Will Kim Yu-na be remembered more for her artistry or for technical abilities? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will Kim Yu-na be remembered more for her artistry or for technical abilities?

PftJump

On the Ice
I bet no ladies can do Yuna's "poor" programs.

They will lay down on rink at about 3:00.

Look easy and really easy is so different.

If Yuna's program is really such easy, Why nobody try doing her layout and perfectly performing it?

Every ladies got superior skills and postures than Yuna, right?

They would win so easily just doing Yuna's easy, safe, not challenging layout...

All coaches in the world are stupid and suck! For 5 years, they are not even know it!!

sk8in

Match Penalty
If you ask the ISU they will say she was a "soft" "elegant" "arteest" .....and her canvas was the ice! If you ask someone with a brain they will say her perfect jumping technique, and incredible lines.

EyesOfLove

On the Ice
1. Perfect Balance between technical strength and artistry.
2. The best consistency, competitive ability, and mental fortitude in skating history.
3. A Pioneer of figure skating in her home country, and a Philanthropist with a gentle soul.

Ven

Match Penalty
The best consistency, competitive ability, and mental fortitude in skating history. PERIOD.

She had the pressure of her entire country breathing down her back in 2010. In 2014 the rigged judging was obvious, the crowd was booing her, and she had a broken foot.

Can you imagine any other skater in history going clean and delivering command performances under those circumstances? Twice?

I can't! People may not agree on certain things about Yuna's skating, but one thing everyone should be able to agree on ... she has the best nerve of any skater who has ever lived. Male or female.

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
Which 'artistry'? She always presented herself with dead facial expresion, bulky feet, terrible line and slow glide. She'll be remembered for some of her very effective triple-triple combos (i.e. 3f-3tl; 3tl-3tl), powerful in the air and with excellent ice-coverage, tho' ugly in the landing position. She'll also be remembered for being an Olympic Champion from a Non-traditional country and for her hyper-mediatized rivalry with Asada Mao. In conclusion, I'd say: for her technical 'merit' (only in those effective 3-3 combs): yes; for artistry (being fair): no.

The complete package, including the essential factor of coolness under extreme pressure. There's no such thing as the most perfect skater who ever lived, because every skater has aspects that are exceeded by some other skater (agreed that Sasha Cohen points her toes better than YuNa, for example), but there's a pinnacle of quality inhabited by very few skaters, and that's where you'll find YuNa. Add to this that she has made a difference in the world off the ice, which is pretty impressive for an athlete who could easily be completely absorbed in her own career, and you have a memorable person, not just a memorable skater.

miki88

Medalist
When Kim Yu-na first burst into skating, she was renowned for her jumps and skating skills. Her triple-triple and double axel triple toe made her famous. However, at these last olympics, some commentators remarked on Kim's artistry. Sandra on NBC thought Kim was head and shoulder's above the rest of the women in terms of artistry. Do you think Kim will be remembered as an artist or for her powerful jumps?

Even Carolina Kostner?

darializa

Rinkside
I think Yuna will be remembered as the best overall complete skater. She may not be the greatest at absolutely everything (i.e., spins, flexibility), but she is FANTASTIC in many areas (3-3 combos, speed, footwork, artistry) and doesn't really have notable weaknesses. She is also the best competitor I can remember in a long time. Katarina Witt may have been stronger, but Katarina was also not doing as much technically and not skating under IJS. People may be disappointed with what Johnny or Tara may have said during the live broadcast, but Tara said more than once, "How does she DO that??" I've always wondered the same thing and am baffled by Yuna's amazing mental strength. It's been an honor to be a Yuna fan. It's actually so easy to be her fan because she's been so reliably good all these years. Long Live Queen Yuna!

On another note, I think that maybe my next favorite competitor might be Yulia in that she also seems to be so strong mentally. I think it was just too much for her to skate both programs (perfectly!) in the team competition prior to the individual competition. I'm still not sure how I feel about the team competition...

MizukiS

Rinkside
The complete package, including the essential factor of coolness under extreme pressure. There's no such thing as the most perfect skater who ever lived, because every skater has aspects that are exceeded by some other skater (agreed that Sasha Cohen points her toes better than YuNa, for example), but there's a pinnacle of quality inhabited by very few skaters, and that's where you'll find YuNa. Add to this that she has made a difference in the world off the ice, which is pretty impressive for an athlete who could easily be completely absorbed in her own career, and you have a memorable person, not just a memorable skater.

Well said. Completely agreed.

Krislite

Medalist
As a skater, she will be remembered:

*For her combination of athleticism and artistry, grace and poise, power and dominance.
*For her consistency--never finishing off the podium in her entire career, having won all the major titles she could get, and medalling at the Olympics back-to-back. She's always landed on the podium at major events even with little prior competition to prepare with.
*For her competitive mettle--she more than any other skater of her era, was able to consistently rise to the occasion, doing her very best and going clean back-to-back at Worlds and both the Vancouver and Sochi Olympics. Her ability to withstand Olympic pressure and expectations is unparalleled.
*For her magnificent toe jumps and 3/3 combinations. She has likely the most consistent 3/3 of all time, and landed the most in international competition.
*For pioneering figure skating in a country that had a very minor federation and poor training facilities, and expanding Korea's strength in winter sports beyond speed skating.

There's more to mention (such as her philanthropy), but those concern her as a person, not her skating career.

Symmetry

Rinkside
A total package. A mysterious combination of power and delicacy.

Anyone who has seen her skate live would agree with me; she skates like men. Her jumping technique and speed resemble male skaters'. Yet, she has the most feminine look on ice, like a super-model with ballerina's arms. Due to this strange combination, she was able to produce many magical performances.

jehan215

On the Ice
A total package. A mysterious combination of power and delicacy.

Anyone who has seen her skate live would agree with me; she skates like men. Her jumping technique and speed resemble male skaters'. Yet, she has the most feminine look on ice, like a super-model with ballerina's arms. Due to this strange combination, she was able to produce many magical performances.

Agreed. I happened to see her jump in person - a triple lutz, I think. She literally flew miles across the ice (whilst in the air), and landed without a scratch. I have to admit her expressions are not as visible as other skaters, however no one can deny that she skates in a graceful, poised, eloquent manner.

Aleejsj

Spectator
I don't know what the rules about links are but I think she'll be most remembered for her mental approach. Wrote about it below:
contempstate(dot)wordpress(dot)com/2014/02/20/yuna-kim-the-michael-jordan-of-figure-skating/

PftJump

On the Ice
Which 'artistry'? She always presented herself with dead facial expresion, bulky feet, terrible line and slow glide. She'll be remembered for some of her very effective triple-triple combos (i.e. 3f-3tl; 3tl-3tl), powerful in the air and with excellent ice-coverage, tho' ugly in the landing position. She'll also be remembered for being an Olympic Champion from a Non-traditional country and for her hyper-mediatized rivalry with Asada Mao. In conclusion, I'd say: for her technical 'merit' (only in those effective 3-3 combs): yes; for artistry (being fair): no.

And You'll be remembered the BLIND TROLL.

hurrah

Medalist
Yuna was the first Olympic gold medalist since Oksana Baiul (1994) to win without the full set of triples (minus triple-axel), and I think that she will be the last. That alone shows that she was a skater who honed and perfected the skills that she did have, and had the ability to peak exactly at the right moment.

She was a great strategist and competitor.

jaylee

Medalist
Yuna was the first Olympic gold medalist since Oksana Baiul (1994) to win without the full set of triples (minus triple-axel), and I think that she will be the last. That alone shows that she was a skater who honed and perfected the skills that she did have, and had the ability to peak exactly at the right moment.

Shizuka Arakawa won without a triple loop in 2006.

PftJump

On the Ice

I agree. A skater damaged full set of triples will get OGM.