Thread: NY Times Article on Dick Button's Upper East Side Apartment

Rinkside

NY Times Article on Dick Button's Upper East Side Apartment

I didn't see this posted.

Very nice article/interview on Dick Button, and his apartment in New York City's Upper East Side. I also enjoyed very much the photos in the slide show, which capture his skating inspired art collection...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/27/ga...gure.html?_r=0

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    There was an article about his farm and garden upstate before, but this about his apartment is new. What a collection he has! Thank you for posting.

Custom Title
    Thanks for posting that link, I enjoyed it. Yes that is quite an art collection Dick has acquired over the years.

Custom Title
    I want that comfy armchair!

Custom Title
    Makes me wonder - did Dick usually talk like this when he was younger?

Custom Title
    I love Dick's14 room "pied a terre!" Seriously, his collection looks awesome.

I terribly miss Dick Button's skating comments. Not only for the actual technical descriptions, but for the aesthetic and cultural references. He wasn't afraid to be verbally critical. He demonstrated that there was more to skating commentary than just a " rah rah" for every performance.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    I love Dick's14 room "pied a terre!" Seriously, his collection looks awesome.
    I laughed at that, as well!

Custom Title
    As someone who lives in a tiny Manhattan studio apartment, I long for a door to close that isn't my front door, oven door, closet door or bathroom door. 14 rooms! The Committee would like to move a family of 19 in with you, Comrade Uncle Dick. Fair is fair!

Custom Title
    Wonder why he needs such a large apartment? Did his ex-wife ever remarry? I wish they had shown other rooms.

Medalist
    Love this quote:

"Which is your favorite skating performance of all time?
    I won’t ever say and I’ll tell you why. Every skater has something that is good and unique and special. A great skater is one who reaches the top, and leaves the sport different and better because they were in it."

Custom Title
    I wonder how he has so much money. My guess is that he bought that apartment in like, the 1970s, for a much more reasonable amount than one would pay for that space today.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by amc987 View Post
    I wonder how he has so much money. My guess is that he bought that apartment in like, the 1970s, for a much more reasonable amount than one would pay for that space today.
    Dick is a born promoter and has been promoting himself and his various ventures since for the past 60 years, at least. I'm not surprised that he has a lot of money.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Dick is a born promoter and has been promoting himself and his various ventures since for the past 60 years, at least. I'm not surprised that he has a lot of money.
    Yeah, I mean, I'm not surprised he's not living from social security check to social security check. But a 14-room apartment in Manhattan is a whole other league of money. It could easily go for $10 million +. Those would have to be some pretty lucrative ventures.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Why Dick Button is very well to do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Bu...ssional_career