Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What does the male partner wear under his clothing to protect his body ?

Rinkside

What does the male partner wear under his clothing to protect his body ?

When the female partner in pairs or ice dance stands on the male partner for elaborate lifts, HOW is the man protected from being cut by her skate blade? I have never heard the TV commentators talk about this and am curious. Thanks.

A bro bra? I couldn't resist as John Coughlin referred to that once in a tweet....

Custom Title
    For both Scott and Charlie in 2010 for their free dance lifts, commentators mentioned that they just withstood the pain because they preferred it to having something there covering them.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barnkeeper View Post
    When the female partner in pairs or ice dance stands on the male partner for elaborate lifts, HOW is the man protected from being cut by her skate blade? I have never heard the TV commentators talk about this and am curious. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
    For both Scott and Charlie in 2010 for their free dance lifts, commentators mentioned that they just withstood the pain because they preferred it to having something there covering them.
    Also going back to 2010 and Virtue/Moir's goose lift, Scott said that Tessa knew exactly where to place her blade and how to balance her weight so that she would not cut him. [ETA: Without any padding, as barnkeeper already said.]

Scott added that because of Tessa's precision, he did not even have a bruise there. He made a joke in a Vancouver press conference along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing), "I'd be happy to show you my thigh so you could see [the absence of a bruise], but I don't think that would be appropriate."

the padding is similar to a shoulder pad (worn way too often in the 80s and early 90s in women's apparel) is how I remember it being explained a few years ago.

Custom Title
    Something like modesty patches.. I suppose?

nothing, only thier bruises

Custom Title
    This has been a question of mine for a while, and it's stunning to me that you can place the blade that precisely without cutting, just in general, but then specifically in the 'heat' of the moment of a competition. Well, this goes on my long list of all things utterly stunning (athletically/sports-wise) about dance.

Custom Title
    Has any of the male ice dancers ever suffered a blade cut as a result of such moves?

Medalist
    Figure skating boots seem to protect a skater's foot when his partner stands on it. Why not use boot leather under the costume as well?

Edit: A possible answer for my own question - Boots are tightly laced and not likely to slide, but boot leather under the costume is much more likely to slide.

As long as the blade stays stationary and does not move/slice forward & backwards, then it will not cut through the material nor the skin.

Next time you cook a roast, take a (non-serrated) knife and place it on the roast. Apply as much pressure as you can straight down (e.g. no back & forth); you are unlikely to cut or cause any damage to the roast.

it must hurt

Custom Title
    But how does the blade stays COMPLETELY still when the woman basically takes a step up on the man's thigh? Figure skating blades are not completely flat on the bottom. It's like an inverted-U with a shallow concave in the middle. The edges would dig into the surface when you put pressure on the blade.

Rinkside
    I recall reading somewhere that Nikita wears special padding during practices, but not during competitions.
    Here's a practice video (at 1:33 you can see Nikita taking off something, I believe that is the padding)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeYO_LpDrVs

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sowcow View Post
    As long as the blade stays stationary and does not move/slice forward & backwards, then it will not cut through the material nor the skin.

Next time you cook a roast, take a (non-serrated) knife and place it on the roast. Apply as much pressure as you can straight down (e.g. no back & forth); you are unlikely to cut or cause any damage to the roast.
    Fantastic analogy-this I can visualize without even bothering to verify.

Quote Originally Posted by rollerblade View Post
    But how does the blade stays COMPLETELY still when the woman basically takes a step up on the man's thigh? Figure skating blades are not completely flat on the bottom. It's like an inverted-U with a shallow concave in the middle. The edges would dig into the surface when you put pressure on the blade.
    Right, but this is what gets me saying, but how??? In practice sure, but when the nerves of competition come, how do they achieve such precision? It impresses me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast