Fan Reaction to Olympic Ladies Event | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Fan Reaction to Olympic Ladies Event

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is that true that KGB agents are among us on this board? I am outta here:slink:

Anyone with access to the 'internets' can create an account here and post. Anyone that googles a figure skater or an event can land here and lurk. Even the KGB:confused2:

Becki

Medalist
I feel so bad for Adelina. She doesn't deserve all this...it's not like she rigged the scores. I don't think people should be cyberbullying her for something she had little control over. She went out, skated her hearts out and was rewarded big scores (even if super inflated) for her performances.

This is just sick.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
On a separate note, the animated gif of the Russian judge hugging Adelina right after Yuna's skate is going viral: http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/that-is-just-so-figure-skating-conflict-of-interest-caught-in-hug-gone-viral-022214

As far as I heard, D/W hugged the american technical controller or judge too, didn't they? Those are all people involved with the sport, it's not necessarily a sign of being corrupt that they know each other. Additionally, Adelina said herself she was so overwhelmed by her win, she just hugged pretty much everyone, including a lot of people she didn't even know.
So while I get why this looks bad, it's again nothing that should be held against Adelina as a person.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
As far as I heard, D/W hugged the american technical controller or judge too, didn't they? Those are all people involved with the sport, it's not necessarily a sign of being corrupt that they know each other. Additionally, Adelina said herself she was so overwhelmed by her win, she just hugged pretty much everyone, including a lot of people she didn't even know.
So while I get why this looks bad, it's again nothing that should be held against Adelina as a person.

Adelina shouldn't be blamed for hugging a fellow Russian moments after winning gold. The ISU and IOC however should be blamed to the nth degree for allowing such a disgraceful example of conflict of interest on the judging panel.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Adelina shouldn't be blamed for hugging a fellow Russian moments after winning gold. The ISU and IOC however should be blamed to the nth degree for allowing such a disgraceful example of conflict of interest on the judging panel.

The ISU should be ashamed they still have rats like Shekhovtseva and Balkov involved in the sport. What other sport besides rythmic gymnastics would ever allow such wicked, evil, people who have been found dozens of times cheating, bullying, bribing, fixing over the phone, and even physically attacking + emotionaly berating other judges on numerous occasions to continue to hold a post at all. If the ISU had any integrity such individuals would have been thrown out of the sport more than 20 years ago. I was floored after the Nagano Olympics they continued with only a minor suspension for Balkov. I was so young then I was naive to how figure skating worked, but I sure understood how it worked instantly at that moment.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
WeakAnkles said:

No disagreeing with that on my part.

Finnstep

Final Flight
There were many comments in Google-Russian to kill herself and so on:( I think they were reported. And many nasty comments in English like "You are so ugly/don't smile/yuna queen/u cheater" And MUCH nastier, that I WON'T write here. I'm surprised by the attack. It's VICIOUS! You'll think that koreans live and breathe Yuna, she is their goddess..

Actually, I doubt that the people who've left those comments on Sotnikova's Instagram account are Yu-Na fans, or if they are, they don't deserve to be called Yu-Na fans. I've seen some Yu-Na haters do similar things so that they can make Yu-Na and her fans look bad. In fact, like I've posted on another thread, the actual Yu-Na fans are against doing things like this to Sotnikova because they know that it's Yu-Na who would be eventually blamed for all of this.

Anyway, I hope they'd stop leaving those comments on Sotnikova's Instagram account, because they're doing nothing to help Yu-Na.

+Also, Sale is being attacked for saying that she disagree with the results. What's the difference between the Russian fans who attack Sale for disagreeing with the ladies' results and the people who leave nasty comments on Sotnikova's Instagram account?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
+Also, Sale is being attacked for saying that she disagree with the results. What's the difference between the Russian fans who attack Sale for disagreeing with the ladies' results and the people who leave nasty comments on Sotnikova's Instagram account?

Sale would know all about disagreeing with results...she was part of the team who was given a second gold medal for disagreeing with results!

louisa05

Final Flight

I don't blame Adelina for that. But the way she runs across to the woman is quite a demonstration of how deep the conflict of interest was. It was not as if it was one more person in the crowd, but looked more like someone Adelina knows very well. She simply should not be judging major competitions because of her husband's position and their relationships with skaters. And Cinquanta's blithe dismissal of it was absolutely appalling. No major sport would get a free pass on such a blatant conflict of interest for an official. I said in another thread, this was like the Seahawks' owner's son being a ref at the Super Bowl. It would not happen, and if it did, the press would not ignore it.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sale would know all about disagreeing with results...she was part of the team who was given a second gold medal for disagreeing with results!

The 2nd gold medal was awarded after a vote-trading scheme was reported by a French judge who had been pressured into it. If it had been an ordinary protest, there probably wouldn't have been a 2nd GM.

starrynight

On the Ice

As usual, our misleading demagogue Sky omitted an important perspective in the article: this is written by a Korean journalist citing the analyses of Koreans only. So this is self-refection or more like self-criticism on what they have done. Not an angry defense thrown to the world. Now Koreans look less fanatic. This makes me hope to see a NYTimes article by a Russian journalist reflecting on their blatant home advantage.

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
I really feel bad for all the skaters when something like this occurs. They were all involved in the competition. The last thing that they would want is a disputed result. It makes one wonder how many of them were held up or down in the final result whether they were on the medal stand or not.

Back in 2002 it was not just Jamie and David who got robbed. I thought that Kyoko and John who skated a perfect program had earned 4th place, not Fifth which went to Tatiana and Maxim. That was an indication of things to come.

sk8in

Match Penalty
This is the ISU's fault for creating an opaque system, and trying to sweep the controversy under the rug.