How will Sotnikova be viewed should she stumble going forward? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How will Sotnikova be viewed should she stumble going forward?

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
She is talented. Period. Her future is completely in her hands. If she stumbles, she'll still be an Oly champ. You might think all of the previous champs were SO GREAT OMG!!! She is no worse than others. There are outstanding champs and also there are ordinary champs. But still all of them are champs;)
PS - I think she'll only improve. Gracie too..

elif

Medalist
I'm wondering if she can maintain 74+ PCS scores for clean skates? If she competes at the WC do you think her PCS will drop to pre-Sochi levels?

Of course she is not going to get exact same PCS. Even Yu-Na Kim didn't get at 2010 Worlds.But after the Kostner, Asada retiring she is going to get top PCS in ladies. Gold with senior programs maybe score higher than her but rest of the field, not probably.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Of course she is not going to get exact same PCS. Even Yu-Na Kim didn't get at 2010 Worlds.But after the Kostner, Asada retiring she is going to get top PCS in ladies. Gold with senior programs maybe score higher than her but rest of the field, not probably.
Right. Kim's PCS dropped by 6 in the FS alone. After that season in 2010-11, Asada's PCS dropped like a rock because while she was re-learning all her jumps she was bombing every competition (except for that year's 4CC where she actually was semi-put together; it's a real pity about the whole Worlds business). Ando's PCS were low until she won Nationals, Rochette retired as the beloved veteran (like Kostner this year), and Kostner's PCS were slightly higher than Ando's but not by much.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Sarah Hughes earned her title though. Adelina skated her heart out, but that doesn't mean she deserved to win. Bronze yes. Gold or silver, no.

You clearly have not watched Sarah Hughes' SP in Salt Lake City.

whatif

Medalist
It's funny to read some of these comments now and compare to what people were saying 4 years ago when she along with Tuktamesheva were predicted to win these Olympics, including praising her skating skills and so on. That's of course until the beloved Yuna decided to sleepwalk to a second gold medal.

miki88

Medalist
I'm amused at how commentators and media are so shocked by Adelina's win because she is not a complete skater and not elegant. Um, have they forgotten Slutskaya? Another Russian skater who didn't have good posture/lines and tacky choreography, but was a gold medal favorite at two Olympics, and would have possibly won if she didn't make mistakes. Or the reign of Plushenko? And it's not just Russian skaters. Elvis and even the revered Midori Ito, yes greatest jumper ever but not the most elegant or artistic. It just takes a little look back into figure skating history to see this is not an unusual occurrence.

CarneAsada

Medalist
It's interesting how in gymnastics the Russians are generally known as the "artistic" and "elegant" ones, while here in skating they are known as the charmless oxen. And boy did Adelina's FS fit that mold (though she's got more charm than Lipnitskaya or her former rival Tuktamysheva at least). I don't quite understand it.

evangeline

Record Breaker
It's interesting how in gymnastics the Russians are generally known as the "artistic" and "elegant" ones, while here in skating they are known as the charmless oxen. And boy does Adelina fit that mold (though she's got more charm than Lipnitskaya or her former rival Tuktamysheva at least). I don't quite understand it.

Hmm....it really depends. Maria Butyrskaya was known for her elegance on ice, and lower-ranked Russian ladies skaters like Polina Korobeynikova aren't too lacking in that department either. Plus, the Russian pairs and ice dancing teams are often known as "elegant" and "artistic" (Gordeeva/Grinkov, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, Mishkutenok/Dmitriev, Krylova/Ovsiannikov, Klimova/Ponomarenko, Usova/Zhulin, etc).

CarneAsada

Medalist
Yes, Pairs and Ice Dance not so much, but I was mostly talking about the women's individual event. It feels like ever since Slutskaya, the top Russian lady has been in her mold.

noskates

Record Breaker
If she stumbles going forward they'll say what they said before - she has potential but is inconsistent. It won't take away from the fact that in Sochi she put two fabulous programs together.

miki88

Medalist
It's interesting how in gymnastics the Russians are generally known as the "artistic" and "elegant" ones, while here in skating they are known as the charmless oxen. And boy did Adelina's FS fit that mold (though she's got more charm than Lipnitskaya or her former rival Tuktamysheva at least). I don't quite understand it.

Remember Irina's "feeding the chickens" choreography? That was one for the ages! :laugh: Yea, I agree Adelina is far more entertaining than Julia or Eliza. I do remember she was a favorite upcoming skater for many GS'ers, but then of course, no one expected her to defeat the Queen. ;) I have to say though, Adelina's *** choreography grabbed my attention more than it should. It was one of those so bad that it's good. Since I found myself guilty of it, can't blame the judges too much....:slink:

CarneAsada

Medalist
Remember Irina's "feeding the chickens" choreography? That was one for the ages! :laugh: Yea, I agree Adelina is far more entertaining than Julia or Eliza. I do remember she was a favorite upcoming skater for many GS'ers, but then of course, no one expected her to defeat the Queen. ;) I have to say though, Adelina's *** choreography grabbed my attention more than it should. It was one of those so bad that it's good. Since I found myself guilty of it, can't blame the judges too much....:slink:
Irina's 2002 SP was my favorite program from her, possibly the only program I truly liked even. But I was always a fan of the end of her Tosca FS where she just waved her arms around (how would she end? Hugging herself with her head thrown back? Oh no, maybe with her hands cradling her head? Oh not that either) before finally deciding on an ending pose. :laugh: But Adelina really deserves credit. She unlike any of the charmless oxen before her made it to the Olympics and didn't wilt. Slutskaya must be green with envy.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
There is nothing she can ever to which would make her bought 2010 Olympic Gold seem legitimate and erase it from being known for decades to come as the biggest farce in Olympic skating hisory. She could up her reputation by actually winning a legitimate major title of any kind (even Europeans) someday though. One she actually has to skate to win, and that wasnt already purchased by a Billionaire well in advance.

miki88

Medalist
Irina's 2002 SP was my favorite program from her, possibly the only program I truly liked even. But I was always a fan of the end of her Tosca FS where she just waved her arms around (how would she end? Hugging herself with her head thrown back? Oh no, maybe with her hands cradling her head? Oh not that either) before finally deciding on an ending pose. :laugh: But Adelina really deserves credit. She unlike any of the charmless oxen before her made it to the Olympics and didn't wilt. Slutskaya must be green with envy.

LoL. What this event made me realize is that why are there even scores for transitions and choreography? Those scores are just placeholders; no one seems to know how to score them correctly. They should just do away with those two. PCS should just be one score. So much of it now is technical and that should be taken care of in GOEs (already a very subjective component). They don't need to reward things like execution twice.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Yes, Pairs and Ice Dance not so much, but I was mostly talking about the women's individual event. It feels like ever since Slutskaya, the top Russian lady has been in her mold.

Well, it's like how a lot of top Russian men after Plushenko are basically Plushenko clones: http://morozombie.blogspot.com/2011/09/russians-clone-first-human-beings.html

I think someone like Elena Radionova (with some better packaging, etc) will be able to turn things around for the Russian ladies, though....

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
LoL. What this event made me realize is that why are there even scores for transitions and choreography? Those scores are just placeholders; no one seems to know how to score them correctly. They should just do away with those two. PCS should just be one score. So much of it now is technical and that should be taken care of in GOEs (already a very subjective component). They don't need to reward things like execution twice.

I agree. They are so subjective that the judges use these to mark how much they like the skater, rather than the merits of the program.

usethis2

Medalist
There is nothing she can ever to which would make her bought 2010 Olympic Gold seem legitimate and erase it from being known for decades to come as the biggest farce in Olympic skating hisory. She could up her reputation by actually winning a legitimate major title of any kind (even Europeans) someday though. One she actually has to skate to win, and that wasnt already purchased by a Billionaire well in advance.

Agreed. Sadly.