because many think he is a threat to Plushenko
    Yuzuru Hanyu is well received in Russia, also Carolina Kostner is the favorite non Russian among most Russians
    V/M have some sort of coldness for some reason that is not much appreciated

overall they will cheer for everone
    but watch Carolina and Yuzuru if they deliver in individuals they will also get loud cheers and response

Custom Title
    I was at both the Worlds in 2001 in Vancouver & the Worlds in 2003 in Washington.
    The US crowd were awful to most non-North American skaters.
    The crowd reaction in 2003 to Elena Sokolova made me cringe.
    Also to many of the Ice Dancers. Silence for many.
    So I think it's a bit rich to be on Russian skating fan's backs because they want to cheer their own skaters.
    Let's face it people are looking for a stick to beat Russia with on these boards.
    Russia have the Olympics & they are supporting their own skaters. It happens at every Olympics.
    Get over it.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast