Lipnitskaia's coach blames Russian media for skater's disappointing singles performance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaia's coach blames Russian media for skater's disappointing singles performance

Amei

Record Breaker
I translated a Russian article that said reporters were telling her they tracked down her dad who she had never met like one night before she returned to Sochi for the individual event. Her friggin dad left before she was born!

An article I read said that state officials were ordered to locate her father. That has to be incredibly hard, considering if he did come around her she would (most likely) always have it in the back of her mind that he only decided to be around her to get her money and fame and not her.

Article here:http://www.christiantoday.com/article/yulia.lipnitskaya.father.mother.raised.teen.prodigy.alone.support.daughters.figure.skating.career/35903.htm

caelum

On the Ice
That's gross. I think Yulia has nerves of steel, similar to Yuna, but there is only so much anyone can take - especially at 15. Bugging, stalking, "evacuation" … if probably turned her into a nervous wreck. People come up with all sorts of mental strategies to deal with nervousness and anxiety. She was prepared to deal with the anxiety of competing, as evidenced by her record of consistency and her team event performance, but she wasn't prepared to deal with the rapid media onslaught. I think she'll adjust to the media pressure. At least I hope so because I personally find a lot to like in Lipnitskaya's skating and I think she'll eventually grow to earn her scores, and hopefully much more.

volk

Final Flight
How about some compassion for skaters who were robbed of medals and higher placements because of the corrupt judging? Julia is a beneficiary of this scandal, not a victim.

Stop spreading nonsense. Julia deserved team gold and didn't medal in individual event.

Juliasochi

Match Penalty
Stop spreading nonsense. Julia deserved team gold and didn't medal in individual event.

Her undeserved placement in individual event robbed several skaters below her from achieving higher rankings. This is just fact.

ingofan1

Rinkside
Julia benefited from that media hype. She went from getting 7 and 8 to 9 and 10's her spins are fast though her jumps are tiny and she never she called for flutes.She got positive GOE on her Axel and higher GOE than Gracie in what world are here jumps are better than Gracie.All b/c all that media hype.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Golden Skate Forum just got a lot better!!! Should I now remove the poster who got banned from my ignore list? :bow: GS MODS:points:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
this wasnt meant to be she was tired and local media were hogging even in her practice time
anyways she will come stronger after this and develop artistically more

Barb

Record Breaker
The fault is of her coach. Really she did not know that Julia would be getting all the atention?, ridiculous, almost two weeks between team And individual event, enough time in the peak of the olympics for Julia getting all the atention not only from Russia but all world. Julia is only 15 years old, the outcome was sooooooo obvious, so I blame to her coach, she could to say Julia skated only sp or lp or nothing in the team event.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The fault is of her coach. Really she did not know that Julia would be getting all the atention?, ridiculous, almost two weeks between team And individual event, enough time in the peak of the olympics for Julia getting all the atention not only from Russia but all world. Julia is only 15 years old, the outcome was sooooooo obvious, so I blame to her coach, she could to say Julia skated only sp or lp or nothing in the team event.

I agree to some extent with you. I think most people thought Yulia was unfazable if you will, and Eteri must have been in the same boat. Yulia's mom was quoted saying before the olympics she had never seen her cry before and that she was like a bear they were teaching to dance on ice. The good/worst thing of this whole thing is Yulia may have lost a big part of her identity as a skater. Her mental fortitude was shaken and even her haters admired that in her. I say good/worst because while it's bad for her to lose her identity it may be in her best interest to redifine herself and skate a more refined skate and get those SS down and forcus on those edges. I for one am hoping she comes back stronger than ever but that has always kind of been her thing. :popcorn:

ginal

Rinkside
First of all, the media seems to be crap in every country, something the US and russia can commiserate over together. Second, considering how much Yuna and Mao have dealt with their profile in their respective countries, this only makes me even more in awe of Yuna at least (sorry Mao), because she carried the weight of her entire (rabid) nation. Talk about performing under pressure, not once, but TWICE! The reason Yuna didn't win was not because she didn't deliver, she delivered both times. Nerves of steel. Yes, Yulia is young and clearly the pressure got to her, but has she skated clean other than at the olympics team event? Did she skate clean in russian nationals? I have no idea. So I am not sure if it's just the media in Yulia's case.

hurrah

Medalist
Sure, mass media is a nightmare, but bugging is a crime!! The Russian media is... as bad as the US Federal government, actually. :laugh:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Adelina is 17 and over the moon for winning. In the end I think it didn't matter who won, Julia or Adelina, they wanted that gold. It was really smart to focus the attention on Julia, whose coach is now critizising their media. I think Julia should be very glad, she has a Gold medal, and it was her performances that helped to secure it! Now the individual event reminds me a bit of CoR and it seems like she lost her cool. Cue in Adelina who has a history of faulty skates under pressure. She is on nobodys radar (aside from those who follow fs, of course) and there are no headlines about her. She goes in with no pressure at all and wins it. Russia played that one really smart. It didn't matter to them who won. Just that she was Russian. (I'm almost sure Plushenko would've won, too, if he had skated) I just hope that they realize that they might've really hurt Julia in the progress. But...nah, I don't think they care at all and she also has her gold.

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
Lame excuse. Lipnitskaia's only 15: she still can do better in Pyong-chang with an adequate mind set and a nourish palmarès (if she survives the growing pains, of course).

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
The blame is on the judges not the media: they could have given her 80 in short; they could have seen the fall as part of chero, expressing tragic move, and thus given her a row of +3 with 40 in PCS. they could have given her 160 in free. Just leave the poor media out.

Manitou

Medalist
Watched her the Olympic Gala. She is incredible! The Russian media crushed her at the Olympics but she will recover stronger than she was before.