Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How will Sotnikova be viewed should she stumble going forward?

Adelina was having always a future WC potential.
    So, now that Yuna,Caro,Mao retire soon, I think she would win at least one WC title.
    As OGM, she is now in the most stand-out position among young skaters(Gold, Julia etc). An advantage to her in future competitive scenes. So her situation is different from Sarah‘s who had to face Kwan, Irina again.

Long time lurker & first time poster here. In my humble opinion Adelina Sotnikova is pretty much Russia's version of USA's Sarah Hughes or very much like her own countryman Alexei Urmanov. Both Urmanov and Hughes each to their own credit at least had a world bronze medal before winning the olympic gold medal, but neither one's skating career never recovered b/c at worlds following the Olympics they never placed on the podium again, then eventually saw the writing on the wall and promptly retired. Sotnikova is barely out of juniors, was 9th at last year's Worlds, came in 5th at the GPF back in Dec, and has never won any GP events nor Euros, and based on her lack of senior titles she really shouldn't have placed any higher than third in Sochi. However, once Sotnikova competes outside of the Russian bubble, either at Worlds/on the Grand Prix circuit/or at Euros, she's definitely not gonna get those cooked BS scores like she did in Sochi, and I really look for her skating career to follow the same path as Sarah Hughes and Alexei Urmanov's, and with this latest judging controversy growing she's mostly like gonna end up with an asterisk next to her name.

Tripping on the Podium
    I don't think adelina is as bad as sarah hughes... and alexei who?

On the Ice
    I'm wondering if she can maintain 74+ PCS scores for clean skates? If she competes at the WC do you think her PCS will drop to pre-Sochi levels?

Custom Title
    The disgusting judging at this event will ruin this girl's future sadly. She is a victim too. She did nothing but skate her heart out and now has to deal with controversy everytime she skates.

Custom Title
    She is talented. Period. Her future is completely in her hands. If she stumbles, she'll still be an Oly champ. You might think all of the previous champs were SO GREAT OMG!!! She is no worse than others. There are outstanding champs and also there are ordinary champs. But still all of them are champs
    PS - I think she'll only improve. Gracie too..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tokugawaice View Post
    I'm wondering if she can maintain 74+ PCS scores for clean skates? If she competes at the WC do you think her PCS will drop to pre-Sochi levels?
    Of course she is not going to get exact same PCS. Even Yu-Na Kim didn't get at 2010 Worlds.But after the Kostner, Asada retiring she is going to get top PCS in ladies. Gold with senior programs maybe score higher than her but rest of the field, not probably.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    Of course she is not going to get exact same PCS. Even Yu-Na Kim didn't get at 2010 Worlds.But after the Kostner, Asada retiring she is going to get top PCS in ladies. Gold with senior programs maybe score higher than her but rest of the field, not probably.
    Right. Kim's PCS dropped by 6 in the FS alone. After that season in 2010-11, Asada's PCS dropped like a rock because while she was re-learning all her jumps she was bombing every competition (except for that year's 4CC where she actually was semi-put together; it's a real pity about the whole Worlds business). Ando's PCS were low until she won Nationals, Rochette retired as the beloved veteran (like Kostner this year), and Kostner's PCS were slightly higher than Ando's but not by much.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Sarah Hughes earned her title though. Adelina skated her heart out, but that doesn't mean she deserved to win. Bronze yes. Gold or silver, no.
    You clearly have not watched Sarah Hughes' SP in Salt Lake City.

She will be remembered as Olympic champion.

Rinkside
    with scandals of course

Custom Title
    It's funny to read some of these comments now and compare to what people were saying 4 years ago when she along with Tuktamesheva were predicted to win these Olympics, including praising her skating skills and so on. That's of course until the beloved Yuna decided to sleepwalk to a second gold medal.

Mashimaro on Ice
    I'm amused at how commentators and media are so shocked by Adelina's win because she is not a complete skater and not elegant. Um, have they forgotten Slutskaya? Another Russian skater who didn't have good posture/lines and tacky choreography, but was a gold medal favorite at two Olympics, and would have possibly won if she didn't make mistakes. Or the reign of Plushenko? And it's not just Russian skaters. Elvis and even the revered Midori Ito, yes greatest jumper ever but not the most elegant or artistic. It just takes a little look back into figure skating history to see this is not an unusual occurrence.

Custard Title
    It's interesting how in gymnastics the Russians are generally known as the "artistic" and "elegant" ones, while here in skating they are known as the charmless oxen. And boy did Adelina's FS fit that mold (though she's got more charm than Lipnitskaya or her former rival Tuktamysheva at least). I don't quite understand it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    It's interesting how in gymnastics the Russians are generally known as the "artistic" and "elegant" ones, while here in skating they are known as the charmless oxen. And boy does Adelina fit that mold (though she's got more charm than Lipnitskaya or her former rival Tuktamysheva at least). I don't quite understand it.
    Hmm....it really depends. Maria Butyrskaya was known for her elegance on ice, and lower-ranked Russian ladies skaters like Polina Korobeynikova aren't too lacking in that department either. Plus, the Russian pairs and ice dancing teams are often known as "elegant" and "artistic" (Gordeeva/Grinkov, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, Mishkutenok/Dmitriev, Krylova/Ovsiannikov, Klimova/Ponomarenko, Usova/Zhulin, etc).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast