Is Choreographing difficult? | Golden Skate

Is Choreographing difficult?

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
Every season our skaters go out onto the Ice and perform the routines. Imagine being the choreographer Someone. picks the music, then the choreographer takes that composition edit it and finding complementary music or editing the music into 4 or 4 1/2minutes.

usethis2

Medalist
According to some, after the lady's FS in these games, you no longer need choreo and shouldn't bother with such.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
The topic and question asked was "Is choreographing difficult?", not "Is choreographing needed?". There are already many many many threads to vent about how judging went down.

Nah I don't think it's difficult for experienced choreographers. They know the strengths and weaknesses of the skaters they choreograph for, and can visualize what the idea/concept they had in mind. A lot of the skating moves are pretty much "been there, done that", the hardest part would probably be keeping things fresh and still meet requirements. I'm scared to think what Sonya Tayeh could do with skaters. :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think it depends on the choreographer.

Someone like Lori Nichol, I doubt it would be difficult. She more or less reuses the same program for everyone with different music, and doesn't seem to put a lot of thought and care into it.

Rohene Ward is like a painter, and Jason is his muse; you can see individuality and flair and a level of thinking into the music and how Jason moves or has the ability to move.

I self-choreograph, and even at my very low level, it's not easy. You have to be able to visualise what goes where, and you also have to know exactly what your program needs to contain. And consider what the skater is capable of, as well.