Closing Ceremony | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Closing Ceremony

anyanka

Record Breaker
I must say I didn't like very much the opening ceremony. Not been biased here but the opening ceremony (winter olympics) that I loved most was Torino 2006. On the other hand the closing ceremony just blow me away. Beautiful, just marvellous, and I confess I cried too. :eek::
The best closing ceremony I can remember.

I agree that the closing was great. It seemed to have been more tightly choreographed, and the ring "malfunction" self-parody was a stroke of genius. Good that everyone had a laugh, much like the Vancouver closing when the fourth leg had a "do-over". I was at the Vancouver closing in person and cried when Neil Young played as the flame was being extinguished. It's one of my happiest memories in life.

But I think every single Olympic opening ceremony paled in comparison to Beijing 2008, and every closing to Sydney 2000. But that's just me. :)

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
It was a beautiful closing ceremony! But I don't know why that giant bear scared me -.-

seniorita

Record Breaker
Lucky you to have done so much at the Olympics! I knew a few people who were also there and was envious whenever I saw the pictures go up on social media.

Question: one thing I wondered is, was there plenty to do if you didn't get to the events? Event tickets were expensive, so if you didn't get to be at a different event every day, did you take walk around the town and do sightseeing tours? I'm curious now about the area and what it had to offer. And of course not everyone got to a lot of events there I'm certain, but I'd love to know what else there was to do around there. (Having never been to Russia myself, of course.)

Well it wasnt a typical russian landscape I imagine, the weather was too sunny and hot, except for one day it rained but I was in the arena and I didnt notice, the whole Sochi area (over 50 km of coastal we did tour by train ) is by the sea, I dont know, the days I didnt have FS we saw Sochi and Adler by walking and the river/ mountains by train, went for a walk by the sea, I know there was a huge park-wood in the area, some cool cave , waterfalls, and museums and churches inside Sochi, these kind of stuff but for the outside places I mentioned we thought to stay in train boundaries for safety reasons and for the museums I thought I have seen enough already to spend my day there. In the Olympic park there were plenty of stuff to do, if you didnt have an event the entrance was something less than 5 euros, it was the Russian, Korean and Swiss house there, I didnt manage to visit Russian because the line was huge, the Bosco shop had a km of queue every day :( the sponsor's houses-you could be the face of the games for 30 secs in 9x6 m 3D screen :p
I dont know deatails about other than FS tickets, for other sports I bought the cheap ones, the tickets for some started from 10 euros and the transport was free anyway, so you could see many sports either in mountains or coastal daily, my top was hockey women Finland vs Swiss:biggrin:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Well it wasnt a typical russian landscape I imagine, the weather was too sunny and hot, except for one day it rained but I was in the arena and I didnt notice, the whole Sochi area (over 50 km of coastal we did tour by train ) is by the sea, I dont know, the days I didnt have FS we saw Sochi and Adler by walking and the river/ mountains by train, went for a walk by the sea, I know there was a huge park-wood in the area, some cool cave , waterfalls, and museums and churches inside Sochi, these kind of stuff but for the outside places I mentioned we thought to stay in train boundaries for safety reasons and for the museums I thought I have seen enough already to spend my day there. In the Olympic park there were plenty of stuff to do, if you didnt have an event the entrance was something less than 5 euros, it was the Russian, Korean and Swiss house there, I didnt manage to visit Russian because the line was huge, the Bosco shop had a km of queue every day :( the sponsor's houses-you could be the face of the games for 30 secs in 9x6 m 3D screen :p
I dont know deatails about other than FS tickets, for other sports I bought the cheap ones, the tickets for some started from 10 euros and the transport was free anyway, so you could see many sports either in mountains or coastal daily, my top was hockey women Finland vs Swiss:biggrin:

They started at TEN EUROS? Impressive! Silly question: why not Rubles? Or did they accept other currencies as well like US$?

That's cheaper than me trying to get cheapo last minute tix for Vancouver events. I ended up at the speed skating one day and didn't want to pony up $100 for last minute seats for the men's finals, although since Shani Davis won that day I'm kicking myself for being too cheap. :p

I wonder if it was possible to do day trips to other countries around there. I know it's sort of dangerous in parts.

Alba

Record Breaker
I agree that the closing was great. It seemed to have been more tightly choreographed, and the ring "malfunction" self-parody was a stroke of genius. Good that everyone had a laugh, much like the Vancouver closing when the fourth leg had a "do-over". I was at the Vancouver closing in person and cried when Neil Young played as the flame was being extinguished. It's one of my happiest memories in life.

But I think every single Olympic opening ceremony paled in comparison to Beijing 2008, and every closing to Sydney 2000. But that's just me. :)

I never saw Beijing ceremony tbh, but I've heard that it was beautiful.
However, I was referring to the winter olympics ceremony only. I think summer olimpics ceremonies can't be compare with those of winter, two different things completely.
I might be wrong because I know nothing about these things, but I think that for summer ceremonies you have more options in terms of choreography, scenography etc.? I don't know, just my thoughts.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I never saw Beijing ceremony tbh, but I've heard that it was beautiful.
However, I was referring to the winter olympics ceremony only. I think summer olimpics ceremonies can't be compare with those of winter, two different things completely.
I might be wrong because I know nothing about these things, but I think that for summer ceremonies you have more options in terms of choreography, scenography etc.? I don't know, just my thoughts.

Ah, understood.

Well if we're comparing winter-to-winter ceremonies, I personally loved the Torino and Vancouver ones for opening, and Sochi for closing. And I'm sure the summer ones likely had bigger budgets to play with, and that's likely the difference.

seniorita

Record Breaker
They started at TEN EUROS? Impressive! Silly question: why not Rubles? Or did they accept other currencies as well like US$?

That's cheaper than me trying to get cheapo last minute tix for Vancouver events. I ended up at the speed skating one day and didn't want to pony up $100 for last minute seats for the men's finals, although since Shani Davis won that day I'm kicking myself for being too cheap. :p
I wonder if it was possible to do day trips to other countries around there. I know it's sort of dangerous in parts.
The price was in rubles firsly , I just mentioned it on euros. I dont think they accepted other currencies but everything related with Olympics could be paid with Visa card, even a bottle of water. The country close to Sochi is Geaorgia, I dont know if it would have been wise, I dont even know if you didnt need a reentrance Visa after for Russia. Many people I know flew to St Peters and Moscow between events.
I wanted to see speed skating too and Grand Slalom but these were also expensive and also I saw 5 figure skating events in 6 days so my week was packed. But i regret I didnt see more sports i cannot see anywhere else.