Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How will Sotnikova be viewed should she stumble going forward?

Custard Title
    Yes, Pairs and Ice Dance not so much, but I was mostly talking about the women's individual event. It feels like ever since Slutskaya, the top Russian lady has been in her mold.

Custom Title
    If she stumbles going forward they'll say what they said before - she has potential but is inconsistent. It won't take away from the fact that in Sochi she put two fabulous programs together.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    It's interesting how in gymnastics the Russians are generally known as the "artistic" and "elegant" ones, while here in skating they are known as the charmless oxen. And boy did Adelina's FS fit that mold (though she's got more charm than Lipnitskaya or her former rival Tuktamysheva at least). I don't quite understand it.
    Remember Irina's "feeding the chickens" choreography? That was one for the ages! Yea, I agree Adelina is far more entertaining than Julia or Eliza. I do remember she was a favorite upcoming skater for many GS'ers, but then of course, no one expected her to defeat the Queen. I have to say though, Adelina's *** choreography grabbed my attention more than it should. It was one of those so bad that it's good. Since I found myself guilty of it, can't blame the judges too much....

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by EricRohmer View Post
    "(...) her situation is different from Sarah‘s who had to face Kwan, Irina again."
    Exactly. She has a better prospect to solidify/redeem herself.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Remember Irina's "feeding the chickens" choreography? That was one for the ages! Yea, I agree Adelina is far more entertaining than Julia or Eliza. I do remember she was a favorite upcoming skater for many GS'ers, but then of course, no one expected her to defeat the Queen. I have to say though, Adelina's *** choreography grabbed my attention more than it should. It was one of those so bad that it's good. Since I found myself guilty of it, can't blame the judges too much....
    Irina's 2002 SP was my favorite program from her, possibly the only program I truly liked even. But I was always a fan of the end of her Tosca FS where she just waved her arms around (how would she end? Hugging herself with her head thrown back? Oh no, maybe with her hands cradling her head? Oh not that either) before finally deciding on an ending pose. But Adelina really deserves credit. She unlike any of the charmless oxen before her made it to the Olympics and didn't wilt. Slutskaya must be green with envy.

Banned
    There is nothing she can ever to which would make her bought 2010 Olympic Gold seem legitimate and erase it from being known for decades to come as the biggest farce in Olympic skating hisory. She could up her reputation by actually winning a legitimate major title of any kind (even Europeans) someday though. One she actually has to skate to win, and that wasnt already purchased by a Billionaire well in advance.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Irina's 2002 SP was my favorite program from her, possibly the only program I truly liked even. But I was always a fan of the end of her Tosca FS where she just waved her arms around (how would she end? Hugging herself with her head thrown back? Oh no, maybe with her hands cradling her head? Oh not that either) before finally deciding on an ending pose. But Adelina really deserves credit. She unlike any of the charmless oxen before her made it to the Olympics and didn't wilt. Slutskaya must be green with envy.
    LoL. What this event made me realize is that why are there even scores for transitions and choreography? Those scores are just placeholders; no one seems to know how to score them correctly. They should just do away with those two. PCS should just be one score. So much of it now is technical and that should be taken care of in GOEs (already a very subjective component). They don't need to reward things like execution twice.

Custom Title
    Yes, Pairs and Ice Dance not so much, but I was mostly talking about the women's individual event. It feels like ever since Slutskaya, the top Russian lady has been in her mold.
    Well, it's like how a lot of top Russian men after Plushenko are basically Plushenko clones: http://morozombie.blogspot.com/2011/...an-beings.html

I think someone like Elena Radionova (with some better packaging, etc) will be able to turn things around for the Russian ladies, though....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    LoL. What this event made me realize is that why are there even scores for transitions and choreography? Those scores are just placeholders; no one seems to know how to score them correctly. They should just do away with those two. PCS should just be one score. So much of it now is technical and that should be taken care of in GOEs (already a very subjective component). They don't need to reward things like execution twice.
    I agree. They are so subjective that the judges use these to mark how much they like the skater, rather than the merits of the program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    There is nothing she can ever to which would make her bought 2010 Olympic Gold seem legitimate and erase it from being known for decades to come as the biggest farce in Olympic skating hisory. She could up her reputation by actually winning a legitimate major title of any kind (even Europeans) someday though. One she actually has to skate to win, and that wasnt already purchased by a Billionaire well in advance.
    Agreed. Sadly.

On the Ice
    She will be introduced as an Olympic champion for the rest of her life. Maybe 10-20 years from now, every young hopeful who enters the Olympics as an underdog may get inspiration from Adelina's OGM without knowing how she won really. Yu-Na's career is too intimidating for an underdog if you think about it.

Custom Title
    I doubt she will ever skate this well again. She possibly could, but the pressure on her to do that and even better will be her downfall. Also, in her country alone she is going to face fierce competition from some present skaters, Julia in particular, and some up and comers. I do not think she will even be the best in her country, let alone the world, by the time the next Olympics rolls around.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I doubt she will ever skate this well again. She possibly could, but the pressure on her to do that and even better will be her downfall. Also, in her country alone she is going to face fierce competition from some present skaters, Julia in particular, and some up and comers. I do not think she will even be the best in her country, let alone the world, by the time the next Olympics rolls around.
    Maybe, maybe not. However, Adelina seems to do better when she's spurred on by her country. Folks were talking after Cup of China, of her being left of the team after losing to Anna. Adelina had a short program problem, but she went out there in France and did her first clean Long Program.

She was not happy about Yulia's attention, so she went out there and won the Olympics.

I think she can improve artistically, also I know she's talking about adding in a quad (which she could do)..

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    I know she's talking about adding in a quad (which she could do)..
    No doubt about it. This girl can jump!!

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post

I think she can improve artistically, also I know she's talking about adding in a quad (which she could do)..
    I doubt she will, and hope she doesn't. Training a quad to competitive level is likely to do a good amount of damage to her body. Not to mention a lot of times when these girls are saying they are doing quads, they are almost always under-rotated (often severely). I suspect Adelina's is as well, unless someone has video evidence that says otherwise. And even if she did manage to train it to competitive levels without substantial injury, it's going to hard to include it in a program. Not only because it will be difficult to land a quad with all the anxiety that comes with competition, but a quad is very draining. It would be enormously difficult for a women to execute a fully-rotated 4T and then deliver a remaining program with good jumps and footwork for +GOE. If a women wants to include a 4T they would likely have to water down the rest of their jumping content, and by then it's probably a wash, or maybe even a loss, in terms of point value. Also, if she fell on her opening 4T, I'm pretty sure the rest of her performance would completely fall apart.

Honestly, there isn't much more for her to do in terms of technical content. I'd say probably just try fix that perpetually flutzing problem and under-rotation issues, and then afterwards maybe try to get that 3Lz+3Lo down and maybe try a 3Lz+2T+2Lo rather than a 3F+2T+2Lo. Her artistry and SS are just marginally above average for a top lady so she has a lot of room for improvement there, but her PCS was already so absurdly inflated at Oly there isn't much point to improving her components from a competitive perspective - she'll never fall below 73-74 if clean (or 70-72 with 2 falls even) now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast