Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Will Kim Yu-na be remembered more for her artistry or for technical abilities?

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    The complete package, including the essential factor of coolness under extreme pressure. There's no such thing as the most perfect skater who ever lived, because every skater has aspects that are exceeded by some other skater (agreed that Sasha Cohen points her toes better than YuNa, for example), but there's a pinnacle of quality inhabited by very few skaters, and that's where you'll find YuNa. Add to this that she has made a difference in the world off the ice, which is pretty impressive for an athlete who could easily be completely absorbed in her own career, and you have a memorable person, not just a memorable skater.
    Well said. Completely agreed.

As a skater, she will be remembered:

*For her combination of athleticism and artistry, grace and poise, power and dominance.
    *For her consistency--never finishing off the podium in her entire career, having won all the major titles she could get, and medalling at the Olympics back-to-back. She's always landed on the podium at major events even with little prior competition to prepare with.
    *For her competitive mettle--she more than any other skater of her era, was able to consistently rise to the occasion, doing her very best and going clean back-to-back at Worlds and both the Vancouver and Sochi Olympics. Her ability to withstand Olympic pressure and expectations is unparalleled.
    *For her magnificent toe jumps and 3/3 combinations. She has likely the most consistent 3/3 of all time, and landed the most in international competition.
    *For pioneering figure skating in a country that had a very minor federation and poor training facilities, and expanding Korea's strength in winter sports beyond speed skating.

There's more to mention (such as her philanthropy), but those concern her as a person, not her skating career.

On the Ice
    A total package. A mysterious combination of power and delicacy.

Anyone who has seen her skate live would agree with me; she skates like men. Her jumping technique and speed resemble male skaters'. Yet, she has the most feminine look on ice, like a super-model with ballerina's arms. Due to this strange combination, she was able to produce many magical performances.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    A total package. A mysterious combination of power and delicacy.

Anyone who has seen her skate live would agree with me; she skates like men. Her jumping technique and speed resemble male skaters'. Yet, she has the most feminine look on ice, like a super-model with ballerina's arms. Due to this strange combination, she was able to produce many magical performances.
    Agreed. I happened to see her jump in person - a triple lutz, I think. She literally flew miles across the ice (whilst in the air), and landed without a scratch. I have to admit her expressions are not as visible as other skaters, however no one can deny that she skates in a graceful, poised, eloquent manner.

Rinkside
    I don't know what the rules about links are but I think she'll be most remembered for her mental approach. Wrote about it below:
    contempstate(dot)wordpress(dot)com/2014/02/20/yuna-kim-the-michael-jordan-of-figure-skating/

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pETEs (Sasha Fan) View Post
    Which 'artistry'? She always presented herself with dead facial expresion, bulky feet, terrible line and slow glide. She'll be remembered for some of her very effective triple-triple combos (i.e. 3f-3tl; 3tl-3tl), powerful in the air and with excellent ice-coverage, tho' ugly in the landing position. She'll also be remembered for being an Olympic Champion from a Non-traditional country and for her hyper-mediatized rivalry with Asada Mao. In conclusion, I'd say: for her technical 'merit' (only in those effective 3-3 combs): yes; for artistry (being fair): no.
    And You'll be remembered the BLIND TROLL.

Yuna was the first Olympic gold medalist since Oksana Baiul (1994) to win without the full set of triples (minus triple-axel), and I think that she will be the last. That alone shows that she was a skater who honed and perfected the skills that she did have, and had the ability to peak exactly at the right moment.

She was a great strategist and competitor.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Yuna was the first Olympic gold medalist since Oksana Baiul (1994) to win without the full set of triples (minus triple-axel), and I think that she will be the last. That alone shows that she was a skater who honed and perfected the skills that she did have, and had the ability to peak exactly at the right moment.

Shizuka Arakawa won without a triple loop in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    Don't spoil the party. Yuna will be remembered for her lack of a triple loop. End of story.

Custom Title

I agree. A skater damaged full set of triples will get OGM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    Oh, yeah. I should correct my original statement and say that she will probably be the last skater without the physical capacity to do the full set of triples (minus the axel) who will be able to win OGM.

I know many ubers claim that she could do a triple-loop because she did in her junior years, but she never did one in her adult years, and you have to do one in competition to claim you can do one. Mao could do quad salchow and loops in her junior years, and Miki continued to be able to do a quad salchow into her teens, after all, but you don't see posters claiming that Mao and Miki could do quads. Well, actually, Guiness Record says Miki did do a quad when she was 19-year-old, I believe.

Anyway, Yuna was a great strategist and competitor, and I think that is what she will be most remembered for.

Custom Title
    Oh, yeah. I should correct my original statement and say that she will probably be the last skater without the physical capacity to do the full set of triples (minus the axel) who will be able to win OGM.

I know many ubers claim that she could do a triple-loop because she did in her junior years, but she never did one in her adult years, and you have to do one in competition to claim you can do one. Mao could do quad salchow and loops in her junior years, and Miki continued to be able to do a quad salchow into her teens, after all, but you don't see posters claiming that Mao and Miki could do quads. Well, actually, Guiness Record says Miki did do a quad when she was 19-year-old, I believe.

Anyway, Yuna was a great strategist and competitor.
    Sorry, your memory is really suck.

Watch her Scheherazade.

Anyway, Yuna was a great strategist and competitor, and I think that is what she will be most remembered for.
    Wrong again. Check 2007-2008 season (a senior year). She landed triple loop in competition twice: Cup of China, Cup of Russia.

Custom Title
    Using your LOGIC,

Asada will be remembered as poor triple technics and obsession with 3A,

Carolina will be remembered as nerve like a glass and disastrous consistency.

Rinkside
    She did triple loop in her 07-08senior season, but she didn't sucess it as consistantly as she did other 3jumps. And she will probably be the last skater who did 2 clean programs in 2 olympics.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast