Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Will Kim Yu-na be remembered more for her artistry or for technical abilities?

On the Ice

Will Kim Yu-na be remembered more for her artistry or for technical abilities?

When Kim Yu-na first burst into skating, she was renowned for her jumps and skating skills. Her triple-triple and double axel triple toe made her famous. However, at these last olympics, some commentators remarked on Kim's artistry. Sandra on NBC thought Kim was head and shoulder's above the rest of the women in terms of artistry. Do you think Kim will be remembered as an artist or for her powerful jumps?

Rinkside
    She will be remembered as a complete skater.

The whole package
    Edit : and her great personality and humility

Custom Title
    I think she will be remembered for being complete and dependable, especially under an unquantifiable amount of pressure.

edit: and for her grace as a person

Banned
    She'll be remembered for having everything...essentially a complete and beautiful skater.

Banned
    I hope she's remembered most as a good woman.

I think it was Tracy Wilson who called her a "gentle soul".

Custom Title
    The reason why she could pull off such an artistic presence is because she had technical prowess. You cannot be artistic if you are scared of jumps or anything else for that matter. Just ask David Wilson and why Yuna is a special case. Alternatively, you can watch other skaters who were choreographed by Wilson and see the difference.

Everything a skater should be.

Tripping on the Podium
    Complete package. Both techniques and artistry.
    plus humble and graceful personality.

Custom Title
    not to mention how much she's donated to charities.. her entire twitter is filled with tweets about children in need, etc etc etc

Banned
    A great combination of both and probably above all a great competitor, the main characteristic synonymous with the great champions like Kwan, Kim, Witt, etc...

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by junesong2 View Post
    She will be remembered as a complete skater.
    This.

The skater with the nerve of steel.

If her showing in 2010 Olympics wasn't evidence enough, Sochi 2014 tells me she may possibly be the gutsiest skater in the history of skating. Going into that free skating last, under that terrifying circumstance of the audience rooting desperately against you, and she never wilted. She didn't crumble and rose above everything.

I'd like to see Tara (ugh), or any other skater, to be able to pull out the program of that technical precision and artistry in her shoes.

Ugh, Tara's comment. Still infuriates me.

Custom Title
    "There was a skater called Kim Yuna."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bebevia View Post
    "There was a skater called Kim Yuna."
    Indeed. Technical prowess + Magical artistry + Nerve of steel + Graceful demeanor + Aura of Queen on the ice.

We may not see the like again, I am afraid.

Those who are bitter about her accomplishment and reputations on this forum are pathetic beings. I have tried to ignore them and will continue to do so even in her absence.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast