Fan Reaction to Olympic Ladies Event | Golden Skate

Fan Reaction to Olympic Ladies Event

Ambivalent

On the Ice
Ugh disgusting disgusting. This Olympics is a sham and disappointment allround. Gross judging and gross reaction from many Yuna fans.

P.S. Julia is absolutely livid about the gold medals. You can tell :lol:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
She wanted to win individual cpmpetition, but she crumbled under pressure:(. She is so young..
I think she can become the greatest of all time if she continues to improve. She has it ALL

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
http://instagram.com/adelinasotnikova
Take a look. Dis-gus-ting
PS - she understands English

I am glad for her sake that she probably can't read Korean. I can't read Korean but it's not hard to guess the subject of those comments.

She wanted to win individual cpmpetition, but she crumbled under pressure:(. She is so young..
I think she can become the greatest of all time if she continues to improve. She has it ALL

No. Her jumps are too small, too ugly, with bad technique (especially on her double Axel). As soon as Julia turns into a young woman she will lose them. Oh, and that flutz is gross and needs to be fixed, and she needs to learn to listen to the music and feel it. But she's fifteen, there's time. The major problem is the jumps. I don't know that they can be fixed now.

I wonder if the Yuna fans who want to rip away Adelina's medal are many of the same Miraibots who wanted to tear Polina's Olympic dream away from her? Food for thought.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
There were many comments in Google-Russian to kill herself and so on:( I think they were reported. And many nasty comments in English like "You are so ugly/don't smile/yuna queen/u cheater" And MUCH nastier, that I WON'T write here. I'm surprised by the attack. It's VICIOUS! You'll think that koreans live and breathe Yuna, she is their goddess..

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There were many comments in Google-Russian to kill herself and so on:( I think they were reported. And many nasty comments in English like "You are so ugly/don't smile/yuna queen/u cheater" And MUCH nastier, that I WON'T write here. I'm surprised by the attack. It's VICIOUS! You'll think that koreans live and breathe Yuna, she is their goddess..

It makes me worried for Yuna for the next Olympics, to be honest. I worry she's going to be pressured into skating like she was here and then if she falls short again it will be even worse. I fear they will turn on her like the Russians did to Plushy.

elif

Medalist

I have never seen fans like this in figure skating. :eek:

qwertyskates

Medalist
It is a BIG mistake to piss off a WHOLE nation, one like Russia...:disapp:

I've seen loads of malicious Youtube videos too, Google to see. Sotnikova's poorly executed FS are used to misrepresent her Sochi performance.

They just make themselves look bad, no one is going to hate Sotnikova because they hate and attack her. In fact, the opposite will happen, there will be some pushback against this horror that has nothing to do with sports or sportsmanship.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

the NYTIMES reported about this story: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/23/w...r-olympic-skating-disappointment.html?hp&_r=0

South Korea Puts Anger Aside After Olympic Skating Disappointment

So when she was dethroned in Sochi by a Russian teenager in a much-debated decision, it was not surprising that Ms. Kim’s country, which has long tied international sports achievements to self-worth, reacted with anger.

A popular novelist said he would remember these Games as the “Suchi Olympics,” using the word for “humiliation.” A petition on Change.org calling for an investigation by the International Skating Union drew more than 1.9 million signatures, most of them from South Koreans. And many online commentators said Ms. Kim had been cheated of a gold medal because her country was “small and weak.”

South Korea’s focus on sports achievements seems to be rooted in a sense of having been bullied by other nations. After the Korean War, the country used nationalism to consolidate internal unity amid economic hardship. South Koreans often treated sports as an avenue to affirm the national pride they desperately wanted.

JayW

Final Flight
Indeed, some comments there are very disturbing! AS did nothing wrong, those people need to leave the girl alone.

JayW

Final Flight
the NYTIMES reported about this story: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/23/w...r-olympic-skating-disappointment.html?hp&_r=0

it was not surprising that Ms. Kim’s country, which has long tied international sports achievements to self-worth, reacted with anger.

A petition on Change.org calling for an investigation by the International Skating Union drew more than 1.9 million signatures, most of them from South Koreans.

South Korea’s focus on sports achievements seems to be rooted in a sense of having been bullied by other nations.

Very good psycho analysis by NYT, this happened many times before, e.g. Apollo Ohno controversy. This kind of behavior/mentality is quite irrational.

But it has little to do Yuna herself, not to mention AS' win is debatable. The discussion should be about the skating and judging only.

YunaBliss

On the Ice

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
There are vicious fans bordering on psychopaths everywhere, including Goldenskate. Don't generalize that as "Korean Fans" please. That's like saying sky_fly20 represents "American fans", or wherever he is from.

On a separate note, the animated gif of the Russian judge hugging Adelina right after Yuna's skate is going viral: http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/that-is-just-so-figure-skating-conflict-of-interest-caught-in-hug-gone-viral-022214

The administrator corrected the title - not me. I believe Yuna fan is a good title for this, actually...

koheikun90

On the Ice
:cry: as much as i do not agree with the results, this is just mean and absolutely unnecessary. words like sl**, c** and whatever obsenitiies. shes a 17 year old teenager. dont make her feel bad for her success. this is pure cyberbulling. i hope yu na sees this and reaches out to her fans to let it go.

cooper

Medalist
There are vicious fans bordering on psychopaths everywhere, including Goldenskate. Don't generalize that as "Korean Fans" please. That's like saying sky_fly20 represents "American fans", or wherever he is from.

On a separate note, the animated gif of the Russian judge hugging Adelina right after Yuna's skate is going viral: http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/that-is-just-so-figure-skating-conflict-of-interest-caught-in-hug-gone-viral-022214

sky_fly is whining about fans behavior?? lolz. this is the same poster who likes to bully other skaters that he/she doesn't like in this board.. by posting some nasty things.. remember the whole weight debate about?? and claiming that inflated canadians.. so much hypocrisy..

btw i agree that these so called bots are disgusting... but some of you are acting like a saint.. :rolleye:

cjuarez

Rinkside
Leave Adelina alone!!! She was not the judge, she, like all figure skaters had to do lots of sacrifices, hard training, etc If koreans dont agree they can write the isu not adelina!!

PftJump

On the Ice
"Yeah, Koreans...disgusting. Russians ( playing drums, vuvuzela in FS rink)... truly barbarous."

This is the reaction what you expect? About this thread?