Who Will Be Dominating Men's Figure Skating? | Golden Skate

Who Will Be Dominating Men's Figure Skating?

jace93

On the Ice
It's hard to say... obviously right now both Yuzuru and Patrick(if he continues) have the edge, but four years ago no one would have betted on yuzuru to become an olympic gold medalist... I personally don't think that both Ten and Liebers will leave much of an impression, so Iwould say that the ones who RIGHT NOW could try to challenge the former two for the gold (in worlds as well in the olympics) are in no particular order Maxim Kovtun, Han Yan, Javier Fernandez and Jason Brown (if he gets a quad), other people that could become contenders are IMO Farris if he get some consistences, Nathan Chen, Bojiang Jin, Adian Piktev and Shoma uno (if he finnaly becomes able to land his jum and he ups his TES) if their passage from junior to senior is smooth...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think the men's is reaching a really exciting time where no one man will dominate, but several will fight. Yuzuru Hanyu, Han Yan, Max Aaron, Jason Brown, Joshua Farris, Artur Gachinski...the wealth of talent and excitement in those six names alone is overwhelming, and they're just the surface scratch.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think the men's is reaching a really exciting time where no one man will dominate, but several will fight. Yuzuru Hanyu, Han Yan, Max Aaron, Jason Brown, Joshua Farris, Artur Gachinski...the wealth of talent and excitement in those six names alone is overwhelming, and they're just the surface scratch.

:unsure:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
4 years is such a long time span... with the difficulties the men are attempting these days, I'm afraid a lot of them won't have very long careers, maybe even due to injury.

Maybe Yuzuru could be dominating, but given how he always wants to go for something new, I think he'll never be consistent and thus always beatable (said in a recent interview he wants to land 4Lo in competition, wants to learn quad-quad combinations in practice). If Patrick sticks around, he's obviously right next to Yuzuru. Han Yan is very promising too, coming in 7th in his first big stage senior event! If Jason gets his quad, he'll be a tough contender too. The future ahead looks so amazing! :love:

UnChosen

On the Ice
Too hard to say.

For all I know Boyang Jin could come out in a few years and land the quad lutz that apparently he's been landing cleanly in practice now...No one expected Hanyu bursting out with Chan beating technical four years ago.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I really like 3 men:
Yuzuru
Patrick
Jason

These are the guys I'm interested in:)

qwertyskates

Medalist
I must admit even though I feel guilt and worry about pushing the Men to do quads and increasing their likelihood of injury, I can't help hankering for that WOW when I see a textbook tripe axel or quad as they fly across the rink. It's really not good, we must care more for the skaters' health and wellbeing...:disapp: How do we find a balance?

spikydurian

Medalist
Hanyu, Hanyu, Hanyu (assuming Patrick retires). Nipping at his heels may be Ten, Han Yan and Brown. Ten has the highest possibility of beating Hanyu within the next two years if he gets his quads consistent. Han Yan needs to work on his skating skills and choreography. Brown definitely needs quads because the other three has quads.

Jin relies too munch on his jumps to win. He must improve his skating skills.

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
I really hope Javier Fernández can manage to be World Champion at least once during this Olympic cycle. To have World Champions from non-traditional countries can be very refreshing to the sport (something like Carolina Kostner). Denis Ten is a spectacular male skater, tho.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I definitely dont see Chan continuing and even if he does he will probably start going down with age and a bizarre coaching coach. Hanyu is the only one I could see dominating. Definitely nobody else possible. I think it is also possible Fernandez, Ten, and a few others all have a shot at winning major titles, along with Hanyu, and if he stays Chan, and thus nobody dominates. So in short it will either be Hanyu or an open competition between several or a handful of men with no dominance.

caelum

On the Ice
Chan is retiring. I suspect his Olympic experience has been too heart-breaking for him, I doubt he can get enough mental strength to continue and he'd be 27 by 2018 and that's really pushing it for anyone not named Plushenko. What would be the point? He changed men's figure skating forever, he has 3 WC titles ... why continue?

Hanyu will likely be untouchable in the coming years because his PCS will inflate to astronomical levels. He already scored nearly 91 PCS in his FS with two falls and sloppy presentation. He'll be 95 within two year and that alone will make him nearly untouchable without a complete disaster. If he gets the 4S down and improves his mediocre spins, then he'll be the most dominate skater ever. The only wildcard here is will his already shaky stamina hold up as he ages?

As far as other men of the future. Denis Ten seems plausible, perhaps Jason Brown, but I have a feeling that he's not going to master the quad so I don't think he'll become a major competitive force (though he'll be fun to watch). The current crop of men don't seem too impressive to me, aside from Hanyu and Ten. There are some young guys, people like Adian Pitkeev or Nathan Chen that have enormous potential, but they won't probably come into their own for a few years, probably after Hanyu retires in 2018.

miki88

Medalist
I hope Jason Brown can increase his technical difficulty and consistency. I used to be a fan of Hanyu's skating but I'm less enthused by his skating due to uninspiring programs, lack of improvement in his posture and lines, and tendency to skate sloppy in his long programs. I felt he has been propped up in PCS recently, not unlike Chan. Brown has far better presentation, musicality, interpretation, better spins, lines, and overall refinement.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
I'm curious about the wear and tear the next generation of male skaters will undergo. They're attempting more quads and training them at a younger age. On top of that, their spins levels are also high which can lead to injuries as well. I fear that many of them will end up with short careers.