Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sotnikova's win: what does it mean to young skaters aiming for the next Olympics?

Custom Title

Sotnikova's win: what does it mean to young skaters aiming for the next Olympics?

Young skaters and their coaches around the world who are aiming for the next Olympics watched the women's competition and will take a lesson or two from Sotnikova's decisive win (6 points ahead of Yuna Kim) over the elite skaters at Sochi.

This rather surprising win was justified by the skating community that said that she won because she did one more triple jump, but their accounts on how the difference in the levels of artistry, musicality, interpretation or skating skills affect scoring have been less clear. After seeing this, do you think young skaters around the world will switch their focus away from other areas of skating such as skating skills or artistry and invest more toward developing jumping skills ?

I don't think they will start focusing on jumping only, since Sotnikova had to have a reasonable level of artistic ability to win, but I think they might become more optimistic about their chances of winning a medal as a first-time Olympian.

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I don't think they will start focusing on jumping only, since Sotnikova had to have a reasonable level of artistic ability to win, but I think they might become more optimistic about their chances of winning a medal as a first-time Olympian.
    Or, they will focus on getting their people into the judging panel. Sorry, but I know what I'm talking about. I live in a developing country where sports are pretty much in developing state, too, and I've heard people saying publicly those exaclt words, several times from different persons. "We have to have our people in judging panel to succeed."

Custom Title
    They should engage in a strategy with the most credible knowledge about the place the event is held and who the judges are going to be. Nothing else will do if you want to medal.

Custom Title
    It mean that if you can deliver the technical goods you can do well.

On the Ice
    Focus on technical stuff, not Michelle Kwan like *artistry*, we are not in the 1970s anymore.

I ddon't think anything has changed. Young skaters worked hard on their jumps before, they will work hard on their jumps after. Their coaches will force them to pay some attention to other aspects of skating, just as before. As for Blue Idealist's comment about first time Olympians, every Olympic gold medalist 1988, except Shizuka Arakawa, was a first-time Olympian, so nothing new there. About allegations of political judging, same old, same old.

Custom Title
    I'm picturing it being a lot sportier, hopefully with hardest 3-3s, maybe 3A or quad attempts? I think Sotnikova isn't the most artistic but to suggest skaters are all going to be jumpbots is ridiculous.

Custom Title
    never mind.

Custom Title
    If you work hard you can beat anyone! No one is unbeatable. Do the hardest jumps and skate with passion and you can be Olympic champion! You don't have to win worlds or anything! There is no ranking! COP is open!

Custom Title
    They should pray that they are Korean or highly favored by a block of judges and a technical caller allied with their country.

Just give up on skating already.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mirai4life View Post
    Just give up on skating already.
    That's exactly my thought.

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    If you work hard you can beat anyone! No one is unbeatable. Do the hardest jumps and skate with passion and you can be Olympic champion! You don't have to win worlds or anything! There is no ranking! COP is open!
    I only wish your excited comment didn't bring to my mind the pic with the equally excited new champion hugging Alla Shekhovtsova.

Why give up skating? You might be the next Adelina Sotnikova and win a gold medal. You might be the next Yuna Kim and win a gold and a silver. You might be the next Mao Asada and win two world championships and the accliam of your nation. You might be the next Carolina Kostner and make people weep at the beauty of your skating.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast