Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48

Thread: Closing Ceremony

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    340
    Beautiful ceremony, funny resolution of the fifth Olympic ring mishap.
    Beautiful execution of the Russian anthem. Funny to see the skaters sing.
    Adelina looks really beautiful with loose hair.
    I am disappointed I could't find Mikaela in the US crowd. Is she really there?

  2. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    in the end Sochi was great and spectacular
    not even the propaganda and slamming deterred the games

    Russia is proud
    and people in Russia are crying because they don't want the games to end and are very happy of their athletes performance
    but alas everything always comes to an end

  3. #18
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    52
    that was best ceremony I ever seen

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    165
    I watched and re-watched the closing ceremony on CBC/CTV but I hated as they butchered it with the stupid adds. I managed to watch the first part on NBC late, at midnight, only to realize how much I lost with thous boring adds. I wonder if anybody cares for those adds, as I always cut off the sound and look elsewhere. I don't buy things based on advertising. Sorry for the out of topic lament!
    I loved it! I love classical music and ballet, so this was a delight!

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    340
    I really loved and I truly appreciated the tribute to the Russian writers persecuted by the Stalin's regime. I was shocked when I saw it happening and I never believed it would be possible. So much has changed...

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    in the end Sochi was great and spectacular
    not even the propaganda and slamming deterred the games

    Russia is proud
    and people in Russia are crying because they don't want the games to end and are very happy of their athletes performance
    but alas everything always comes to an end
    Yea, Sochi was SO great and SO SO spectacular!!! It had mistakes from the opening ceremony (Olympic ring failure), numerous injuries due to dangerous conditions (quote, Shaun White says halfpipe 'dangerous, crappy'), and judges being bribed and medias like NYtimes, Washington Post criticizing, etc Yuna's robbed Gold medal!!! I learned a new word "Russiaflation!!" That's like the best Olympic EVER!

    Oh, and we all know that Russians are super proud of Putin. He's like the most democratic, peaceful and just ruler on earth!!!

  7. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by figurejennah View Post
    Yea, Sochi was SO great and SO SO spectacular!!! It had mistakes from the opening ceremony (Olympic ring failure), numerous injuries due to dangerous conditions (quote, Shaun White says halfpipe 'dangerous, crappy'), and judges being bribed and medias like NYtimes, Washington Post criticizing, etc Yuna's robbed Gold medal!!! I learned a new word "Russiaflation!!" That's like the best Olympic EVER!

    Oh, and we all know that Russians are super proud of Putin. He's like the most democratic, peaceful and just ruler on earth!!!
    a bitter melon pill will go a long way for taking off the jealousy

    the best opening and closing in the Winter Olympic, they even poked the Olympic ring not opening failure at the closing
    there no deaths that happened in the athletes in Sochi, unlike in the past games like Vancouver
    I doubt Pyongchang can match that or the achievements made here
    1st place in medal tally,

    maybe ask Obama about that and the wonders of Afghanistan, Iraq, Kansas and Arizona

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    a bitter melon pill will go a long way for taking off the jealousy

    the best opening and closing in the Winter Olympic, they even poked the Olympic ring not opening failure at the closing
    there no deaths that happened in the athletes in Sochi, unlike in the past games like Vancouver
    I doubt Pyongchang can match that or the achievements made here
    1st place in medal tally,

    maybe ask Obama about that and the wonders of Afghanistan, Iraq, Kansas and Arizona
    There is no jealousy here. I don't think any country would be jealous of Putin and his ridiculousness. And obviously whether Sochi Olympic's opening and closing ceremonies were best in the Winter Olympics is highly highly questionable, although you are free to express your "own" thoughts. I also don't care about what will happen in Pyongchang. All I care about is what happened in Sochi. It's a shame that Russians don't understand that Olympics is not all about winning medals. Ok, Russia got more medals than the U.S., so does it now make it a better country than the U.S. or anywhere else? ...................? Was it really worth bribing the judges to win that one extra medal away from Yuna Kim and instead taint the country's image? From your statement, I see that you guys think it was worth it. HAH.
    I am also 100% sure that majority of the people in the world would rather live in the U.S. under Obama's reign than Putin's.

    Putin’s Run for Gold - http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/20...sia-corruption
    At $50 billion and counting, the 2014 Winter Olympics, in Sochi, will be the most expensive Olympic Games ever. Intended to showcase the power of Vladimir Putin’s Russia, they may instead highlight its problems: organized crime, state corruption, and the terrorist threat within its borders


    Sochi: Worst Olympics Travel Destination Ever? - http://business.time.com/2014/02/08/...tination-ever/
    It’s a nightmare to get there. Hotels aren’t ready for guests. The visa alone costs over $200 if you want it processed in a reasonable time frame. When you get there, don’t expect to be able to ski. Then there’s the risk of terrorism. No wonder so few foreigners are bothering to go to Sochi, Russia, for the 2014 Winter Olympics.

  9. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by figurejennah View Post
    There is no jealousy here. I don't think any country would be jealous of Putin and his ridiculousness. And obviously whether Sochi Olympic's opening and closing ceremonies were best in the Winter Olympics is highly highly questionable, although you are free to express your "own" thoughts. I also don't care about what will happen in Pyongchang. All I care about is what happened in Sochi. It's a shame that Russians don't understand that Olympics is not all about winning medals. Ok, Russia got more medals than the U.S., so does it now make it a better country than the U.S. or anywhere else? ...................? Was it really worth bribing the judges to win that one extra medal away from Yuna Kim and instead taint the country's image? From your statement, I see that you guys think it was worth it. HAH.
    I am also 100% sure that majority of the people in the world would rather live in the U.S. under Obama's reign than Putin's.

    Putin’s Run for Gold - http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/20...sia-corruption
    At $50 billion and counting, the 2014 Winter Olympics, in Sochi, will be the most expensive Olympic Games ever. Intended to showcase the power of Vladimir Putin’s Russia, they may instead highlight its problems: organized crime, state corruption, and the terrorist threat within its borders


    Sochi: Worst Olympics Travel Destination Ever? - http://business.time.com/2014/02/08/...tination-ever/
    It’s a nightmare to get there. Hotels aren’t ready for guests. The visa alone costs over $200 if you want it processed in a reasonable time frame. When you get there, don’t expect to be able to ski. Then there’s the risk of terrorism. No wonder so few foreigners are bothering to go to Sochi, Russia, for the 2014 Winter Olympics.
    lol, then your in the wrong forum , bots are not allowed
    and dont bother, the Sochi 2014 was marketed and catered towards local russian citizens

    boo hoo
    sure ask Afghanistan if they are happy wih Oboama

    what happened in Sochi, it finished with a bang, wowed opening and athletes were great and new competitions were held
    its done, its finished and wil be remembered forever. next !!!!

  10. #25
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    87
    The only complaints about venues I heard, including the half pipe, was related to weather. I'm pretty sure Putin does not control the weather. If 50-60 degree temps is normal in Sochi this time of year (no idea if it is) then it was pretty stupid of Putin & IOC to choose that location, given how many other spots in Russia it could have been held, but I think they did the best they could trying to deal with melted snow and rain.

    I can't remember a single opening ceremony that went off without a snafu and both Vancouver (glitch with the weird torch lighting contraption) and London had more disruptive technical flaws than the ring that didn't open, so I dunno why people keep bringing it up.

    I don't like Putin. I think there were plenty of reasons not to award Sochi the games, as there have been with many cities who have hosted, but overall, I think they did a very nice job.

  11. #26
    Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    913
    I know it's the old Soviet anthem set to new words...

    But the Russian anthem just sounds so inspiring.

    I'm going to google the words...

  12. #27
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    52
    I like the big bear the best...I cry a little

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    lol, then your in the wrong forum , bots are not allowed
    and dont bother, the Sochi 2014 was marketed and catered towards local russian citizens

    boo hoo
    sure ask Afghanistan if they are happy wih Oboama

    what happened in Sochi, it finished with a bang, wowed opening and athletes were great and new competitions were held
    its done, its finished and wil be remembered forever. next !!!!
    Except the issue is, the Olympics were never meant to be marketed and catered so heavily towards local citizens only. They are supposed to be a neutral gathering place to celebrate world-wide athletic achievement. When that mission is perverted, THAT is what the games get remembered for.

    And I would think twice about mentioning Afghanistan. Russia has its own very sordid history of entanglement there.

    New competitions are held every Olympics. Sochi is simply the latest installment of "new events."

    Big is not necessarily better. Both Lillehamer and Vancouver were relatively modest Winter Olympics, and both are held in high regard.

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    One of my favorite moments was the humorous reference to the fifth Olympic ring and its delayed opening.

    I was also stirred by the Tchaikovsky Coronation March used for the entrance of the gold medalists carrying the Olympic flag for the handoff to Korea. No one does triumphal marches like Russian composers, from Glinka on down. And this one has that catchy Polonaise rhythm that always makes my feet tap and my heart beat faster.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dc0l9tkQPU

    I was impressed that they showed banned writers like Brodsky.

    As a lover of classical music, I'm biased in favor of the music possibilities this country has to draw from. Norway, Canada, and the U.S. might be able to compete in terms of popular or folk music, but with classical, I think Russia owns the franchise! However, in the absolute sense, I don't think one can make a statement about how this was the greatest closing ceremony ever. The exception to this statement: It's entirely suitable for a Russian to feel that this was the greatest ceremony of all time. Of all moments for national pride, this one is the most understandable.

  15. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Except the issue is, the Olympics were never meant to be marketed and catered so heavily towards local citizens only. They are supposed to be a neutral gathering place to celebrate world-wide athletic achievement. When that mission is perverted, THAT is what the games get remembered for.
    why not ? if 70-90% of attendees were russians
    that means locals supported it, the only thing that matters is russians were happy
    again Sochi was marketed for local citizens not foreigners

    overall, Sochi was better than Vancouver for sure

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •