Professor uses figure skating to teach students mathematical concepts | Golden Skate

Professor uses figure skating to teach students mathematical concepts

emma

Record Breaker
This makes me want to go back to school and take a lot of math classes with this professor! I suspect that taking her example of how to use math to construct a point winning program might raise a lot of fear in a lot of people who feel it will take the heart and soul out of skating. It, to me, is a fascinating conundrum.

This makes me want to go back to school and take a lot of math classes with this professor! I suspect that taking her example of how to use math to construct a point winning program might raise a lot of fear in a lot of people who feel it will take the heart and soul out of skating. It, to me, is a fascinating conundrum.

It's funny; one of our math people wanted to know about how skating is judged. She came to me in confusion because she had heard that someone had given YuNa "a zero," which she thought meant that a judge had awarded her a score of zero points. I realized that what she had heard was that someone had given a GOE of zero for one move. It seemed to me that I would help her to feel more at home with skating by showing her how all the components break down, since for her the math would be the most familiar part. I linked her to several articles and to some protocols for the Short Program, and she enjoyed learning about the system very much.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Haha I read it but it should have said "a great model for how to camouflage fraud under the cover of math and get away with it”:laugh: