Thread: Will Kim Yu-na be remembered more for her artistry or for technical abilities?

Hybrid View

On the Ice

Will Kim Yu-na be remembered more for her artistry or for technical abilities?

When Kim Yu-na first burst into skating, she was renowned for her jumps and skating skills. Her triple-triple and double axel triple toe made her famous. However, at these last olympics, some commentators remarked on Kim's artistry. Sandra on NBC thought Kim was head and shoulder's above the rest of the women in terms of artistry. Do you think Kim will be remembered as an artist or for her powerful jumps?

Rinkside
    She will be remembered as a complete skater.

The whole package
    Edit : and her great personality and humility

Custom Title
    I think she will be remembered for being complete and dependable, especially under an unquantifiable amount of pressure.

edit: and for her grace as a person

Banned
    She'll be remembered for having everything...essentially a complete and beautiful skater.

Banned
    I hope she's remembered most as a good woman.

I think it was Tracy Wilson who called her a "gentle soul".

Custom Title
    The reason why she could pull off such an artistic presence is because she had technical prowess. You cannot be artistic if you are scared of jumps or anything else for that matter. Just ask David Wilson and why Yuna is a special case. Alternatively, you can watch other skaters who were choreographed by Wilson and see the difference.

Tripping on the Podium
    Yuna Kim will be remembered "Queen Yuna" not only for having text book technical abilities & exquisite artistry but for her golden heart with virtues and true beauty. 'Queen Yuna' will be cherished in the history book and the hearts of mankind forever.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by junesong2 View Post
    She will be remembered as a complete skater.
    This.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith72 View Post
    When Kim Yu-na first burst into skating, she was renowned for her jumps and skating skills. Her triple-triple and double axel triple toe made her famous. However, at these last olympics, some commentators remarked on Kim's artistry. Sandra on NBC thought Kim was head and shoulder's above the rest of the women in terms of artistry. Do you think Kim will be remembered as an artist or for her powerful jumps?
    Even Carolina Kostner?

Rinkside
    I think Yuna will be remembered as the best overall complete skater. She may not be the greatest at absolutely everything (i.e., spins, flexibility), but she is FANTASTIC in many areas (3-3 combos, speed, footwork, artistry) and doesn't really have notable weaknesses. She is also the best competitor I can remember in a long time. Katarina Witt may have been stronger, but Katarina was also not doing as much technically and not skating under IJS. People may be disappointed with what Johnny or Tara may have said during the live broadcast, but Tara said more than once, "How does she DO that??" I've always wondered the same thing and am baffled by Yuna's amazing mental strength. It's been an honor to be a Yuna fan. It's actually so easy to be her fan because she's been so reliably good all these years. Long Live Queen Yuna!

On another note, I think that maybe my next favorite competitor might be Yulia in that she also seems to be so strong mentally. I think it was just too much for her to skate both programs (perfectly!) in the team competition prior to the individual competition. I'm still not sure how I feel about the team competition...