Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Closing Ceremony

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    At Vancouver there was also a cauldron related malfuction and a death at lugo, Sidney had wrong vault height, things might happen in such big event, so I dont think Russia's fifth ring was the only thing ever happened and it was too little comparing to their spectacular ceremony. Also there have been controversies over results, like in gymnastics 2004 all around men, or home advantage controversies like Final rings men.

Well I was in SOchi and I dont agree with the worst destination ever, while it didnt have any rich heritage like Moscow or St Peters, I think this is the reason it was easier to hold Olympics there, not much "distractions" so we had all day to run in the parks, mountains, the sea, great GREAT weather, I didnt feel the security worries, they had you checked in detail when entering the train wchi took you directly yo Oly park, by arrival the immigration procedure was really fast, airport is small and looked clean and new, the city from the airport was too close by the super new trains, that where a dozen an hour and punctual, we transfered from mountain cluster to coastal one daily back and forth, the scenery was amazing, you could see from the beach the coastal venues, the flame and above them the snowy mountains, the Olympic Park was huge and they even had electric cars for people who could not move, volunteers were very helpful and cheerful, the two three arenas I visited were really cool, food outside had all sort of things, fluffy mascots, my top on the list is the palm trees by the beach! Olympic Village was nearby too, behind arenas. I dont know if I would have this fun in a large city like Moscow, too complicated..
    I was also volunteer in Greek Olympics and I hold sentimentally high the opening and closing ceremony there where I took part, but I loved Russia's ceremonies,the colors , the music, the floating stuff, the
    Last edited by seniorita; 02-25-2014 at 04:35 AM.

Custom Title
    I loved so many things during the beautiful ceremony. First the funny resolution to the ring malfunction. Then the most beautiful rendition of the Russian Anthem by the children choir accompanied by all Russian gold medalists. I loved when Adelina and Elena were going crazy and sang their lungs off! Elena I think is the most beautiful athlete who competed at the Olympics. She is simply striking!
    Yulia is such a sweet and shy girl. And Plushenko forgot the lyrics of his own anthem! lol Not to even mention Ahn, who didn't even have a chance to sing the anthem! lol

Another funny moment when Apollo was interviewing Gracie. Hello, shouldn't be the other way around? Gracie, shouldn't you at least pay respect to who was interviewing you???

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    why not ? if 70-90% of attendees were russians
    that means locals supported it, the only thing that matters is russians were happy
    again Sochi was marketed for local citizens not foreigners

overall, Sochi was better than Vancouver for sure
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Except the issue is, the Olympics were never meant to be marketed and catered so heavily towards local citizens only. They are supposed to be a neutral gathering place to celebrate world-wide athletic achievement. When that mission is perverted, THAT is what the games get remembered for.

And I would think twice about mentioning Afghanistan. Russia has its own very sordid history of entanglement there.

New competitions are held every Olympics. Sochi is simply the latest installment of "new events."

Big is not necessarily better. Both Lillehamer and Vancouver were relatively modest Winter Olympics, and both are held in high regard.
    WeakAnkles, I think this argument is going no where with Russians. To your statement, sky_fly20 says "why not" and "the only thing that matters is russians were happy." lol

I had no idea since when Olympics became home-town party thing.

Obama vs. Stalin vs. Putin...

Yup I would choose Obama. I learned a lot about Russians after the Olympics : corruption and injustice are ok there. But then what did we really expect?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    At Vancouver there was also a cauldron related malfuction and a death at lugo, Sidney had wrong vault height, things might happen in such big event, so I dont think Russia's fifth ring was the only thing ever happened and it was too little comparing to their spectacular ceremony. Also there have been controversies over results, like in gymnastics 2004 all around men, or home advantage controversies like Final rings men.

Well I was in SOchi and I dont agree with the worst destination ever, while it didnt have any rich heritage like Moscow or St Peters, I think this is the reason it was easier to hold Olympics there, not much "distractions" so we had all day to run in the parks, mountains, the sea, great GREAT weather, I didnt feel the security worries, they had you checked in detail when entering the train wchi took you directly yo Oly park, by arrival the immigration procedure was really fast, airport is small and looked clean and new, the city from the airport was too close by the super new trains, that where a dozen an hour and punctual, we transfered from mountain cluster to coastal one daily back and forth, the scenery was amazing, you could see from the beach the coastal venues, the flame and above them the snowy mountains, the Olympic Park was huge and they even had electric cars for people who could not move, volunteers were very helpful and cheerful, the two three arenas I visited were really cool, food outside had all sort of things, fluffy mascots, my top on the list is the palm trees by the beach! Olympic Village was nearby too, behind arenas. I dont know if I would have this fun in a large city like Moscow, too complicated..
    I was also volunteer in Greek Olympics and I hold sentimentally high the opening and closing ceremony there where I took part, but I loved Russia's ceremonies,the colors , the music, the floating stuff, the
    I thought it was rather clever of them to play on the ring malfunction during the closing ceremony. That turns a mishap into a memory, which is always a nifty trick.

Figurejennah, no the argument is not. But then that's rather on par with the attitudes of the Sochi audiences, at least as seen on the live feeds and tv. It's an attitude I find perplexing and disheartening. The Olympic Games are not supposed to be the property of a single nation. The Atlanta Games were a mess, but at least I didn't get the feeling they were held simply to glorify Uncle Sam, know what I mean?

Custom Title
    Seniorita, I'm so glad both for your sake and for ours (because you're such a generous reporter) that you got to be at Sochi! I'm especially happy to hear how nicely everything turned out. It must be such a gorgeous place, with those huge mountains as a backdrop. I hope you'll tell us more about your time there.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    I thought it was rather clever of them to play on the ring malfunction during the closing ceremony. That turns a mishap into a memory, which is always a nifty trick.

?
    Mr. Ski always says, if you can't fix it, feature it.

In general I fell in love with local volunteers who did extra effort since their english was not the best but they were trying to solve any problems we had, like on the first day when we arrived from airport to coastal just to watch the TEAM FS, after like 48 hours on airports and figured out how huge the Oly park was that we needed like 40 mins to Iceberg by walking, they saw our desperate face and they offered to throw us with the small car although it was for elder or people with children etc, and did us a sightseeing tour of the park in between!

How nice was that!

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    I must say I didn't like very much the opening ceremony. Not been biased here but the opening ceremony (winter olympics) that I loved most was Torino 2006. On the other hand the closing ceremony just blow me away. Beautiful, just marvellous, and I confess I cried too.
    The best closing ceremony I can remember.

Custom Title
    Lucky you to have done so much at the Olympics! I knew a few people who were also there and was envious whenever I saw the pictures go up on social media.

Question: one thing I wondered is, was there plenty to do if you didn't get to the events? Event tickets were expensive, so if you didn't get to be at a different event every day, did you take walk around the town and do sightseeing tours? I'm curious now about the area and what it had to offer. And of course not everyone got to a lot of events there I'm certain, but I'd love to know what else there was to do around there. (Having never been to Russia myself, of course.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    I must say I didn't like very much the opening ceremony. Not been biased here but the opening ceremony (winter olympics) that I loved most was Torino 2006. On the other hand the closing ceremony just blow me away. Beautiful, just marvellous, and I confess I cried too.
    The best closing ceremony I can remember.
    I agree that the closing was great. It seemed to have been more tightly choreographed, and the ring "malfunction" self-parody was a stroke of genius. Good that everyone had a laugh, much like the Vancouver closing when the fourth leg had a "do-over". I was at the Vancouver closing in person and cried when Neil Young played as the flame was being extinguished. It's one of my happiest memories in life.

But I think every single Olympic opening ceremony paled in comparison to Beijing 2008, and every closing to Sydney 2000. But that's just me.

Custom Title
    Somewhere over the rainbow where blue birds fly
    It was a beautiful closing ceremony! But I don't know why that giant bear scared me -.-

Humans are hard wired to fear giant bears.

Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Lucky you to have done so much at the Olympics! I knew a few people who were also there and was envious whenever I saw the pictures go up on social media.

Question: one thing I wondered is, was there plenty to do if you didn't get to the events? Event tickets were expensive, so if you didn't get to be at a different event every day, did you take walk around the town and do sightseeing tours? I'm curious now about the area and what it had to offer. And of course not everyone got to a lot of events there I'm certain, but I'd love to know what else there was to do around there. (Having never been to Russia myself, of course.)
    Well it wasnt a typical russian landscape I imagine, the weather was too sunny and hot, except for one day it rained but I was in the arena and I didnt notice, the whole Sochi area (over 50 km of coastal we did tour by train ) is by the sea, I dont know, the days I didnt have FS we saw Sochi and Adler by walking and the river/ mountains by train, went for a walk by the sea, I know there was a huge park-wood in the area, some cool cave , waterfalls, and museums and churches inside Sochi, these kind of stuff but for the outside places I mentioned we thought to stay in train boundaries for safety reasons and for the museums I thought I have seen enough already to spend my day there. In the Olympic park there were plenty of stuff to do, if you didnt have an event the entrance was something less than 5 euros, it was the Russian, Korean and Swiss house there, I didnt manage to visit Russian because the line was huge, the Bosco shop had a km of queue every day :( the sponsor's houses-you could be the face of the games for 30 secs in 9x6 m 3D screen
    I dont know deatails about other than FS tickets, for other sports I bought the cheap ones, the tickets for some started from 10 euros and the transport was free anyway, so you could see many sports either in mountains or coastal daily, my top was hockey women Finland vs Swiss

Custom Title
    Well it wasnt a typical russian landscape I imagine, the weather was too sunny and hot, except for one day it rained but I was in the arena and I didnt notice, the whole Sochi area (over 50 km of coastal we did tour by train ) is by the sea, I dont know, the days I didnt have FS we saw Sochi and Adler by walking and the river/ mountains by train, went for a walk by the sea, I know there was a huge park-wood in the area, some cool cave , waterfalls, and museums and churches inside Sochi, these kind of stuff but for the outside places I mentioned we thought to stay in train boundaries for safety reasons and for the museums I thought I have seen enough already to spend my day there. In the Olympic park there were plenty of stuff to do, if you didnt have an event the entrance was something less than 5 euros, it was the Russian, Korean and Swiss house there, I didnt manage to visit Russian because the line was huge, the Bosco shop had a km of queue every day :( the sponsor's houses-you could be the face of the games for 30 secs in 9x6 m 3D screen
    I dont know deatails about other than FS tickets, for other sports I bought the cheap ones, the tickets for some started from 10 euros and the transport was free anyway, so you could see many sports either in mountains or coastal daily, my top was hockey women Finland vs Swiss
    They started at TEN EUROS? Impressive! Silly question: why not Rubles? Or did they accept other currencies as well like US$?

That's cheaper than me trying to get cheapo last minute tix for Vancouver events. I ended up at the speed skating one day and didn't want to pony up $100 for last minute seats for the men's finals, although since Shani Davis won that day I'm kicking myself for being too cheap. :P

I wonder if it was possible to do day trips to other countries around there. I know it's sort of dangerous in parts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast