Lipnitskaia's coach blames Russian media for skater's disappointing singles performance | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaia's coach blames Russian media for skater's disappointing singles performance

Ambivalent

On the Ice
Poor Julia. She didn't deserve all this scrutiny.

It makes Adelina's skating even more amazing :clap: even if I disagree with her being first.

jkun

Final Flight
Poor Julia. She didn't deserve all this scrutiny.

It makes Adelina's skating even more amazing :clap: even if I disagree with her being first.

How does it make Adelina's skating more amazing.. You mean as in Julia took pressure off Adelina? It makes me respect yuna and Mao even more . The media overwhelms their lives all the time.

CarneAsada

Medalist
That's a real pity. I wonder what Adelina thinks of this. She said she was so angry to not be chosen for the team event, but maybe she's secretly grateful; she slipped in as an afterthought while Lipnitskaya was given 4:1 odds to win, and she had the best of both worlds. She had the Russian audience support and no expectations, and she nailed both her programs. She didn't even get a day's rest so the media could hound her. Great scheduling in hindsight. :biggrin:

Ambivalent

On the Ice
How does it make Adelina's skating more amazing.. You mean as in Julia took pressure off Adelina? It makes me respect yuna and Mao even more . The media overwhelms their lives all the time.

I am a Kim-uber and thought Kim or Kostner deserved to win, but Adelina did skate great too. Adelina must have been under a fair amount of pressure as well, so to deliver like she did in front of a home crowd - yes, even with the undeserved inflation - was great. Good for her, she didn't judge herself.

bekalc

Record Breaker

Those two have had years to get use to it. Yulia had 10 days.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I feel so bad for her. She's learning some harsh life lessons at a very young age.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You guys need to stop quoting the one who started their account right after the Ladies SP and began insulting every skater and their fans with exception to one. I blocked this person but your quoting of them keeps their mean spirited comments visible!

Thank you mods?? All of the nastiness has disappeared like the matrix or something!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Her coach sounds like a great mama bear type. Julia has a great head on her shoulders to allow herself to take the blame squarely on her shoulders. I hope she comes away from all of this stronger and can become the star she seems destined to be. She's got the fighter spirit that is missing from so much of ladies' figure skating. She's got great packaging.

I wasn't a fan of hers until the Olympics. She really impressed me. So bummed her individual event didn't happen the way she'd hoped.

Still as much scrutiny as she's most likely getting, I haven't seen her vilified like the rest of the world's media has vilified Adelina. Even *if* there was a huge conspiracy to keep Kim from winning, Adelina was just another pawn and played no part in the "deal".

Juliasochi

Match Penalty
Her coach sounds like a great mama bear type. Julia has a great head on her shoulders to allow herself to take the blame squarely on her shoulders. I hope she comes away from all of this stronger and can become the star she seems destined to be.

How is she destined to be a star? Ask Caroline zhang. The same ugly tiny jumps?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I translated a Russian article that said reporters were telling her they tracked down her dad who she had never met like one night before she returned to Sochi for the individual event. Her friggin dad left before she was born!

On a positive note one of her idols is Carolina Kostner and there are quite a few pics of those two hanging out..hugging..and laughing together.

MiRé

Match Penalty
why blame the media...blame the judges who gave her pressure by giving ridiculous scores.

usethis2

Medalist
If anything the media helped her boosting the momentum. Had she stayed on her feet, she would have been on podium. Just look at the freaking score (200+!!??!!??!!??) she received after the disastrous and flawed two programs. If anything she should thank the media and her federation because there is no way she would receive that score and get ranked at 5th. More like 15th is appropriate.

I want to go back and read the pre-event posts here just for fun to see who was promoting Yulia as a gold contender against Kim. Shameless folks.

chloepoco

Medalist
why blame the media...blame the judges who gave her pressure by giving ridiculous scores.

This is getting really old already. How about some compassion for a 15-year old who undeservedly has been stalked by the media.

Juliasochi

Match Penalty
This is getting really old already. How about some compassion for a 15-year old who undeservedly has been stalked by the media.

How about some compassion for skaters who were robbed of medals and higher placements because of the corrupt judging? Julia is a beneficiary of this scandal, not a victim.

Amei

Record Breaker
Her coach sounds like a great mama bear type. Julia has a great head on her shoulders to allow herself to take the blame squarely on her shoulders. I hope she comes away from all of this stronger and can become the star she seems destined to be. She's got the fighter spirit that is missing from so much of ladies' figure skating. She's got great packaging.

Agree, she is a very impressive young skater and her coach seems very protective of her- she seems to understand how hard Julia is on herself, she was giving her a lot of pep-talking in the kiss& cry.

Still as much scrutiny as she's most likely getting, I haven't seen her vilified like the rest of the world's media has vilified Adelina.

While a lot of people on this board seem to believe her scores were inflated there is not really any disagreement that she didn't win and her medal is not really disputed. even though some think the Russians were overscored there isn't a lot of dispute that they won the team event.

MiRé

Match Penalty

Please, the subject of this matter was Lipnitskaia's Coach, not Yulia herself. Therefore, my comment refers to the coachs, not Yulia.

usethis2

Medalist
To the extent media obsessed with her age (15) and her pose (leg spread), I'd agree. I thought that sensationalism was gross. And it gave me an opportunity to learn something about a few people around me, whose eyes were fixated at her crotch.