Will Kim Yu-na be remembered more for her artistry or for technical abilities? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Will Kim Yu-na be remembered more for her artistry or for technical abilities?

hurrah

Medalist
Shizuka Arakawa won without a triple loop in 2006.

Oh, yeah. I should correct my original statement and say that she will probably be the last skater without the physical capacity to do the full set of triples (minus the axel) who will be able to win OGM.

I know many ubers claim that she could do a triple-loop because she did in her junior years, but she never did one in her adult years, and you have to do one in competition to claim you can do one. Mao could do quad salchow and loops in her junior years, and Miki continued to be able to do a quad salchow into her teens, after all, but you don't see posters claiming that Mao and Miki could do quads. Well, actually, Guiness Record says Miki did do a quad when she was 19-year-old, I believe.

Anyway, Yuna was a great strategist and competitor, and I think that is what she will be most remembered for.

PftJump

On the Ice
Oh, yeah. I should correct my original statement and say that she will probably be the last skater without the physical capacity to do the full set of triples (minus the axel) who will be able to win OGM.

I know many ubers claim that she could do a triple-loop because she did in her junior years, but she never did one in her adult years, and you have to do one in competition to claim you can do one. Mao could do quad salchow and loops in her junior years, and Miki continued to be able to do a quad salchow into her teens, after all, but you don't see posters claiming that Mao and Miki could do quads. Well, actually, Guiness Record says Miki did do a quad when she was 19-year-old, I believe.

Anyway, Yuna was a great strategist and competitor.

Sorry, your memory is really suck.

Watch her Scheherazade.

Krislite

Medalist

Anyway, Yuna was a great strategist and competitor, and I think that is what she will be most remembered for.

Wrong again. Check 2007-2008 season (a senior year). She landed triple loop in competition twice: Cup of China, Cup of Russia.

PftJump

On the Ice

Using your LOGIC,

Asada will be remembered as poor triple technics and obsession with 3A,

Carolina will be remembered as nerve like a glass and disastrous consistency.

jen0210

Spectator
She did triple loop in her 07-08senior season, but she didn't sucess it as consistantly as she did other 3jumps. And she will probably be the last skater who did 2 clean programs in 2 olympics.

hurrah

Medalist
Using your LOGIC,

Asada will be remembered as poor triple technics and obsession with 3A,

Carolina will be remembered as nerve like a glass and disastrous consistency.

Mao will definitely be remembered for her obsession with 3A, and not so great technique on her toe jumps, which she worked hard to improve upon and did to some extent. Her loop and salchow and axel technique was not particularly bad.
Carolina will also be remembered for her poor competition nerves. It was often her undoing and she really only managed to control them in Sochi.

Yuna will definitely be remembered for her excellent toe jump technique, but more than anything, I think Yuna ought to, and will be remembered for being a great strategist and competitor.

Layfan

Record Breaker
In my mind, Yuna Kim will be remembered as nothing more and nothing less than the dominant skater of her era and one of the all-time greats.

hurrah

Medalist
Yes, her domination in 2009-2010, 2013, in particular, was incredible, and she never missed a podium in her entire career!

jehan215

On the Ice
Isn't she also the first lady to do a grand slam? Olympics GOLD, Worlds GOLD, Four Continents (counterpart to European Champs) GOLD, Grand Prix Final GOLD. And yeah, she never finished off the podium!

Edit: Unless there's any other competitions out there that she hasn't competed in?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Best CoP skater known for consistency and speed/huge 3x3s. More Athlete than artist for me, but she went where the points were. Still only level 3 spins tho and no nice spirals, even tho CoP did not reward them, Mao has lovely elements beside jumps.

parma

On the Ice
One will be required to name several top skaters in the past for comparison to cover many qualities of Yuna Kim because she is the most complete skater in the history of the sport. She is also a remarkable skater/person with many contrasting qualities: awesome power and speed in her foot strokes but also delicate, softness in her upper-body movements; grand, majestic jumps but also minute attention given to her footworks, transitions and choreography; her soft and gentle off-ice persona but fierce competitiveness, focus and steel nerves on ice.

She is a truly rare skater who won competitions both artistically and athletically.

There will be no skater quite like Yuna who can give contrasting programs like Danse Macabre and Sand in the Clowns so equally convincingly.

She is, and will remain to be one of those skating legends who need no introduction to skating fans.

gourry

Final Flight
I will remember her as a perfect balance of athleticism and artistry, a remarkable competitor, and a really versatile skater with lots of masterpiece programs. :)

verysmuchso

On the Ice
I find the distinction between athleticism and artistry quite artificial and empty. A skater needs athletic power to produce any ounce of artistry on ice in any convincing manner. A skater with poor edgework and poor speed will just plod through her program with blunt moves, and any artistry she might claim to will have only an ideational existence. The way Yuna skated in Sochi, in both of her programs was so powerful yet so tender. I have seen such a moving contrast only in the tenderness with which a mother tiger picks up a tiger cub. So delicately and lovingly did her blades touch the ice. If only the ice could speak, about what an extraordinary experience that was to be touched and caressed by Yuna!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sand in the Clowns
LOL, it's Send, not Sand. I get quite a different picture of Clowns with sand in their costumes.

Yuna will be remembered up there with her idol, Michelle Kwan, being able to captivate an audience with her grace, artistry and her huge jumps (which were better than MK's). She is a great ambassador for the sport, a class act and deserves her title of Queen Yuna.

vegarin

On the Ice
One will be required to name several top skaters in the past for comparison to cover many qualities of Yuna Kim because she is the most complete skater in the history of the sport. She is also a remarkable skater/person with many contrasting qualities: awesome power and speed in her foot strokes but also delicate, softness in her upper-body movements; grand, majestic jumps but also minute attention given to her footworks, transitions and choreography; her soft and gentle off-ice persona but fierce competitiveness, focus and steel nerves on ice.

She is a truly rare skater who won competitions both artistically and athletically.

There will be no skater quite like Yuna who can give contrasting programs like Danse Macabre and Sand in the Clowns so equally convincingly.

She is, and will remain to be one of those skating legends who need no introduction to skating fans.

:agree:

roxella

On the Ice
She will be remembered for what she truly is...one of the most important skaters in the world :) The Queen on this sport! :clap:

Yuna will be remembered up there with her idol, Michelle Kwan, being able to captivate an audience with her grace, artistry and her huge jumps (which were better than MK's). She is a great ambassador for the sport, a class act and deserves her title of Queen Yuna.

:thumbsup: And like Michelle, in the long run it is what comes next that matters. I believe that Yuna will prove herself to be a person of substance, a person whose life journey far outruns her accomplishments in the skating arena.

figurejennah

On the Ice
Did anyone else see the comment yet or just go off my report? I saw her say it at 1 a.m. late night and posted on here, but I don't know if any others watched it either.

What did Tara say exactly? Why is Tara always so harsh on Yuna? I remember her saying that for Yuna's first come back after 2010 Olympics, her Giselle didn't have fire or whatever. Honestly, Tara Lipinski is said to be (or at least I heard everyone I know say that) one of the worst Olympic champions of all time, with her tiny jumps and no artistry. I don't even understand why someone like Tara Lipinski is continuously called back to comment on these skaters, and I find her to be always almost too critical on not just Yuna but on most skaters. In today's skating world, she would never in a million years have a chance to win a medal in even worlds. Gold in my opinion is probably 10000 times better than Tara.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
What did Tara say exactly? Why is Tara always so harsh on Yuna? I remember her saying that for Yuna's first come back after 2010 Olympics, her Giselle didn't have fire or whatever. Honestly, Tara Lipinski is said to be (or at least I heard everyone I know say that) one of the worst Olympic champions of all time, with her tiny jumps and no artistry. I don't even understand why someone like Tara Lipinski is continuously called back to comment on these skaters, and I find her to be always almost too critical on not just Yuna but on most skaters. In today's skating world, she would never in a million years have a chance to win a medal in even worlds. Gold in my opinion is probably 10000 times better than Tara.
Two possible outcomes of her talking BS about Yuna: Either she won't be called back to commentate anymore or she will become someone everyone loves to hate and NBC will love her for that. Any publicity is good publicity.