Say Something Nice- Olympic Style | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Say Something Nice- Olympic Style

Mao's long program--beauty and fire all in one.
YuNa's short and long programs.
Carolina's smooth, commanding programs. So satisfying that she was able to banish her demons.
Getting to see Akiko skate at the Olympics.
Daisuke's programs. Smooth as silk, and heartfelt--by both Daisuke and his fans.
The ice dancing, especially Davis/White and Virtue/Moir--both short program and free dance.
The gutsy long program by Aliona and Robin.
Volososhar and Trankov's short program especially. Perfectly skated, and thrillingly performed.
Hanyu's short program.
The enjoyment projected by so many first-time Olympians as they skated.
The skating of the ladies' top three. Leaving opinions aside, all three of them rose to the occasion beautifully.
Our American ladies' great skates, Jeremy's individual short and long programs, and Jason's Reel Round the Sun.
Plushy's quad-triple in the team short program.

Costumes, especially Adelina's smoky-gray free skate dress, Meryl's lavender free dance dress, and Tessa's outfits in both individual and team competitions (that gorgeous dark crimson bodice for her free dance in the team competition made her look like a Queen of Narnia).

More to praise than to complain about!

tectonicplate

Spectator
Michael Christian Martinez becoming the first skater from Philippines to compete at the Olympics. The media coverage and support in his home country was amazing. If he has continued success, I could see him bringing awareness and popularity to skating to a new market just like how Yuna did for Korea.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_9gmdzftcYs
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sMrSqzeHhpU
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=33tyIIjH1N
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iegrnxoiwEg

I wish I could give him the $$$ hes needs for his training. He has everything to become a star.

THIS. I'm amazed how he was able to train at all in a mall skating rink (before he went to train in California in 2010): the mall skating rinks here are way too small and crowded. I'm glad he made the headlines and made a huge impression locally—my friend was talking about how someone (probably one of the local tycoons) approached him about funding his training for the next four years (preparation for Pyeongchang).

The standout performance for me was Mao's LP. That's what you call a coup!

noskates

Record Breaker
Jason's excitement and how he managed to get as much in as possible during the Olympics. Charlie and Meryl in everything from the team competition to the gold medal to the exhibition was superb. They conducted themselves in a sportsmanlike manner and did the USA proud.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Michael Christian Martinez becoming the first skater from Philippines to compete at the Olympics. The media coverage and support in his home country was amazing. If he has continued success, I could see him bringing awareness and popularity to skating to a new market just like how Yuna did for Korea.

I wish I could give him the $$$ hes needs for his training. He has everything to become a star.

I loved him also!!!

I also forgot Mae Bernice Meite in my original post... she is really developing as a skater, I am happy she landed in the top 10!

HazyD

Rinkside
Mao, Mao, Mao! One the most moving things I've ever seen!

Terry Gannon accessorizing with Johnny and Tara on the last day of competition ("it's the end of days").

Scott Moir's little jumping twirl after finishing the short dance.

Maia Shibutani's short dance dress! Akiko's free skate dress!

The team competition.

lovegoodxo

Rinkside
Tessa and Scott's moment after the short dance.

Mao's long programme, I've never been a fan of hers, but after that I admired her fire and determination more than that of any other skater, and she moved me to tears, amazing Olympic moment!

emma

Record Breaker
I agree with some many of the examples already given! I definitely hope Michael Martinez gets some support so he can train properly!

Also, some of those exhibition programs were really amazing - can't help but imagine what some of those would look converted to competitive programs!

ElGrecoTaco

Spectator
The expression on Asada's face after her LP. Triumph over adversity!

The overall quality of the Ladies singles - esp the top 3. Really, any of them could have taken the OGM fairly. (ducks)

Sotnikova's unique catch-foot spin position

Dai's FS! In a class of his own.

The beauty that is watching V/M skate.

peg

Medalist
I was thrilled to see Carolina finally skate well and get her Olympic medal. I haven't been a fan of hers in the past, but at these Olympics she really impressed me.

Sotnikova for handling the pressure and have the skate of her life followed by another skate of her life the next night. Kudos to her for that.

Yuna for her timeless grace and elegance that makes the hardest jumps look like they just float.

Hanyu's flawless short program.

Kevin Reynolds nearly beating the mighty Plushenko in the team LP

V/M and D/W both skating two flawless programs

I loved how thrilled Nicole Rajicova after her SP skate even though she was nowhere near the top. She skated to her potential at the Olympics, and that's what mattered most.

Gracie Gold also really impressed me. She is a completely different skater to a year ago - even to mere months ago. I didn't used to care for her skating in between her jumps, but boy has she ever matured! I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone make such incredible strides in less than one season.

phaeljones

On the Ice
I agree with so many of the above comments of all the posts above so I will try to add to them.

Seeing Han Yan execute so artfully one of the most beautiful, and definitely the longest-travelled, triple axels in his fs AND his short.

At the gala, seeing Patrick actually looking happy, without the weight of the world on his shoulders, and skating, as only he can skate it, one of the most beautiful exhibition skates ever (Steppin' Out). Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

vinganca

Rinkside
Jeremy Abbot getting up and racing through his short program and skating brilliantly after falling was awesome! haha i was seriously standing up and cheering in our living room.

Davis/White = my favorite part of the games by far; I am truly inspired by them. And they seem like very genuine people.

technically this didn't happen at the Olympics, but I have to say Charlie White plays the violin really well, especially after not practicing for three years! This was adorable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej7ztY6_pTg

Pechalat/Bourzat and their Le Petit Prince free dance. the beautiful costumes! the whimsical music! everything about their program was light and fun and i love that. it also made them stand out in a good way, while most other pairs were going for drama, they went exactly the opposite and their FD was one of my all-time favorite programs.